Reaper's Gale [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

So, did Esslemont come up with D'rek, the Worm of Autumn? Please tell me he did. I can't read that without laughing; what a horrible name. Is there also a S'chlep, the Wenus of Winter?

I've just got to think that Vanilla I.C.E. came up with it. This is why you don't let your drinking buddy write books for you when you're an elite author.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Oh, man, I really, really hope that Janath has a child of the dead seed, a little Anaster Pt. Deux. Please let it happen!

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

So, what the heck did happen with Icarium at the end? He basically activated his machine and destroyed a lot of the city and killed off a lot of characters, then disappeared. The machine gave him back all of his memories, I assume. And now, is he just Fener, hanging out being the big god of Pigs?

And where was Mappo in this book? I thought he was on one of the boats headed towards Lether. Is his story done?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

No sign what happened to Icarium. "The machine was, indeed, broken", and he seemed to vanish just like everything else the beams touched.
Mappo was on Spite's boat with Cutter and co, and they weren't heading for Letheras just yet...
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Hurrah! I'm rereading Memories of Ice and I've just read a passage which may foreshadow the return of Toc! Poor guy died in Reaper's Gale, but in MoI when Toc meets Kilava (sister of Tool, a bonecaster who didn't join in the Ritual and is flesh and blood), an Elder God speaks in Toc's mind:

"You shall cross paths again. It is, however, of little consequence. It is the final meeting that concerns me, and that will be years away in all likelihood. Ah, but I reveal unworthy impatience."

I can't stand some of the senselessness of several deaths in RG, so I'm hoping Erikson will redeem those poor characters :(
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I agree with what you have to say about senselessness Spiral Jacobs - I felt that some characters died that didn't have to, or didn't get a better death (for want of a better phrase).
Spoiler
I don't see why Trull had to die (though I trust Erikson to convince me it was necessary, and I think he did Tomad and Uruth and disservice when it came to how they died.
The problem is, how do you give every character that deserves one a dramatic, emotional death scene when so many have to die?

I think that Chapter Twenty Two - Beak's defence of the Malazan Marines, the final battle of the Letherii and the Awl, and the arival of the White-Faced Barghast, was some of Erikson's best writing in the entire series.
Spoiler
I even cried for Beak, and I don't cry often.
It was so good that Captain Faradan Sort's words have joined Tolkien's in my signature.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah, poor Beak. :( Bless his heart.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

variol son wrote: The problem is, how do you give every character that deserves one a dramatic, emotional death scene when so many have to die?
Of course. Not everyone can go out in a blaze of glory. And a 'senseless' death can have it's own place and function in a good story. I just liked Tull, that's all, and I guess I expected him to play an important role in the last books. Then to go out like that was just...frustrating. And if Erikson intended it that way - well played, I say.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Just finished "Reaper's Gale" last night.
Spoiler
NOOOOOO! I was so pissed off that Trull survived everything he did only to be stabbed in the back by a money and power grubbing scumbag Letheri. It sucked. I expected Fear to die. We also have the fact that Seren Pedac is preggers. I'm curious as to what role Udinaas and Rud Elalle will have. I'm actually quite glad that the Errant drowned Featherwitch. and damn.... Emperor Tehol. Things I wanna know.... how is Karsa gonna get back to Samar Dev? They need to have babies. :P
Variol Son:
Spoiler
I cried like a baby over Beak. I'm weepy now just thinking about it. Hood meeting him at the gate and sending him to his brother. Gah. Beautiful. I do wonder though how his purification of the Bonehunters and the Tiste Edur battallion is going to effect the story.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Especially Fiddler!!! Man, I'm telling you, he's gonna be Emperor at the end of book 10!!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Damn yer eyes, now you've given away the whole ending! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

yeah i'm just at uruth and tomad getting put in the pokey on my re-read.

so jenn...you want Return of the Crimson Guard now? or you gonna read Toll the Hounds first?

ps. ALI!! would you PLEASE get RotCG and read it NOW PLEASE! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lucimay wrote:yeah i'm just at uruth and tomad getting put in the pokey on my re-read.

so jenn...you want Return of the Crimson Guard now? or you gonna read Toll the Hounds first?

ps. ALI!! would you PLEASE get RotCG and read it NOW PLEASE! :biggrin:
Ack, thanks for the reminder! I need to put it on my Yule list! (Unless you want to lend me a copy.... ;) )

EZ Board Survivor

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'd happily lend it to you but jenn and sorus are in line ahead of you! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I was gonna just buy one but they are hard to come by on my usual sites. They have a UK version at Powells but it's 31 bucks before shipping. I also restarted Toll the Hounds.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lucimay wrote:i'd happily lend it to you but jenn and sorus are in line ahead of you! :D
See? Jenn's reading TtH! I'll have it done way before she's ready to start it! :lol:

My attorneys gave me a Barnes & Noble gift card for my birthday. I'll have to see if I can use it to pick up a copy from one of their "authorized resellers"....

EZ Board Survivor

Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

*whistles innocently*
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wait a minnit -- hey Onos, you got a copy you can lend me?

Just so Luci will leave me alone....

EZ Board Survivor

Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

No, I just meant I now have a copy. Just arrived yesterday. A gift from a supreme being. :D
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Bah! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”