Compendium Galactica

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Free Traders wrote:I got no problems with it. I'd like it to be a bit more involved and "free" than ZA though...more than just "move / search / ect. If it is, I'm definitely in.
You have my word it will be much more involved without being too complex.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Complex doesn't bother me, just want to be able to "go my own way" as it were. Anyway, awesome. Now I can start looking forward to this game all over again. C'mon people...let's get going. :D
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'd be happy to have you running things, Lore.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Okay, I have started formulating the rules. Expect an offical thread early next week. :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Patience is not my strong suit... :lol: OK, I can wait. :D
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

As you already know, Loremaster, I'm up for joining. But don't rush too fast - I still have to think of what I want to play... :?
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

OH!!!!!!

Lore, you are going to take over?? COOL!!!!!

I will pm you something.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Okay, I have started writing the rules (I am at work, by the way). And this is the concept:

The galaxy (or part of) is a clean slate. This is your galaxy, people. Your game - I want you all to forge it. That means no higher races, no ancient races, etc. Your races are the ones who will shape the universe. So if you want an alliance, it's up to you to create it and I will moderate it. If you want a trading network or universal stock exchange, make it! There are no limits other than your imaginations and resources (more on that later). However, you aren't gods - you're playing the leaders of the races (and thus, the race itself), so you have to work from there.

What about limits? Well, the system is based upon finance. To do x, y and z, you need money, and you get money from three things: population (through taxes), trade with other civilisations, and the powerful Galactic Column Bank (they fund civilisations through loans and investments and also have a powerful mercenary force they hire to collect their money or make sure their interests are maintained). You might be limited by money, but that money can do alot. You can build starbases, ships and fleets, fund wars, research, hire spies and terrorists, etc.

This is not Zombie Apocalypse where you can only do a few things in a limited map. This is all about playing your race and building your universe. I want everyone to tell their story and build a story together. And I want people to have fun.

The rules will up by sunday (and they wont be hard to understand).
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Post by Astavyastataa Kadna »

Will we have to get graph paper and plot the Galaxy? How "fast" will the game move? Would it take a YEAR in realtime to build a civilization capable of galactic exploration or do you see being able to cover such ground in the span of a few Turns.

I like Galactic stuff .. but was waaayyy intimidated by the amount of WORK it looked like it would take to play effectively!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Astavyastataa Kadna wrote:Will we have to get graph paper and plot the Galaxy? How "fast" will the game move? Would it take a YEAR in realtime to build a civilization capable of galactic exploration or do you see being able to cover such ground in the span of a few Turns.

I like Galactic stuff .. but was waaayyy intimidated by the amount of WORK it looked like it would take to play effectively!!
There will be a map everyone can see. I will maintain it.

Each turn covers six months.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Astavyastataa Kadna wrote:Will we have to get graph paper and plot the Galaxy? How "fast" will the game move? Would it take a YEAR in realtime to build a civilization capable of galactic exploration or do you see being able to cover such ground in the span of a few Turns.
The game will start with players having two options: exploration or planetary focus. That means, if you take the former you get low level FTL drives and can explore one hex per turn; if you take the latter, you don't get FTL but you get a large bonus to industry (more advanced planet). Space surrounding the star systems will be unknown (though you will know what stars are there).
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

Are you using the same rules Syl instituted for the creation of an alien race? ie, for every benefit, we have to take an equal detriment?

Also - what 'atmosphere' do we need to keep in mind for the creation of a race? I have an idea for an alien civilisation that is distinctly pulpy . . .
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Post by Astavyastataa Kadna »

Montressor wrote:Are you using the same rules Syl instituted for the creation of an alien race? ie, for every benefit, we have to take an equal detriment?

Also - what 'atmosphere' do we need to keep in mind for the creation of a race? I have an idea for an alien civilisation that is distinctly pulpy . . .
Pulpy ... hmmmm ... are they edible? :twisted:
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

Astavyastataa Kadna wrote:
Montressor wrote:Are you using the same rules Syl instituted for the creation of an alien race? ie, for every benefit, we have to take an equal detriment?

Pulpy ... hmmmm ... are they edible? :twisted:
:lol:

A delicacy on some planets, maybe :) But more likely to want to eat the inhabitants of said planets themselves, I think . . .
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Absolutely.
Montressor wrote:Also - what 'atmosphere' do we need to keep in mind for the creation of a race? I have an idea for an alien civilisation that is distinctly pulpy . . .
Go ahead.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

And by the way, Montressor, no Bungaboi men. :lol:
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

OK, this is sounding good. I'll take an exploration focus.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Loremaster wrote:What about limits? Well, the system is based upon finance. To do x, y and z, you need money, and you get money from three things: population (through taxes), trade with other civilisations, and the powerful Galactic Column Bank (they fund civilisations through loans and investments and also have a powerful mercenary force they hire to collect their money or make sure their interests are maintained). You might be limited by money, but that money can do alot. You can build starbases, ships and fleets, fund wars, research, hire spies and terrorists, etc.
Hmm. My idea for the race I wanted to play was based quite heavily on economy, with a lot of focus on natural resources and industry as the source of wealth; if there's a system with wealth based on populaton and external trade I'm not sure that my idea would work. I may have to redesign them again.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:Hmm. My idea for the race I wanted to play was based quite heavily on economy, with a lot of focus on natural resources and industry as the source of wealth; if there's a system with wealth based on populaton and external trade I'm not sure that my idea would work. I may have to redesign them again.
Now that you mention it, I might have to work that out. Let me get back to you on that.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Okay everyone. This is getting exciting. The rules will be finished by tomorrow afternoon, and I will make race creation official by sunday. I have some cool and exciting ideas lined up!

Return to “Compendium Galactica”