5%
No
No votes

Total votes: 20

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Compendium Galactica: Comments and General Banter

Post by [Syl] »

I've been considering the idea of starting another game, to be done between Pantheon turns. It would be basically like Pantheon but sci-fi. Players would create (or borrow ;)) a species of alien or human or whatever. Everyone would start with one planet and a civilization that just attained interplanetary travel. Instead of Divine Rank, it would be Galactic Influence. The race could be warlike or peaceful, the playstyle anywhere from Douglas Adams to Isaac Asimov, Red Dwarf to Battlestar Galactica.

Would you guys be interested? Thoughts (especially you, Xar)?
Last edited by [Syl] on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

I'd love to play.

Although I might get my drp's mixed up with my GI's. eheh
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Oh. My. God.

The sci-fi geek that I am has been crying out for this game.

YES!!!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

May I lurk, like I did for a version and a half of Pantheon?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

It'd be better to start off from the begining.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Loremaster wrote:Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Me too. :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Balon wrote:It'd be better to start off from the begining.
:::sigh:::

And so it begins again...
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Well, if you start staright out theres no need to learn how to play form someone who already knows. You'll be learning WITH us. As opposed to FROM us.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This post represents an expression of interest in the subject under discussion on the part of this post's author.

This post's author has no explanation for the syntax being used to convey said expression.

This post's author is just weird that way.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Balon wrote:Well, if you start staright out theres no need to learn how to play form someone who already knows. You'll be learning WITH us. As opposed to FROM us.
Yes but...

Y'all will still have a much better idea of what y'all are doing!!

:::and I haven't read any hard core SF in years. where would I pull ideas for characters and settings from?:::

Is grokking considered SF or Fantasy?

Or, calling upon my favorite stand alone novel, can my race be a post-apocalyptic band of monks in a monestary with a Jewish beatus?

I'm really better off just lurking...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You can either steal ideas from wherever (star wars, star trek, BSG, B5, Farscape, Stargate, whatever) or just pull them out of... wherever. ;) Just worry about the fiction. I'll make the science work (though I consider myself a nerd, I know there's some here that can go beyond me when it comes to hard science, so...).

If Heinlein said it, it's sci-fi. Heck, if Phillip K. Dick said it, it's sci-fi, and he had a stories about talking gumball machines and sentient shoes. :mrgreen:

And yes. Whatever strikes your fancy.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun, good luck, and NO TALKING ABOUT IT AT THE NEXT ELOHIMFEST!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Other than the 'interplanetary travel' bit, what kind of guidelines would there be for technological level when the game first starts? Would all the players have to stick within some kind of boundaries as far as that goes, so we start on the same footing?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:You can either steal ideas from wherever (star wars, star trek, BSG, B5, Farscape, Stargate, whatever) or just pull them out of... wherever. ;) Just worry about the fiction. I'll make the science work (though I consider myself a nerd, I know there's some here that can go beyond me when it comes to hard science, so...).

If Heinlein said it, it's sci-fi. Heck, if Phillip K. Dick said it, it's sci-fi, and he had a stories about talking gumball machines and sentient shoes. :mrgreen:

And yes. Whatever strikes your fancy.
Really? You guys are just too patient with me!

:::shaking head:::
dlbpharmd wrote:Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun, good luck, and NO TALKING ABOUT IT AT THE NEXT ELOHIMFEST!
:| :| :|

I told you to join in!

:::I really should post that PM you sent me this morning regarding Pantheon in the Comments thread:::
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

This is great. I can't wait.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I would love to play assuming someone will tell me how.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Murrin wrote:Other than the 'interplanetary travel' bit, what kind of guidelines would there be for technological level when the game first starts? Would all the players have to stick within some kind of boundaries as far as that goes, so we start on the same footing?
That's a good question, Murrin.

I think the technological level, other than interplanetary travel, will have to be just about our own. It doesn't have to be the same, but it can't be such that it would confer any immediate advantage. Just like there may be many kinds of 'interplanetary travel' but they all have to be fairly primitive. For instance, you can have warp, but you can't have, say, warp 7, to start.

Just like turn results will be, the more balanced and reasonable a 'character' is to start, the more it will be rewarded with a greater and more stable population. Doesn't mean you can't 'go for it' but it will come with drawbacks. In fact, for every flaw or drawback given to a 'character', there will also be a corresponding bonus (let's assume a limit of two). So if you decided your planet had two factions that were constantly at war with eachother, you could expect, say, to have an edge when it comes to weaponry or tactics.

SBG, all you gotta do is make an alien race and describe as much as their planet, culture, and history as you reasonably can. You can just watch what other people do first to get an idea. After that, just say what you (they) would do in response to events you receive.

I think events will occur every year, game time, and in between Pantheon turns real time.

I think we have enough players to at least go ahead with registration (after Pantheon deadline), assuming Xar ok's it. I'm pretty sure he will. In fact, I hope he plays (revenge is a dish best served cold ;)).

And I'm completely open to suggestions. I just thought of this this morning (don't remember why, even), so it's not like anything's concrete.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Menolly wrote:
Balon wrote:Well, if you start staright out theres no need to learn how to play form someone who already knows. You'll be learning WITH us. As opposed to FROM us.
Yes but...

Y'all will still have a much better idea of what y'all are doing!!
And lurking for a while and joining late will be an advantage because...
dlbpharmd wrote:Whatever y'all decide to do, have fun, good luck, and NO TALKING ABOUT IT AT THE NEXT ELOHIMFEST!
Now's your chance to be one of the cool kids, dlb!!! Join at the beginning!! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I think I caught a virus this weekend. I'm thinking of joining Pantheon.

Return to “Compendium Galactica”