Kevin's Cookbook

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

caamora
The Purifier

Kevin's Cookbook

Post by caamora »

I have been reading through the posts and it doesn't seem like there is one place for recipies. I have seen some posted here and there but not in one place. Then again, I may be blind! :wink:

Anyway, how about starting a thread with just recipies?

I'll start.

Chicken Broccoli Bake

1 can Swanson's White Chicken
1 box frozen chopped broccoli
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup ( can substitute cream of broccoli or
cream of chicken)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine or butter substitue
Italian breadcrumbs (to taste)
cheese (to taste)

Mix chicken, broccoli, and soup in a casserole dish. Top with cheese. Melt butter and mix in enough breadcrumbs to soak up butter but leave breadcrumbs somewhat moist (not soaked). Layer over cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are brown.

This is a very quick and easy and healthy meal. Most of the ingredients can be low or non-fat.

Enjoy.

(btw, I will feel really stupid if a thread lilke this already exists! :oops: Knowing the fast company I'm in, it probably does! 8O )
The King has one more move.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Its a great idea Caamora!!!! And I wonder if there is any way for me to make it sticky even though you started the thread.....There are a few recipes lurking around the place but its a much better idea to put them all in one spot. :)
I'm just gonna go and find the ones I posted and stick them in here. :D

Yep, I got the sticky thing happening. Starting to get a handle on this being a mod thing. :roll:
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Homemade Chocolate and Cinnamon Ice-cream

500ml milk (2 cups)
3 cinnamon sticks halved
170 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
8 egg yolks
110 g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
300ml thickened cream

* Place milk, cinnamon and choclate is large heavy-based pan, stir over low hear till chocolate has melted. Remove from heat, stand 5 mins, strain into a jug and discard cinnamon sticks

* Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with electric beater until thick and creamy. Gradually add hot chocolate mixture to egg yolk mixture beating until just combined.

* Return mixture to same pan and stir over heat, without boiling, about 15 mins or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat, transfer to large bowl, cover surface to custard with plastic wrap and cool. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is cold.

* Sit in cream, then pour into lamingtom pan, cover and freeze until just set. Chop icecream roughly, beat in a large bowl with electric beaters or process until smooth. Pour into loaf pan, cover and freeze until firm.

Its a little fussy, but the end result is to die for
You can use the 8 egg whites to make a pavlova or meringues
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Orange and Poppy Seed Cake is really yummy and a specialty of mine.

1 1/2 cups (6oz) Self Raising Flour
1/3 cup (2oz) ground almonds
3 tabs poppy seeds
185 g (6oz) butter
2/3 cup (5 1/4 oz) castor sugar
1/4 cup (2 2/3 oz) orange or apricot jam
2-3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
1/3 cup (2 3/4 fl oz) orange juice
3 eggs

Icing

100 g (3 1/3oz) butter
100 g (3 1/3oz) cream cheese
1 cup (4oz) icing sugar, sifted
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F). Brush a deep 20 cm (8") round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and side of tim with baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add almonds and poppy seeds. Make a well in the centre.

2. Place butter, sugar, jam, rind, juice in a pot and stir over low heat till butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Gradually add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.

3. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 50-60 mins, test with a skewer to be sure. Set aside for approx 15 mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.

4. To Make Icing
Beat butter and cream cheese with electric beaters until smooth. Add icing sugar and juice or essence gradually and beat until thick or creamy. Spread icing over cooled cake and decorate with strips of orange rind if desired.

*NB I dont know what Icing Sugar is called in the US, but its the white powdery sweet stuff that you make icing from.....hence the name
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Spanokopita .. spinach cheese triangles .. or squares if you prefer ..

ingredients

fillo pastry
1 bunch spinach
2 onions
3-4 cloves garlic
black pepper
salt
butter/oil <margarine whatever>

1.chop and brown onions and garlic
2.add roughly chopped spinach
3. season with black pepper and a pinch of salt

4. roll out carefully each sheet of fillo
5 brush fillo with butter/oil solution to keep moist
6. fold in half - rectangular lengths
7. add a heaped spoon of spinach mix
8. fold diagonally into a triangle shape

9. brush with egg and sprinkle poppy sees or sesame seeds on top

10. bake in mod oven

11. eat!! :D
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yummy marinade ..

oyster sauce, garlic and brown sugar ..

soak chicken or beef in before cooking

cook asian greens in base of onions, garlic, oyster sauce and add a little soya at the end ..

the only way to eat bok choy and beans!! or wom bok or whatever .. spinach .. you name it .. its the only way to eat!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Peanut Buddy Bars

This is for pan cookies only. Do not make individual cookies! It won't work.

1 cup peanut butter (any kind will do)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter (melted is easier)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 packages of milk chocolate morsels

1. Beat peanut butter and butter together. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Slowly mix in flour and salt. Add 1 package of morsels.
Smooth into rectangle baking pan.

2. Bake 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes

3. Immediately after baking, sprinkle remaining package of morsels on top . Wait for them to melt, and the with a spatula, smooth over top (like icing). Let cool. Cut into squares.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

When I was in preschool we had to tell the teachers how to make our favorite foods. She wrote them all down and put them together for us. They are hilarious!

The only one I can remember was for steak: "Put the meat on the hot thing. When it's done cut it up with a big dangerous knife and eat!" 8)

Pie and Cake
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Caamora, your Peanut Buddy Bars sound wonderful. I'm gonna make some for the mini Ravers when they come visiting. What is the size of the packet of Chocolate morsels that you use? .....And I'm guessing that they are like pieces of chocolate that you can either melt down or add to recipes....a bit like our choc bits. :)

Leper Fairy....I'm still waiting for that recipe for Kahlua Cake. :?
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yes, they are the regular chocolate pieces. I think they are in 12 or 16 oz. packages - chocolate chips.

They are VERY good.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Yeah, where's the kahlua cake recipe? That sounds goooood. 8)
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

KAHLUA CAKE!!!

Cake:

1 package dark chocolate cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (3oz) package of instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup kahlua
1/2 cup creme de cacao

Topping:

1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons strong coffee
2 tablespoons kahlua
2 table spoons creme de cacao

For the cake, combine everything under 'cake'
(Ooooh, didn't see that one coming didja?!) Beat it for 4 minutes (NO MORE NO LESS!!! You beat it for 4 minutes and .2343 seconds and the whole thing is ruined!!! Actually, you could probably beat it forever and it would still taste awesome. Those chefs are just too picky) Pour into a greased 10 inch tube pan until 3/4 full (I use a bunt... the round thing... is that the same thing? I dont know all this crazy kitchen lingo) It says to save the any reamaining batter for cupcakes or to eat on the spot.(What about the salmonella my mom always warned me about, huh?!) Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees... remove from pan and invert (it honestly says invert!) Punch holes through out the cake with a skewer or ice pick(that's the fun part, you can pretend like you're fencing! Touche! En gaurde you cake pig! *poke poke* j/k :roll: ) Then mix the toppings and spoon over the cake and eat!!! Mmmm

I hope you found the recipe somewhere in all my comentary... Enjoy!
Last edited by The Leper Fairy on Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pie and Cake
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

mmmmmmmmm............. kaluha cake.

Thank you, Leper Fairy!
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

You guys gotta tell me if you like it! :D

Pie and Cake
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

*breathes a heavy sigh of relief*
Thankyou Leper Fairy!!!!!! I was starting to get a bit desperate!!!! We are having a family get together next weekend and I wanted to make a cake that was something different. (Nobody else in my family appreciates chocolate cake.) I thought you would never get this recipe posted.

As to the taste test..... I will keep you posted. :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Hey, what's a minor doing making this cake? (no, really, mom, I only used a quarter of a cup... hic!) :mrgreen: Actually, that sounds really good. I think I'll make it (always need an excuse to keep more liquor around the house). I'm pretty certain Hellfire'd like this one, too.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

I accidently fed the cupcakes to the kids I was babysitting "These cupcakes taste funny!" But thankfully the alcohol evaporates out... or at least I hope.

Pie and Cake
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yes, alcohol burns off in cooking.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

*whew* Have any of you tried it yet?

Pie and Cake
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. this is the recipe place isnt it??

ok simple meals for Turiya ..

wok cooking is excellent .. cos its all in the one utensil!! but you got to prepare the veggies before hand .. cos wok cooking is quick!!

we cook asian and italian in the wok ..

always prepare onion and fresh garlic to add to all dishes

Pasta and chicken ..

Cook pasta .. fettucine, penne noodles or what have you .. in a .. dammit .. a seperate pot ;)

lol

get wok heating on stove .. it needs to be hot .. dont let it burn and smoke though .. cos thats a tad too hot ;)

lol

ok lets begin .. prepare all veggies you want to add to the dish before heating the wok ..

add oil .. brown onion and then add garlic and toss for just a few seconds .. remove

add chicken breast fillet chopped .. and brown .. add a bit of rosemary .. for flavour and a good serving of black pepper .. maybe oregano too if you like .. last night we didnt .. but some times we do ..

I find cooking in small batches avoids the chicken sweating and the wok filling with water from the chicken

so once all the chicken you want is cooked .. add the onion and garlic back into wok and fold into chicken mix

add veggies .. personally with this dish i like just green beans and capsicum .. occasionally you can add spinach or other green leafy veggie too .. but depends on you

toss chicken and veggies in the wok till semi-cooked .. only takes a few mins .. then add pre-cooked noodles or fettucine .. fold noodles into chicken and veggie mix

now get some cream and add some chicken stock to it .. and a teaspoon of mustard .. <you dont need to add mustard if you prefer not to .. its still good>

pour cream mix into the chicken and noodles and stir in ..

make a nice fresh green salad .. with some italian dressing and fresh garlic tossed in .. and serve with the chicken and pasta dish ..

bon appetit ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “The Galley”