30%
Not now
5%
No
No votes

Total votes: 20

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:Yes, I'm saying being a non-traveling race would put you at a disadvantage. And for every disadvantage that you have, you're entitled to an advantage (skill), so long as it's not more than two advantages and two disadvantages. In your case, that would be a big enough disadvantage that you could claim two advantages with just that. You don't have to, but I would.
OK. So I would need a list of choices, or do I just declare what I want them to be?
Syl wrote:As for the second part, I'm basically just asking for a reason for you to be involved in the game, something that makes you involved in the galaxy (otherwise, it's hard to say you have any 'Galatic Influence'...
Oh, you mean a reason other than me, as a player, wanting to be involved and gaining a little more experience with RPGs? Bummer...
Syl wrote:it'd be like starting out in the Pantheon as a mortal or with 0 DRP).

:::small grin:::

Funny you should say that. That's how I offered to join Pantheon 1.0, as a mortal follower of a certain deity. I was told no way, so I continued to lurk until a bunch of deities teamed up to convince me to join in as a g-ddess...
Syl wrote:You can choose to be peaceful (whether other players or events will accommodate that is a different question) and predominately concerned with domestic affairs.

Now, the spice thing could be your ticket. You could choose to set your race up as galactic traders, your planet as a central trading hub. Think DS9 or even Tattooine. If that was the case, I'd definitely choose some advantages that would support that. Like increased planetary defense and an effective justice system. *shrug*
OK. I don't know if I want it to be spice, per se. But, if anyone is willing to help me put this together (as I said, if there is something similar to vassaship in this game, I think I would really benefit from the guidance of it), I am all ears.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Sorry guys, most of my stuff will be similar to earth and humans because I have a hard time visualizing aliens and alien worlds.

Home planet: Orion (what else? :lol: )
- A planet rich in natural resources that have been cultivated over the centuries by the Orions.
- Farming has been developed almost to perfection. Specialize in plants rich in healing properties. Food stuffs from all over the universe have been grown here successfully and can be traded.

Mining - Dilitium crystals - not abundant but available (is my Star Trek showing?)

A force field emanating from the central city of Orion, Theorum, protects the planet so there is no unlawful entry onto the planet.

Also, they are peaceful but will not roll over and be subservient nor be made into slaves. They are not opposed to using force if necessary because they understand the universe they live in. They would just be cold and calculating in their moves.

Rather, they would make excellent emmissaries and mediators.

Funny, I keep on thinking of that movie Galaxy Quest because that is about the extent of my sci-fi experience. :lol:

Lore, can you make a blue and green planet for me?

Edited
Last edited by caamora on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

caamora wrote:- A planet rich in natural resources..
Oh really. Rich in them, you say? :twisted:
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Oh really. Rich in them, you say?
:lol: :lol:

I'm not finished yet. :wink: I'm just trying to get out ideas before I lose another one. heh.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I've been having some ideas about mine, want to see if they're suitable.
First of all, my race's homeworld has low levels of remaining natural resources, due to extensive mining and such by the Delucrii. Projects within their own system being deemed too high-risk to be profitable, they have elected to attempt the full-scale colonisation of another world from which resource gathering can begin afresh and the homeworld can be supplied; they will begin the game with their first interplanetary vessel, the colonisation ark, having just reached completion, having been built at great cost to the Delucrian economy. The vessel would be slow and only usable once, but would enable colonisation of the new world to proceed rapidly.
I'd be looking at the ability to colonise another world quickly, and industrial efficiency as advantages; the disadvantage is that the tightly controlled homeworld economy will quickly become dependant on the colonies--making the Delucrii vulnerable to any break in communications--and that the establishment of new colonies is dependant on the construction of more arks, the manufacture of which is a large drain on their economy in its current state.
How does that sound?
That is actually a really good idea, Murrin. But, sorry you can't have mine. :wink:

But, perhaps, my Orions can help you find a suitable planet to colonize. We could supply you with provisions and act as emmissaries to your venture.
Pando
Servant of the Land

Post by Pando »

My apologies, but we are not yet convinced that intelligent life exists outside of Delucri. Perhaps we will 'discover' you sometime in the near future, and you could offer your aid then.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

My apologies, but we are not yet convinced that intelligent life exists outside of Delucri. Perhaps we will 'discover' you sometime in the near future, and you could offer your aid then.

Our aid will not be offered again.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

uh...folks...the dang game hasn't even STARTED yet....yeesh. :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ouch.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. She has a point. It's ok to sound your ideas off me (and stake your claims, though there are no recognized trademarks or patents here) and the other players, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. And remember, you might not want to let everyone know what your advantages and disadvantages are.

When registration starts, it will be your planet and people's initial entry into the Compendium Galactica (in no way affiliated with The Encyclopedia of Galactica ;)). The public part will be what you want people to know... or think ;), as accuracy isn't the Compendium's main selling point. But you must also send to me via PM what information you will need me to know, to include advantages and disadvantages. I'll return the PM as confirmation along with any needed corrections or clarifications (I promise I'll do my best to be fair).

Of course, I'm still waiting for the go-ahead from Xar.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orion
Servant of the Land

Post by Orion »

:wink: :lol:

I think we are just polishing up our character. heh.
And remember, you might not want to let everyone know what your advantages and disadvantages are.
Ok, then. You have the bare bones of my race.

This is going to be fun....
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

I'm in. Hey all :)

I think that my planet will be a living entity in itself, and it will be populated by extensions of that entity. Maybe something fungal.

Also, if someone could pm me the basics for how the games work on here...?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
The Children
Servant of the Land

Post by The Children »

The Divine Children of the Blessed and Peaceful Everburning Sun have submitted basic ideas to Syl of our existence.

We are excited to share with the Universe the purity of the Light.
Signed in the Lightbringer's name,
The Divine Children of the Blessed and Peaceful Everburning Sun
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

JemCheeta wrote:I'm in. Hey all :)

I think that my planet will be a living entity in itself, and it will be populated by extensions of that entity. Maybe something fungal.

Also, if someone could pm me the basics for how the games work on here...?
Great idea.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

caamora wrote:Lore, can you make a blue and green planet for me?
Here it is:

Orion
Servant of the Land

Post by Orion »

Oh, its lovely!!

Thank you very much.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Orion wrote:Oh, its lovely!!

Thank you very much.
Happy to help.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

:EDIT to remove the King:

"Chairman Rastus convenes this, the 54th Council of Magistrates, the first Council after the atrocious attack, by launched asteroid, on Ross 154.

Magistrate Periclese presiding.

To the rest of the galaxy,

The Council of Magistrates and is reformed. We do not know which of you unleashed the Woe from the Skies, and it may be that you are not present or even now existant, but should you still exist, we will find out and in time, we will have our revenge.

The Ross 154 Alliance is now installed in the Obelix Asteroid field surrounding our once beautiful planet, and ready to resume research. Our findings will be made available to the rest of the galaxy, at a cost. Of course.

The Council wishes nothing more than peace with our brethren, wherever they may be found. Our ports are open ground to any who wish to come and deal business.

Council adjurned."
Last edited by Atrus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

My race is all worked out and sent in now; I changed the advantages and disadvantages a little so they fit together well. At the least, it seems somewhat realistic for the race I've created. Now I just need to think a little on how I'll present them in the main thread.
Here's looking forward to the game.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Uh, am I the only person impatient to get going on this? :lol:
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Return to “Compendium Galactica”