The Congery-Mirrors, Translating, Masters and stuff

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

danlo wrote:I'll have to really research that--but possibly the same properties in Mordant's sand that allow for mirror imaging do not allow for window glass to reflect... :?
Do we have ANY evidence that normal reflections even exist in Mordant? All mirrors are magical and it might be simply that normal mirrors do not exist as we know them in Mordant.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Terisa asks the same question, and the answer is, for all practical purposes, no. Terisa asks both Saddith and Geraden (at different times) how they see themselves. Saddith tells Terisa that the point of having a maid is to have someone to tell you when you look like crap or your buttons are done up wrong. Geraden explains that in general, people in Mordant are so afraid of being accidentally translated (or ending up
Spoiler
like Eremis
) that they avoid their reflections even in mud puddles.

At one point, Terisa even tries moving the lamps around in her room in Orison to see if she can't get a reflection of herself from the windows, but it doesn't work well enough for her needs. It's not that normal reflections aren't there--it's just that everyone avoids them. It also appears that making mirrors is pretty much a hit-or-miss operation (with the exception of Vagel, who can pretty much make any mirror he wants), so the chances of an Imager accidentally creating a flat glass that just happens to show the exact spot he's standing in are pretty slim.

At least, that's my understanding. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ryzel wrote:Do we have ANY evidence that normal reflections even exist in Mordant? All mirrors are magical and it might be simply that normal mirrors do not exist as we know them in Mordant.
Very true, the very antithesis of Terisa's apartment, isn't it? :?
fall far and well Pilots!
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Myste wrote:Terisa asks the same question, and the answer is, for all practical purposes, no. Terisa asks both Saddith and Geraden (at different times) how they see themselves. Saddith tells Terisa that the point of having a maid is to have someone to tell you when you look like crap or your buttons are done up wrong. Geraden explains that in general, people in Mordant are so afraid of being accidentally translated (or ending up
Spoiler
like Eremis
) that they avoid their reflections even in mud puddles.

At one point, Terisa even tries moving the lamps around in her room in Orison to see if she can't get a reflection of herself from the windows, but it doesn't work well enough for her needs. It's not that normal reflections aren't there--it's just that everyone avoids them. It also appears that making mirrors is pretty much a hit-or-miss operation (with the exception of Vagel, who can pretty much make any mirror he wants), so the chances of an Imager accidentally creating a flat glass that just happens to show the exact spot he's standing in are pretty slim.

At least, that's my understanding. :D
True...SRD evades this subject (brilliantly)...But there is a difference between normal reflections and flat glass right...flat glass shows you a place in the world you live in right, and if you had a flat mirror in you room at Orison and you would look at yourself, (If you had the time without going insansane) and raise your right arm it wouldn't mirror your gesture as we know it, you would see yourself raising the wrong arm...that means the right arm, ahrm, you know what I mean, like looking at a picture... But if you look into a river from a bridge or into a big silverbowl and raised your right arm? Wouldn't it really reflect as it does in our world?...

Of course Geraden had never looked into a flat mirror and couldn't see the difference when he first saw Terisa in her mirrored room...He just saw a lot of flat mirrors...

kastenessen
Expansion is meaningless without restriction; restriction is useless without expansion. But put them together and you get, well, a balloon.-SRD
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

The flat mirrors were all too dangerous for anyone but Teresa to be around anyway.

Kasten!!! You're alive! :D
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hail, kastenessen! We've missed you much. :(

Man, all this mirror stuff is too technical for me... :P
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

I am! Hello Dragonlily and MM and everybody else! :D Feels good to be back...what a great book TMOHD is! It's been some years since I last read it and it's a killer...again. It really sweeps you in with it's imignative storytelling and it's characters...

kastenessen
Expansion is meaningless without restriction; restriction is useless without expansion. But put them together and you get, well, a balloon.-SRD
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(compendium)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

bump for Wayfriend

Return to “Mordant's Need”