Yes

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Oh, THAT Waddley!

Yeah, I've seen the tattoo. Awesome!

-----

I saw Genesis on their Supper's Ready tour. One of my first concerts, and among the best.

Saw Gentle Giant as the opening act for Leon Russell, of all people. Russel's fans didn't know what to make of GG, and it only got worse when they played Knots. Three different band members covered the bass duties at various times.

Never saw Crimson, even though I had the opportunity and turned it down - twice. That was around the time of Starless and Bible Black. I Blew It!

Didn't see YES until the the very late seventies, around the time of Tormato, which is a vastly underrated album IMO, and really the last YES album I've thoroughly enjoyed in that Front to Back Top to Bottom kinda way.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'm a bit younger; I'm the only person my age that seemed to like Yes in the 70's. Of course, when 90125 came out, everybody my age was listening to them. Funny thing is when I play the 9012Live dvd for my kids, my middle boy Stephen watches the whole thing intently, because his favorite musician is Tony Kaye. The boy's a prodigy; can't wait to see what amazing things he ends up doing.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Demondim-spawn wrote:Didn't see YES until the the very late seventies, around the time of Tormato, which is a vastly underrated album IMO, and really the last YES album I've thoroughly enjoyed in that Front to Back Top to Bottom kinda way.
The Tormato in the round tour was my first YES as well. Saw that tour, as well as the Big Generator tour in the old Sportatorium in Hollywood, Florida (where I grew up). I've seen them at least three additional times {90125 (Jacksonville, Florida), Union (a great tour, with all those band members! in Miami, Florida) and Open Your Eyes (West Palm Beach, Florida}.

Man, it's been over a decade since I've seen them, I guess.
I need a real Yes tour (meaning one with Anderson, Squire, Howe, and White. I'll settle for Oliver Wakeman instead of Rick if I must. But, no to Benoit David as vocalist) fix.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You haven't been to the Prog thread I take it? Pity, I'm the #1 Gentle Giant proponent there many of us love Gabriel Genesis and are crazy about KC.
fall far and well Pilots!
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Menolly wrote:The Tormato in the round tour was my first YES as well.
In the old St. Paul Civic Center for me. Since torn down. (The Civic Center, not me.)

I was going to mention the revolving stage. I didn't know that was a global feature of that tour.
dAN wrote:Funny thing is when I play the 9012Live dvd for my kids, my middle boy Stephen watches the whole thing intently, because his favorite musician is Tony Kaye. The boy's a prodigy; can't wait to see what amazing things he ends up doing.
My kid (who is pushing 20) was eager to learn guitar when he was 12 or so, so I bought him one. As soon as he discovered that he couldn't just pick it up and be B.B. King right off the bat, he lost interest. :(

I went over to your website and checked out your new and old gear. Own a few basses do you? I've never seen so many lefty basses in one place!

Is there a "gear" thread in this forum? I think I have a pic or two my modest collection lying around somewhere.
danlo wrote:You haven't been to the Prog thread I take it? Pity, I'm the #1 Gentle Giant proponent there many of us love Gabriel Genesis and are crazy about KC.
I will have to get over there then.

About non-Gabriel Genesis: After Peter left the band, I still liked Genesis for their next three albums, but after that I just couldn't listen anymore. Phil is a GREAT percussionist (and back-up singer), but the direction they went in wasn't for me.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Yes magic!

Post by Krazy Kat »

I've only ever seen Steve Howe. He played a show in a small night club in Cambridge. A few years ago now. It was really awesome to see a guitar hero so close up. I know this sounds silly, but he was like a Forestal!
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I know this sounds silly, but he was like a Forestal!
No it doesn't sound silly ... it's hilarious, but true! .... :lol:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Been listening to The Yes Album a lot recently. My younger brother once gave me this album wrapped up as a Christmas present, many moons ago.

I'm still amazed...no, mind-blown at how well the music is produced. The whole album has a complete 180 degree stereo stage. Eddie Offord is A GENIUS!!!!

And while I'm on my high horse...what gives with Patrick Moraz on the Gates of Delerium, anyway????
@14:00
Steve Howe has to tell him to chill out, with a... *now.now.now.now.nowowowowow*
you know what I mean!
But what a finish, even after all these years.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm a major early King Crimson, Peter Gabriel era Genesis, Gentle Giant freak.
fall far and well Pilots!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wow...just wow.
Oliver Wakeman Band wrote:AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM OLIVER WAKEMAN CONCERNING THE YES SITUATION

Oliver would firstly like to thank all the people who have taken the trouble to write to him with their concerns over the current YES rumours and press releases that have been circulating around the web.

An official statement will be forthcoming but we would like to at least put some facts forward.

Oliver is not voluntarily leaving YES and, as of this moment in time, we do not know which of Oliver's many contributions to the recording will exist on the new YES record.

Oliver wanted to stay focused on the music for the 'Rite of Spring' tour and felt his primary role was to put on the best possible show for the fans who have paid to see the band.

As soon as the position becomes clear we will be posting more information on the new Facebook page and the official website.

Thanks again for all the support that has been made for Oliver either through direct emails to the website, via Facebook and MySpace, forums or the web in general. Oliver has been very touched by the support shown for him through this unsettling period.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

That's not that big a deal to me. I mean, he's the son of their second keyboardist, and up till now, he wasn't anything more than a hired hand. I think replacing Jon Anderson was a much bigger deal.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

dANdeLION wrote:That's not that big a deal to me. I mean, he's the son of their second keyboardist, and up till now, he wasn't anything more than a hired hand. I think replacing Jon Anderson was a much bigger deal.
As far as the music goes, I agree totally that replacing Anderson is a bigger deal. I'm more surprised that Squire, et. al., would announce Downes being on the new album when it appears Wakeman already recorded parts for it and seems to have had no idea this was coming, while still touring with the band.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Menolly wrote:I'm more surprised that Squire, et. al., would announce Downes being on the new album.
Wait a minute. Geoff Downes is returning to Yes? And Trevor Horn is producing the new album, and they're finally recording “Fly From Here”? And all you can talk about is Oliver Wakeman's departure? :screwy:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

perpetualchange
Woodhelvennin
Location: Close enough to friggin' drive to Elohimfest woo-hoo!

Post by perpetualchange »

Fly From Here is a pretty good song I must say, I am a bit dissapointed on one hand to see Oliver go.....was hoping he would be something of a yes-man for life (yeah I know dreaming waaaaaay too hard on that one)

Then again maybe Trevor and Geoff can put some life into the band, Drama is not altogether a bad album, it just seems not very yes-ish without Jon's voice, but Trevor is well-known as an ace producer so lets see if hes got some magic left in those glittery oversized glasses of his :P
"Speak to me of summer,
long winters longer
than time can remember"

"I still remember the talks by the water
the proud sons and daughters
that knew the knowledge of the land
spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways"
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Always felt Tony Kaye was unappreciated and the Yes Album is one of the best albums out there with (IMO), only Close to the Edge really to rival it for the best of Yes' work.

As for the band, I can take some changes but Yes without Howe,Anderson or Squire isn't really Yes, anymore than Wings is the Beatles. If Wings do a few Beatles songs they are "covers" of Beatles songs and Yes without the key artists are a Yes tribute band, not Yes.

I really think our indulgence of the band members has to stop somewhere!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I saw Yes in 1984 with Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, and Alan White. They had a couple of Bugs Bunny cartoons opening for them, then put on a great, tight show.

Saw them again in 2004, with Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe instead of Kaye and Rabin. More improvisational stuff going on than at the 1984 show (especially during "Starship Trooper" and their reworking of "Roundabout"), but still terrific to see!
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Saw them in Sydney before Christmas without RW or JA. they played Fragile and Close to the Edge: full album versions and were pretty close. The keyboards were manned by the guy from the Buggles who did a half decent job and the singer was a guy from a Yes tribute band who was actually more like Jon Anderson than Jon Anderson is these days! He was actually a joy top watch, had the voice (albeit not really his own), but had the joy of being a guy in a tribute band actually playing with his heroes; you could see that he was totally ecstatic with the experience. The audience warmed to his genuine emotion to being there and he got a great ovation.... fair brought a tear to the eye it did!

Only bummer, they played Owner of a Lonely Heart as the Sydney encore, whereas Melbourne got Starship Trooper, which I'd have much preferred.

As an aside a mate of mine is pally with Rick Wakeman and he came out with a classic about Jon Anderson saying ".... he's the only man I know who's trying to save the planet whilst living on another one".
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I saw the most recent tour where they did Close to the Edge and Fragile. Davidson is decent enough; but even with the other members, who were all members of a line up of Yes at one point or another [Geoff Downes, "the guy from the Buggles" (and Asia, btw) was the Yes keyboardist along with the Buggles vocalist, Trevor Horn, on Drama], the show still felt more like a Yes tribute band to me than Yes itself.

But, I've been fortunate to see the Tormato in the round tour (my first Yes), the 90125 tour, the Big Generator tour, and the Union tour. Now, those were Yes shows!
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I loved their first half dozen albums then thought they really lost their way. I think an album or two after Wakeman left in the 70s was when I lost interest. I really do like those first two pre-Howe albums that often get overlooked.

Return to “Vespers”