30%
Not now
5%
No
No votes

Total votes: 20

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Balon wrote:Well, if you start staright out theres no need to learn how to play form someone who already knows. You'll be learning WITH us. As opposed to FROM us.
Yes but...

Y'all will still have a much better idea of what y'all are doing!!
And lurking for a while and joining late will be an advantage because...
Ayiii!!!

You didn't get on me about my self deprecating habits all weekend. You left that up to danlo. So, you choose here to start up again??

Thanks a lot!!! ;)

But, I will at least have an idea of how the Game works if I do join late, before I make a fool of myself again...
Fist and Faith wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun, good luck, and NO TALKING ABOUT IT AT THE NEXT ELOHIMFEST!
Now's your chance to be one of the cool kids, dlb!!! Join at the beginning!! :D
Ooo...!

Good answer...

C'mon Don. If you join I'll...

..root you on from my lurker status... ;)
Damelon wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun, good luck, and NO TALKING ABOUT IT AT THE NEXT ELOHIMFEST!
I think I caught a virus this weekend. I'm thinking of joining Pantheon.
YES!! Alright!!!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Will we need to claim a sort of home-system? I was thinking of making my species center around a drawback; their home system was destroyed or made uninhabitable. So they're low in number but high in life span, or mabye advanced in biotechnologies, or forms of transportation.

Is something like that cool?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, something like that's completely fine. You can substitute planet for drifter colony, mining colony, nomadic tribe, whatever. It just has to be a planet-sized population or less.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I like the drifter colony idea. Like the Battlestar Galactica's ragtag fleet.

Instead of domains, what if there was a compiled list of drawbacks and bonuses? It could be rated by points, or all equal, then you pick an equal amount of drawbacks for bonuses?

Like my no home system, but advanced engines or some such.

What'd'ya think?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Ok, let me get this straight: do we have just one character or are we developing an entire race/world?

I'd better start brushing up on my Star Trek.

Damelon - you are going to LOVE Pantheon.
The King has one more move.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Not a bad idea. Though the list would just be suggestions. Everyone would still be welcome to choose their own.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Yeah, just like the domains. Should it be rated to points? Like wether a warring/factioned race is worth more than a species is young to the galaxy?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Technically, you would have an entire world and race (for the sake of simplicity, each player must choose a single race). But how you choose to present that is up to you. If it is just one leader or some kind of council that directs your population or something else entirely is your choice. You just have to have some way of getting your people to do what you, the player, want... or try to get them to do it, anyway.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Not quite sure what you mean. But if I have it right... nah, I think each pro and con should have a flat +1 or -1 value, though if the player wants they can focus on one and make it more extreme. One +2 for two -1s, or vice versa. Other combinations could be +2 and -2, +1 and -1, or just 0.
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

But no higher than 2.

That sounds reasonable.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

If the engine technology isn't going to be super extravagent, do you want to keep the game world centered around the Sol (Earth) system? Say, it expands to Bernard's star, Procyon, etc...
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

:::whispering:::

:::I'm already dazed and confused:::

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. :::sigh:::
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

My astronomical geography isn't so great. I was thinking of just making a kind of galactic map on an about 100x100 graph. Each point on the grid would correspond to a single system, some kind of singularity, etc. Players would be assigned to a randomly chosen coordinante, the rest of the galaxy would then be revealed by observation or discovery.
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Syl wrote:My astronomical geography isn't so great. I was thinking of just making a kind of galactic map on an about 100x100 graph. Each point on the grid would correspond to a single system, some kind of singularity, etc. Players would be assigned to a randomly chosen coordinante, the rest of the galaxy would then be revealed by observation or discovery.
I can help you with that; I have tonnes of resources that can accomplish a map, realistic or not.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Don't worry, Menolly. Everything you need to know will be carefully explained to all before the game starts (and my PM box is always open). And just like how you don't need to know molecular gastronomy to cook well, you won't need to know cosmology or advanced relativity to play this game. Like knowing some mythology going into Pantheon, it won't hurt, but... not strictly necessary.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Loremaster wrote:
Syl wrote:My astronomical geography isn't so great. I was thinking of just making a kind of galactic map on an about 100x100 graph. Each point on the grid would correspond to a single system, some kind of singularity, etc. Players would be assigned to a randomly chosen coordinante, the rest of the galaxy would then be revealed by observation or discovery.
I can help you with that; I have tonnes of resources that can accomplish a map, realistic or not.
If you could turn my graph with various symbols into a working map, Lore, that would be awesome. Or whatever you can throw at me would help immensely.
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Syl wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
If you could turn my graph with various symbols into a working map, Lore, that would be awesome. Or whatever you can throw at me would help immensely.
I'll be ready to assist you whenever you want. I've generated lots of maps of space, with grids or without.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:Don't worry, Menolly. Everything you need to know will be carefully explained to all before the game starts (and my PM box is always open). And just like how you don't need to know molecular gastronomy to cook well, you won't need to know cosmology or advanced relativity to play this game. Like knowing some mythology going into Pantheon, it won't hurt, but... not strictly necessary.
:::sigh:::

If you say so...

But I don't even understand the 1-2 point system you and Balon were discussing...

:::totally lost already:::
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

See the pm, Menolly. :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks Lore.

Return to “Compendium Galactica”