Reaper's Gale [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Awesome!! Fener!! Never expected that! Five books after he was ripped out of his own realm!

And Toc!!! We haven't seen him since MoI. Now here he is.

Damn, this is such amazing stuff! I've never read a series that was so long and well-written; keeping things fascinating; characters having long-term roles, but not a rushed feeling to it all. Just incredible!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'll tell you something... If I happened upon the Throne of Ice, or any other damned Throne, I would have sat on it! Don't they give some degree of power and/or authority??? Sheesh!!!
Last edited by Onos T'oolan on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

The Gale will be blowing into my mailbox on friday! Woo-hoo!
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Very cool!!
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THE STUFF THAT'S HAPPENED!!!!!!!

And I still have about 80 pages to go. But damn!!!!
Spoiler
Onos Toolan is back!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D I don't know if he's got more to do in the book, or if it's just a cameo. But just knowing that he's the Warleader of the White Face Barghast! How freakin' cool is that?!?!?!?!!!

Kilava there with him. Yeah, that's all well and good. But then she goes to save her and Onrack's( 8O ) son! Nice threat she gives Silchas. I'd say he's lucky he didn't have to fight her. Heh.

Hetan seems like a pretty cool wife. :D Good for Tool!!! And they have a son! :D

And Silchas starts a new Azath! I didn't see that coming!!!

And Trull fighting Silchas! First Icarium, now him. Damn, Trull's da bomb!!

But who's the biggest bomb? Quick Ben!!! Holy crap, did he beat the crap out of the three sisters!!!!! Damn that was awesome!!!!!!

Beak was pretty cool, too. Damned powerful guy. And nice to see him go happily through Hood's gate.

Sad about Toc. I gotta assume there's more coming from Tool, since there wouldn't be much point in Toc's death, or his being in the book at all, if something doesn't come from it. But now we know his father's alive. As suspected, but nice to hear it for sure. And Toc giving Hood some attitude was great!

And what about Starvald Demelain! Wow, that place is sure torn up! Eleint graveyard. I'm surprised Shadowthrone and Cotillion don't already have access to this warren. Why wouldn't they? Can't you get to any of the warrens from an Azath? The others seemed to be able to go anywhere they chose in DG, and Paran finds any tile he needs when he's in an Azath. (Although, of course, he could be a special case.)
Damn!!! Just... Damn!!!
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Good lord...
Spoiler
Yep, Karsa wins. I wondered why nobody else ever cut his sword arm off. Maybe nobody knew that's why he kept coming back?

Like Fiddler wondered, how the hell did Quick get so powerful! Holy crap!!! His new title should be Soletaken-Dragon Fighter.

Trull... Damn. Damn. Damn. First Toc, not Trull... Damn. Not a Sengar left alive? Sheesh!

And now, I suppose, Trull's children, one by Seren and one by Eres, will become bitter enemies.

Thank God Tehol and Janal survived!! I wouldn't expect Janal's mind to have much survived the second imprisonment, though. She's doing much better than I think a woman would be. Only three weeks later? Married and happily bantering? Anyway, glad they're alive.

Brys, too. Of course, he had to come back. No point in giving him all the names of all gods, then never see him again.

And I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens with Tool. :D I'd change my name and avatar, but that would be a spoiler. :lol: Ah well, he was undead when he became one of my favorite characters of all anyway, so may as well stay this way.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Oh!! And how cool was the Drum?!?!!! And the flashback that showed Whiskeyjack first bringing Moranth munitions, and putting Fiddler and Hedge in charge of them?!! Great scene!!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yup, all very cool stuff. :)

I suspect Bugg took care of Janal's memories the same way he did the first time -- which would explain why she's not a whimpering mess right now.

I started to puddle up when Fid was setting up the Drum. The last great Malazan sapper, indeed. (Altho...perhaps *not* the last, after all... ;) )
Spoiler
Could you imagine Tehol going up against Laseen? Oh boy oh boy oh boy...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

aliantha wrote:I suspect Bugg took care of Janal's memories the same way he did the first time -- which would explain why she's not a whimpering mess right now.
I'm not gonna try to find the quote just this second, but my memory of the first time was something along the lines of her having repressed her memories, so she could heal gradually. Maybe she's doing the same this time?
aliantha wrote:I started to puddle up when Fid was setting up the Drum. The last great Malazan sapper, indeed. (Altho...perhaps *not* the last, after all... ;) )
Heh. Yeah, I guess not any longer. And here's those puddle-worthy lines...
Cuttle was as close to pissing himself as he had ever been. Not at the prospect of dying - he was fine enough with that and had been ever since finding himself in the Fourteenth - but at what he was witnessing here.

The last great Malazan sapper. No-one else came close. Imagine, shaving cusser shells. With a knife. Eggshell thin.
aliantha wrote:
Spoiler
Could you imagine Tehol going up against Laseen? Oh boy oh boy oh boy...
Wow! What a thought! Still, my guess is that Shadowthrone is going to win the whole game. Beat the Crippled God when his brilliance is revealed at the last moment; gain tons and tons of power; become the god that all the other gods bow down to. Heh.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Onos T'oolan wrote:
aliantha wrote:I started to puddle up when Fid was setting up the Drum. The last great Malazan sapper, indeed. (Altho...perhaps *not* the last, after all... ;) )
Heh. Yeah, I guess not any longer. And here's those puddle-worthy lines...
Cuttle was as close to pissing himself as he had ever been. Not at the prospect of dying - he was fine enough with that and had been ever since finding himself in the Fourteenth - but at what he was witnessing here.

The last great Malazan sapper. No-one else came close. Imagine, shaving cusser shells. With a knife. Eggshell thin.
Yup, that's it. And if you've still got the book handy (alas, my copy is at home), feel free to post the part where Hedge and Quick Ben show up in Letheras. Speaking of funny scenes... :biggrin:
Onos T'oolan wrote:Still, my guess is that Shadowthrone is going to win the whole game. Beat the Crippled God when his brilliance is revealed at the last moment; gain tons and tons of power; become the god that all the other gods bow down to. Heh.
Aieee, but Shadowthrone's a nutjob! I sure don't want to see the Crippled God win, but...Shadowthrone?

Nah. My money's on Tehol. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

aliantha wrote:And if you've still got the book handy (alas, my copy is at home), feel free to post the part where Hedge and Quick Ben show up in Letheras. Speaking of funny scenes... :biggrin:
Do you mean Fiddler's line to a certain Soletaken? I swear, if I could get away with it, that would be the sig of one of my Watch personalities.
aliantha wrote:Aieee, but Shadowthrone's a nutjob! I sure don't want to see the Crippled God win, but...Shadowthrone?
That's what will make it so cool! :lol: Everybody thinks he's a nut job. It'll turn out he's even more brilliant than we already know he must be in order to have done all he's already done.
aliantha wrote:Nah. My money's on Tehol. ;)
Could be, as far as Laseen goes. That would be cool. Of course, we'll need a good reason to set him against her, eh? It would be fun to see what SE could come up with in such a scenario. :D
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Oh come one, he's Dal Honese. Nutjob. :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Exactly! :lol:

No, what I mean about Tehol is that I'm starting to think he (and Bugg) will manage to win the whole Gods' War. Look at all they've accomplished so far! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah. It was great seeing his plan coming together in this book, four years after he set things going.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Tehol's surely one of the greatest geniuses, and he's teamed with an Elder god.

Kellenved was one of the greatest geniuses, he became a new god, and he's teamed with another new god.

Pretty interesting. :D Even if Tehol is better with economics, I'd say Shadowthrone has the edge in planning the takeover of a world. But Mael is surely more experienced, and probably more powerful than the Shadowthrone/Rope combo, if it comes right down to it.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Honestly, I think Tehol could infuriate Iskaral Pust without even trying, so I don't think Shadowthrone would be much of a problem for him.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That's hardly an accomplishment -- *I* could infuriate Iskaral Pust without even trying. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I'm about 100 pages in, and this book is bitchin'.

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Bugg wasting the two secret police guys nearly killed me this morning. This book's really good.
Onos T'oolan wrote:Well, as usual, the Prologue is awesome!!! :D :D :D Kilmandaros and Rake! Gothos making the Finnest! Such power in so few pages! Erikson's amazing!

(I know. I gotta get over my fear of using exclamation points...)
Jeez, I better re-read that part; I don't remember Gothos making the finnest at all.

Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I hope you did reread that part. It's kinda important. :lol:

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”