Archaeology

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Archaeology

Post by Kinslaughterer »

How about a new thread, or maybe a really old one?
I'm an archaeologist and I've been actively digging for about 4 years now. Primarily, I've been involved in Colonial American (historical) archaeology and prehistoric Native American arch. in the Shenandoah Valley region. Currently we are working on a site that could prove to be the oldest European inhabited area in West Virginia. It appears to be a tobacco farm circa 1725-1730. :?

Anyway, I'm seeking my PhD and at the moment I'm impatiently waiting for acceptance (or rejection) letters from said programs. Historic American arch is ok but I really love and hope to have some opportunities in Egyptology or Meso-American arch someday. :D

What do you think of archaeology? Seen or heard of any new or interesting sites? Like the Atlantis, lost continents, or lost civilization theories? I'll happily answer any questions you have too. I really enjoy talking about it and hope you would all like to discuss this field. :)
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Samadhi Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Samadhi Foul »

About a year ago, I found a really old wooden box in one of the caves we have here, and in it was old jewelry made of bones and what seemed to be gold. There were little pouches of shells too. I've got no clue what put the box there, but it was interesting.

I've always been fond of digging, so I think I might persue archaeology as a career whenever I turn 18. Egyptology seems to be what I'm interested in. :)

I think it would be great to learn more about Atlantis. Who knows what you might find? :D
Beware of cutlery. It is violent. And sharp.

Vayne has a good siggy-sense. ;)
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

When I think of archaeology I think of Egypt, Rome, Greece, the Middle East, all those really cool places that are supposed to be the cradle of early civilization.
Egyptology is one area for which I have a particular fascination, not that I have a detailed knowledge of it. One day I would love to be a part of a dig somewhere over there.....yeah I know its a hot hole of a place and the work is dirty and can be boring and frustrating, but there is always the promise of finding some sort of artifact or something; the experience would be one that you would never forget. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

What can u tell me about the huge undersea "walk ways" at Bimini?
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

That is truly an interesting place. Bimini was virtually unknown until Edgar Cayce, "the Sleeping Prophet", foretold of a road or section of Atlantis being discovered in the region. He made his predictions in the late 30's and early 40's. As it happened, the "Bimini Road" was discovered in the same year Cayce had predicted. The jury is still out on its significance however. Nearly all mainstream archaeologists scoff at the mention of Atlantis. But the stones do appear to have been cut at some point although many suggest that it is actually natural erosion. I havn't personally examined the site or any good photographs but I would love to see it and I have a vacation coming up soon... ;)

Egyptology is grand indeed! That is why I originally got involved in archaeology in the first place, that and Indiana Jones :D
Sometimes the work is arduous but the lead archaeologist acts as the supervisor and gets to be a little lazy. Not me though!
Despite the work, Infelice, artifacts are like the aliantha of archaeology. They can immediately reenergize you.

Lady Althea, where did you find this box? Do you still have it or any of its contents? If so please email me a scan or a pic if you are able. It sounds like you may have something really good there.

Oh and by the way, there is an Atlantis but I'll save that for another post. ; 8)
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I wanted to be an archaeologist (or even a paleontologist when I was really little) when I was a kid, but then I learned that it wasn't like Indiana Jones (ever seen any melting nazis?). Also, from what I understand, the job requires a lot of standing around in the dust and the sun. I have a meager knowledge of some of the archaeology in Israel.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

It all depends on where you dig. Excavations in the sand are a breeze because sand is a hundred times easier to dig than dirt or clay. The undergrads have to do most of the work; you've got to pay your dues so to speak. Believe me, I am still paying mine athough no nazis have shown up yet.

I love him, but Indy didn't do any actual archaeology.

There are some incredible sites in Isreal. There is a great site being scouted in the SE peninsula of the Dead Sea. I can't remember the name but I'll bet the turn up some amazing things.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

One of the coolest places I've ver been is Mesa Verde. :D
You have a wonderful job! :D
Love as thou wilt.

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Kin, you are my hero! Like everyone else, I am facinated by archaeology. I would love to read about your finds. If you ever go to Rome, please keep me posted. Ancient Rome is my personal passion. As a matter of fact, I have a dream to go to the American University in Rome to get a degree in Ancient Roman History. I just moved to Phoenix area, and at ASU, they have a major in Italian in which they send their students to Rome for the summer. I plan on being one of them.
The King has one more move.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Sounds great, caam :)

I've never been to Rome but I too have some interest in classical arch. With the way my life seems to work, I certainly might end up in Rome! :D

ASU has a very good anthropology/archaeology program. In fact I almost applied there.

Recently a couple of archs, Rick Jones and Damian Robinson, published their findings on the excavations of an entire city block of Pompeii. The city block is along the Via Consolare and has been meticulously cleaned and restored. Some of the things they unearthed are amazing.

Its late in the summer now but many colleges and universities offer field schools in archaeology. Usually you don't even have to be a student you just need to pay for it in most cases. Archaeologist ALWAYS need help and will usually take it anyway they can get it. ;) There is also an organization known as Earthwatch Expeditions who offer field schools in various parts of the world. I can't remember the address but they have a good web page and wide ranging digs. I recommend you check them out.

TLF

Post by TLF »

Kinslaughterer wrote:Oh and by the way, there is an Atlantis but I'll save that for another post. ; 8)
Do-tell! 8O :D :?

Arghhhh I forgot to sign in.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wow you certainly do have an interesting vocation .. archaeology always makes me think of places like Pompeii ..

a rely recently came back from a tour of the Pyramids and brought back pics of an amazing city .. but i cant remember its name .. it was magnificent .. any idea what it might be called ..

i think from memory it is cut into rock ..

mmm .. oh well .. i will see if i can find out .. but it was one of the most amazing places i have ever seen .. and would love to see it for myself ..

anyway .. cool vocation .. :)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I believe the city you're refering to is Thebes. It has the two great temples of Karnak and Luxor which are prime tourist sites and its RIGHT along the Nile. So close in fact Luxor is in danger of being severly damaged by the rising water table.

Archaeology certainly has its moments. Last summer I think I worked a bit too hard at least mentally. I woke up one morning on the floor of my bedroom with my digging trowel in hand. I thought that was kind of bizarre. However I looked down and saw a two foot square of carpet had been ripped up! I had actually "dug up" my carpet during the night!

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Too far away to be Petra?

That's pretty funny, Kin. Find anything?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

8O lol .. THATS GOT TO BE A WORRY ;) ;)

mmm .. nope its not Thebes .. its this really amazing place .. uggh i can almost see the name .. damnit!!

maybe it is just Pompei .. but i dont think so .. sorry not very helpful :wink:

<feeling quite enormously silly :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Well, Petra isn't out of the question if it was a wide ranging tour and it is one amazing site. If it was an Egyptian city it could be Aswan, Memphis, Heliopolis, or Abydos. Memphis and Heliopolis are very close to Giza. Abu Simbal was very close to Aswan and built out of living rock. I really haven't seen enough of Egypt to say for sure.

The only thing I found was carpet padding and plywood. :D
I keep the trowel in a drawer now. Good thing I didn't keep any shovels in the house! :D

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

YES YES YES .. IT WAS PETRA .. THE ROSE CITY OF PETRA!!

oh my word .. the pictures were amazing .. just brilliant!!

thank the gods you called it!! it was giving me an aneurism (sp?) trying to remember it!!

i really want to see it for myself .. just the most remarkable amazing place i have ever seen!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yes and from memory Petra was the city used in filming the Last Crusade ..

you guys!! how clever are you??? ;) ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh, sometimes my vast amount of useless knowledge comes in handy (like when watching Jeopardy). I don't know much about any one subject, but I know a lot of stuff about a lot of different things. :mrgreen:
-George Steiner

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”