Yes

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I do like Phish. Not so much the Dead. Usivious, are you sure you don't mean "prog" when you say "jam band?" Yes isn't a jam band, IMO. Phish and the Dead certainly are. Rush, again, is not--they can't improve to save their life. Crimson can certainly improve, but I don't think of them as a jam band. But then, I've never actually been to one of their concerts, so I could be wrong. That's usually something that happens live.

I do like the solo to "Turn Up the Radio," it's catchy and emotional. I'll also have to agree with Cail about the Summer Nights solo--but that's about the only EVH solo I'd complain about. I think EVH writes amazing solos. They are more than just "a bunch of fast notes." They are each unique certainly inventive.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

yah, I have a tendancy to ramble in my posts.
No, you are right, Yes, is not a jam band. However Crimson is ... any band that can put out numerous CDs of 'jams' or improvises is a jam band to me.

OK, back to Yes....
:lol:
Was listening to a loal 'classic rock' radio station last night with my daughter, and Starship Trooper comes on. Now she has stated that she doesn't like Yes or Crimso... I'll give her the latter, as it is 'too much' for her. But I think she would like Yes given the chance.
So, Starship Trooper comes on and she starts swaying to it. She asks who it is (as I am supposedly classic-rock-guru-guy) and I tell her quietly. She nods and I have planted the seed... hehehe .. however I know she will only like certain Yes songs like Yours is No Disgrace, and such ... not Gates Of Delerium or Close to the Egde type stuff...

Was listening to "The Ladder" over the weekend. Not bad. I think I like the keyboards the most. That Igor Khoroshev guy (whoever he is) did a great job. Had a classic feel to it but created some great 'lyrics'. But overall the album is lacking. I like the first song a lot.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Malik23 wrote:YYZ isn't very long (3 min?)....
It's 4:26, but it seems like only 3 minutes, because it's so freaking awesome. Cail, if you dislike that, then I suggest you steer clear of Spock's Beard and the Flower Kings.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

YYZ on some of the live recordings can be verrrry long as there is a prolonged drum solo that gets added to every so often,,,,

I think it has topped out at 8:30 one time...

:lol:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's what I'm talking about. The album version's just fine, but the live version gets tiring.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Usivius wrote:yah, I have a tendancy to ramble in my posts.
No, you are right, Yes, is not a jam band. However Crimson is ... any band that can put out numerous CDs of 'jams' or improvises is a jam band to me.

Interesting viewpoint. They did play some shows w/ String Cheese Incident a couple years ago...
Usivius wrote:Was listening to "The Ladder" over the weekend. Not bad. I think I like the keyboards the most. That Igor Khoroshev guy (whoever he is) did a great job. Had a classic feel to it but created some great 'lyrics'. But overall the album is lacking. I like the first song a lot.
Igor definitely had the chops for the old songs. He played with them for 4 years and they pretty much played all the major keyboard classics over that time (check out the House of Blues DVD, which has Awaken, though I wish they'd also included Close to the Edge) and I like what he added to the Ladder. But yea, I only like a few of the songs too. Homeworld, New Languages, and The Messenger.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Give me Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow, and side two of Going for the One (Wondrous Stories/Awaken, which for me have to be played back to back, and I'm a happy camper.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I've never had a Jon Anderson solo cd.....
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dANdeLION wrote:I've never had a Jon Anderson solo cd.....
It would take frigging forever on my dial-up, but I have an mp3 of the entire album of Olias if you're interested...?

It's not the best recording, as it is obviously from an LP rather than a CD, with the inherant clicks and pops. But, it still does for me what I need it to do. Just ask danlo. ;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh yes I was subjected to alot of Anderson and Yes this weekend. Especially enjoyed Gates of Delirium, part 1. 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Menolly wrote:
It would take frigging forever on my dial-up, but I have an mp3 of the entire album of Olias if you're interested...?

It's not the best recording, as it is obviously from an LP rather than a CD, with the inherant clicks and pops. But, it still does for me what I need it to do. Just ask danlo. ;)
Did you mp3 the entire LP as a single track, or one track for each song?
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I love Gates of Delirium. Relayer is their best post-Bruford album to date in my humble and aged opinion.

I love the whole darn thing.
Good call.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Heh, I just read an ad in Craigslist for a Yes tribute band that wants to play stuff off every album from 'the Yes Album' to 'Drama', with the exception of 'Tormato'. I wonder if I can pull off that gig.....
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dANdeLION wrote:
Menolly wrote:

Did you mp3 the entire LP as a single track, or one track for each song?
:::hanging head:::

Single track for the entire album. I can't just listen to one track off of that. The entire album is my meditative experience...
dANdeLION wrote:Heh, I just read an ad in Craigslist for a Yes tribute band that wants to play stuff off every album from 'the Yes Album' to 'Drama', with the exception of 'Tormato'. I wonder if I can pull off that gig.....
Tormato was the first Yes tour I ever saw of the five shows I've been to so far. It holds a special place in my heart because of that, even if it was in the old Hollywood Sportatorium...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Menolly wrote:
dANdeLION wrote:Did you mp3 the entire LP as a single track, or one track for each song?
:::hanging head:::

Single track for the entire album. I can't just listen to one track off of that. The entire album is my meditative experience...
I'm not criticizing, just wondering why it would take forever to upload it to me. Now I know.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I could always bring the laptop to the library and use their high speed connection to send it...
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Usivius wrote:I love Gates of Delirium. Relayer is their best post-Bruford album to date in my humble and aged opinion.

I love the whole darn thing.
Good call.
An opinion which you all might have noticed I share :-)

Dandelion, what do you play? I say go for it!!

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'm a bass player, though aTOMiC keeps trying to make a guitarist out of me.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

aTOMiC, desist! If he's good enough to play classic Yes, he must be allowed to do so. It is his birthright ;-)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Relayer wrote:aTOMiC, desist! If he's good enough to play classic Yes, he must be allowed to do so. It is his birthright ;-)
Hear, Hear!!

Return to “Vespers”