Kevin's Cookbook

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ha, weird, I was just thinking about a chilli topic here. Had cheese and chilli jam sandwiches for lunch yesterday.

I'm gonna copy this and pass it to the GF. She can just leave the meat out and put something else in.

We're exactly opposite to you guys obviously Syl, she loves things that take the skin of your palate, (that's how it feels to me anyway ;) ), while I, like your wife, can barely manage tabasco. (Although I like the jalapeno tobasco.)

Her gandfather makes an awesome Chilli Jam in various...temperatures though. Usually, I eat it with much rapid inhalations and cold liquids close at hand. :lol: Or dilute it with something less volatile.

--A
Chassit
Giantfriend

Re: Kevin's Cookbook

Post by Chassit »

caamora wrote:Chicken Broccoli Bake

1 can Swanson's White Chicken
1 box frozen chopped broccoli
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup ( can substitute cream of broccoli or
cream of chicken)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine or butter substitue
Italian breadcrumbs (to taste)
cheese (to taste)

Mix chicken, broccoli, and soup in a casserole dish. Top with cheese. Melt butter and mix in enough breadcrumbs to soak up butter but leave breadcrumbs somewhat moist (not soaked). Layer over cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are brown.

This is a very quick and easy and healthy meal. Most of the ingredients can be low or non-fat.

Enjoy.
** three years later** Wow! I remember seeing a version of this one! I have varied it to my taste, thusly:

1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast
5 or 6 fresh broccoli crowns
1 large can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Swanson chicken broth
1 cup water (approximate)
2 chicken bullion cubes
A little over 2 cups brown rice
Vegetable oil, paprika, salt and peper

Cut chicken breasts in half; fry in a little bit of oil till browned. Chop broccoli flourets to make about 2 cups (or more, if you like more). Remove chicken, pour in soups and water. Add bullion, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Add rice and broccoli, place chicken pieces on top and add more pepper if desired. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Feeds a family of 4 with plenty left over.

I suppose baking would be more healthy, though. :)
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "
- John Stuart Mill, English philosopher
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

av: cheese and chilli jam sandwiches

please explain.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Chassit, I make a crockpot chicken dish similar to the chicken dish above. However, you really have to know your crockpot. If it's one that's older than five years old, and follows the older long term cooking temperatures crockpots were famous for, the dish can take six to eight hours to cook. If it's five years old or newer, they tend to cook so hot it can be done in as little as four hours on LOW. But the finished dish is worth playing around with. I've had posters on other boards tell me it's good enough to be considered 'company food.' :)

Cream Cheese Chicken with Broccoli or Peas
(Pam/Menolly)

4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 package of dry Italian salad dressing mix (Good Seasons is fine)
1 can condensed low-fat cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz brick of low-fat cream cheese or Neufchatel, cut up in cubes
1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine (optional, can use all chicken juices instead)
1 large onion
1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
crushed garlic to taste
10 oz. frozen broccoli florets or frozen green peas

Spritz chicken breasts with olive oil from a mister and sprinkle with the dry Italian salad dressing mix (I did two layers in my Crock-Pot to make sure that the Italian seasoning got on all the chicken and not just those pieces on top).

If using a newer Crock-Pot bought within the past five years, cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. If using an older model that doesn't cook as hot, cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

About 45 minutes before done, sauté the onion and sliced mushrooms in a pan with cooking spray and then add the cream cheese, soup, and sherry to the saucepan, along with 1/4 cup of the juices that accumulate in the Crock-Pot, heat gently. If you have a fat separator, be sure to use that on the juices first. Add the crushed garlic and stir all ingredients until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour sauce mixture over chicken in Crock-Pot (do not drain out the rest of the juices, but use a fat separator on them if you can), add frozen florets or peas and cook an additional 30-45 minutes. Remove chicken to platter and stir sauce before putting in gravy boat.

Serve over mashed potatoes, boiled egg noodles or fettucini noodles.

This is a lower fat version of a classic crock pot recipe. I do not recommend using any non-fat substitutions, they just do not blend together as well in the end. Do not defrost the breasts first, it helps keep them from drying out.

One thing I had started doing not noted above, is cubing the chicken, misting with the olive oil and tossing with salad dressing mix prior to freezing it. I then just toss it frozen into the Crock-Pot to cook for three to four hours on LOW and proceed with the recipe from there. Done this way, no knives are needed to eat the recipe.

Jane's note: Using diced chicken, this made about 13 cups.
1 generous cup = 5 points (13 servings = 227 cal., 6 g. fat, 1 g. fiber; 12 servings = 246 cal, 6 g. fat, 1 g. fiber)
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

When having any curry, made yourself or from a packet, slice banana and a peeled apple and put all around the edge of the plate.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Stonemaybe wrote:When having any curry, made yourself or from a packet, slice banana and a peeled apple and put all around the edge of the plate.
Banana slices with curry brings back some cherished and long-forgotten memories. :( Thanks Stonemaybe. 8)

Sultanas are also an essential part of any curry. Throw them in early so they can attempt to rehydrate.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

No probs trap! Funnily enough the apple and banana thing goes back to when i was a kid and my dad would occasionally make us a boil-in-the-bag Vesta curry and do it. In the last couple of years I've started mking my own curries and remembered it, and it's great!

Sultanas ALWAYS go in my curry - from the start!!!! :lol:

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Tried this the other night, and very tasty it was too. I will try and look on that Cook's thesaurus site and get american names for these ingredients too.

Chilli-roasted sweet potatoes and lamb chops
serves four or a hungry two!
Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil
8 loin lamb chops (CT says loin=saddle)
750g/1lb 10oz sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
12 small shallots, peeled but left whole
1 large head garlic, broken into cloves but left whole
2 dried red chillies, roughly crushed with 1 tbsp cumin seeds
bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped (CT cilantro in US)

(I used fresh chillies not dried but still lovely)

Method
1. Heat oven to 220c/fan 200c/gas mark 7. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a roasting tray, then fry the chops on either side for a couple of minutes until brown and crispy.

2. Lift the chops from the pan and set aside. Throw in all the other ingredients except the coriander and toss in the oil.

3. Roast the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until everything is golden and nearly cooked.

4. Lay the chops on top of the sweet potatoes and place back in the oven for ten minutes more.

5. Toss the coriander and remaining olive oil through the vegetables and spoon onto plate with the chops.

Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I enjoyed my seafood curry so much, that I thought I'd publish my recipe:

Curry paste for fish and other seafood:

1/2 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cummin
1/2 dried chilli pepper (piri-piri, pinkie-tip sized strength 6-7)
4 cloves
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp nigella seed
All of the above ingredients must be whole and dried. Rost'n shake on a dry pan until aromas start to happen (no smoke though).
Poor onto cold plate to cool. Crush in mortar.
Mix with (in mortar):
2 tsp dried curryleaves
2 tsp of dried powdere turmeric
Add a tbsp of coarse salt to the mixture and grind to a powder in the mortar. Add
the zest of half a lime-fruit
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp of neutral cooking oil or ghee
the juice of the zested lime-fruit
Mix well with the pestil.

Keeps for weeks in the fridge. Watch for mold though.

Suggestion for use:
Use this paste for simmering with cocnut milk, broth or even wine, and add the vegies of your choice and cook untill desire tendernes. At the last moment add the fish cut into mouthfull chunks. Raw crustaceans should be stirfried first, but clams (fresh ones of couse) would make a great last minute addition.

I used the above amount for a pound of fish, half a pound of prawns and half a pound of vegies. Made a mild yet tasty curry.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Beer Cupcakes
Despite the addition of Guinness, these cakes are not at all bitter; instead, the beer adds richness and moisture, and balances the sweetness of the sugar. Working from another Nigella recipe, this one the Guinness Cake from Feast, I substituted brown sugar for white to add depth of flavor, and made tiny cakes instead of a large one in a springform. Topped with a cream cheese glaze, these are a crowd-pleasing, not-too-sweet dessert (and, if you call them muffins instead of cupcakes, and play up the beer angle, you can easily pass them off to guys). They’re also super-easy.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

(and, if you call them muffins instead of cupcakes, and play up the beer angle, you can easily pass them off to guys).
*LOL*

That looks so good. And easy. I've bookmarked it for the next time I'm having the guys over.

Have you tried them Syl?
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nah, just saw the recipe this morning. Think I'll hit the grocery store on the way home. And since you can't just buy one cup of Guiness... ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

The cupcakes look good, but it has really given me a taste for a Guinness. The place where I usually have lunch on Saturdays has it on tap, or draught as they would say. Hey! It's Saturday! I think I'll have one. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I love cooking and baking with Guiness. So much of a more natural yeasty flavor in the results.

And for meats, it tenderizes wonderfully.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

and its good for you to boot ;)

but beer cupcakes .. that's different .. guiness makes a great ingredient for greek bbq marinay (sp?) guiness pie yum .. with beef and veggies ..

but cupcakes ok .. got to give that a try ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Helper Sandwich:

two slices sourdough. Spread lightly with real mayo, pile on leftover Hamburger Helper as wanted, add slice of american cheese, microwave twenty seconds.

DEVOUR. =]
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I already posted a picture of this dish in the "What's for Dinner" thread and was asked for the recipe. Since I usually don't use recipes myself I wrote it down off the top of my head - so this is only a rough guideline and so a bit more of xx and a bit less of yy is possible - according to taste.

Roasted 5-spices duck breast on stir fried Chinese vegetables

For the duck:
2 boneless duck breasts with skin
½ teasppon Chinese 5-spices (not Indian 5-spices)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
a dash of Baijiu (or Gin)

For the vegetables:
1 clove of garlic
1 piece of fresh ginger
4 spring onions
sweet peppers
carrots
bean sprouts
oil (neutal taste, like groundnut or sunflower, no olive oil here, please)
1 tablespoon white caster sugar
1 tablespoon Shao Xing ricewine (or dry sherry)
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
coriander leaves

Cut the skin of duck breasts (and really only the skin) with a sharp knife into a crisscross pattern. Mix salt and 5-spices, carefully add the Baijiu/gin to get a coarse paste. Rub the skin sides of the duck breasts with paste. Be careful - these are strong flavors, less is sometimes more.

Heat a pan and put the duck breasts skin side down. You don’t need any extra fat because the duck fat will “melt” through the cuts in the skin.

In the meantime dissolve the honey in a bit of hot water. When the skin has a golden color, turn the breast over and brush the skin with the honey-water. Put the whole thing meatside down into the oven at medium heat. After 20 minutes they will still be pretty pink inside. If you like it more well down leave it in the oven longer. You may want to turn on the grill/top heat for the last minutes to get an extra crispy skin.

Let the meat rest in the switched off oven for a few minutes before cutting it to slices, this will help to keep the juices inside.

In the meantime finely chop teaspoon of garlic and a teaspoon of ginger, cut the spring onions in rings. Cut peppers and carrots into mouth size chunks (or whatever shape you like – I prefer it diamond-shaped vegetables).

Heat up a wok (and I really mean HEAT it up). Add 2 tablespoons of oil, add garlic, spring onions and ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add carrots and peppers and keep on stir-frying for a minute.

Add the caster sugar and keep stirring for another 10 seconds. Deglaze with ricewine, add the vinegar and the soy sauces.

Add bean sprouts and stir a few seconds more. If the sauce is too salty add a bit of warm water.

Serve duck breast on vegetables with rice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Vader’s whole roasted chicken thai-style

1 chicken (1200 gr)

For the filling:
Juice of ½ lime
Nam pla (fishsauce)
3 spring onions
2 small red chillis
2 cloves of garlic
1 stalk lemongrass
a thumb sized piece of ginger or galangal (peeled)
4 kaffir lime leaves

For the sauce:
1 Tbl neutral cooking oil
Kaeng phet daeng (red curry paste)
400 ml coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 stalk lemongrass
4 kaffir lime leaves
juice of ½ lime
palm or cane sugar (crushed)
vegetables (carrots, bamboo, mushrooms, thai eggplants/aubergines, and so forth)
cilantro

Rub the inside of the chicken with lime juice. This has two reasons – one to kill of bacteria (in the western world not much of a problem, in many Asian countries, however, vital. The other is that the lime of course adds flavour. Also pour in a Tbl of fishsauce.

Preheat your oven at 200°C / 400F (gas mark 6).

Roughly cut the spring onions, pierce the chillis a couple of time with the end of the knife, crush the thick end of one lemongrass stalk a bit. Stuff into the chicken together with garlic, the ginger and the kaffir lime leaves. Truss the bird or use toothpicks to keep the filling from falling out.

Get a cast-iron wok as hot as possible and add oil. Add curry paste (1 use 5-6 Tbl, if you don’t really like it hot start with 1 Tbl) and stir for a moment. You can always get it hotter later, so don’t worry here. Add half of the coconut milk and bring to the boil.

Put chicken in breast side down. Let it cook a few minutes, turn it and cook it breast side up again for a few minutes. Add the rest of the coconut milk, the remaining stalk of lemongrass (also a bit crushed), kaffir lime leaves and a generous Tbl of fishsauce.

Put wok into the oven for 30 minutes, turning the bird once in between. After 30 minutes take out the wok, put the chicken breast side up on a grill or baking tray, sprinkle with the sugar and put it back into the oven for at least another 30 minutes.

In the meantime strain the sauce from the wok into another pot, add sugar and season to taste. Add whatever vegetables you like, cut in mouthsized chunks. Let simmer for a while.

Serve chicken with the sauce and rice (jasmine rice or basmati) sprinkled with freshly chopped cilantro.

You could of course cook the chicken all the way through in the wok without taking it out in between in between, but I like the chicken skin to be crispy, that’s why I put it on the tray/grill for the last 30 minutes or so. Also the sugar on it will caramalize and give it golden brown finish.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

White Chicken Chile - When my wife and I make it we usually use the canned chicken and chile peppers but you can use fresh and I bet it would be awesome!

2 - Cans of chunk Chichen 12.5oz
2 - Cans of Great Northern or Navy beans (pour off the excess juice)
1 - Can Chicken broth
2 - Cans of Cream of Chicken
1 - Can chile peppers
1- tsp Basil
3 - tsp Cumin
(add jalepenos or habaneros to taste to spice this up)

Throw all this into a crockpot (stir it up) and let it stew for a few hours.

Serve covered with shredded cheese and a spoon (dollop) of sour cream right in the middle of the bowl.

Edit - We had a Iron Chef cook-off at work this week and this receipe won first place!!! :biggrin:
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

the best soup in the history of man

Post by lorin »

I invented it and I would say (quite modestly) that it is the best freakin' soup in the world.

two large butternut squash
6 large carrots
This makes a HUGE HUGE pot so dont freak out about the fat.

peel and cut the squash and carrots into manageable pieces
put in large pot with about 4 cups of water
cook until mush
use a hand blender and blend until smooth

add
three heaping tablespoons orange rind using micro planer

two tablespoons powdered ginger

two tablespoons salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 pint heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

two cups whole milk

1 stick butter

cook it at least one hour low and slow and covered. use more milk to thin it if it is too thick.

serve hot with heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt
and if you want, some diced fresh mango.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.

Return to “The Galley”