Question requiring having read HBP

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Question requiring having read HBP

Post by Cagliostro »

I think most of us have read the HBP, but for those who haven't, a big spoiler will follow, which is what I almost named the thread. Anyway, here's the question:

I've been reading HBP for the second time, and it occurred to me: who will be the next headmaster? McGonagall? A new character? Will Hogwarts even be open for classes this year? Seems like it would as it has been the backdrop of all the stories so far. It makes sense that he might not come back, as he is hunting down horcruxes, but still...I think it will still be in the story.

Well?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

McGonagall, without question, IMO.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

McGonagall certainly. She's the deputy headmaster under DD so it stands to reason that she would follow him as headmaster. I think Hogwarts will stay open and play at least a minor part. I base this theory on one of the teachers saying something along the lines of "If even one student wants to learn I will teach them."
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Also, the subtitles of all the books have been Hogwarts: Year 1, Hogwarts: Year 6, etc. If it's part of the the same series, woudn't it be subtitled Hogwarts: Year 7? And if so, Hogwarts has to be featured somehow...
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

I agree that McGonagall would assume the role as Head-master since Dumbledore wasn't officially relieved and died in office as it were, same with an assassinated president where the VP would take over until election time.
Since Headmaster seems to be a life-long position or held for as long as the Ministry of Magic deems fit...

I seemed to have forgotten but didn't Dumbledore's portrait appear in the head-master's office after the funeral?

Speaking of which (and it may have to be split into a different thread) the question begs to ask are the portraits throughout Hogwarts ghosts or ?? You think about the living collectors cards from the Chocolate Frogs... Dumbledore was in them but he was still alive or was it another magical thing?

Things that make you go hmmmm?
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I remember distinctly talk of a totally new headmaster being brought in. Am I making this up?
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Lord Mhoram wrote:I remember distinctly talk of a totally new headmaster being brought in. Am I making this up?

Only you know the answer to that puzzler, LM. I seem to recall no real talk of who would take over...it's just that McGonagal makes so much sense... unless I am making THAT up.

Heh.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

I think that McGonagal is the most likely of choices. She is magically strong and was close to dumbledore. It seems like the logical progression to me.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

On page 625 of the hardcover HBP it says "It was several minutes before Harry became aware that they were not heading for Professor McGonagall's office, but for Dumbledore's, and another few seconds before he realized that of course, she had been deputy headmisstress....Apparently she was now headmistress...so the room behind the Gargoyle was now hers."

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:On page 625 of the hardcover HBP it says "It was several minutes before Harry became aware that they were not heading for Professor McGonagall's office, but for Dumbledore's, and another few seconds before he realized that of course, she had been deputy headmistress....Apparently she was now headmistress...so the room behind the Gargoyle was now hers."
Well that just answered the question now doesn't it. Thanks Jenn!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Thanks. I'm still in the middle of rereading that book, so I guess if I had waited until I finished, I would have answered my own question. Thanks Jenn!
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I dunno though...

Perhaps it means she's the interim headmistress, and the Governors of Hogwarts, or perhaps even the Ministry of Magic, will assign a different permanent Head over the summer break?

Yes, I do recall the room would not open for Umbridge when the Ministry sacked Dumbledore and put her in it's place, but...
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Why would they bother. McGonagall is the perfect person to take over IMHO.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Agreed.

But, because both the Board of Governors and the Ministry of Magic are mostly comprised of twits? I mean, why else would they have brought Umbridge in to begin with? McGonogall was there at that time as well.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Umbridge was there because Fudge was trying to control Hogwarts but more importantly to spy on Dumbledore. Now DD is dead. Fudge has been sacked. There's no real reason or motivation to bring any more ministry officials into the school.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

All valid points. But, I think both the Board of Governors and/or the Ministry are going to want their own puppet in control, after dealing with Dumbledore. McGonagall may not be as strong as Dumbledore, but she's cut from the same cloth. I suspect the Board or Ministry will want to prevent that type from being Headmaster, for a while anyway.

I can't believe Scrimgeour would take what Dumbledore dished out to Fudge sitting down, if Dumbledore was still alive.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Honestly, with DD dead and Harry not planning to return to school as per his statement in the end of HBP, I don't really see any reason for The Ministry to interfere that much at Hogwarts. I could be wrong though.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

McG certainly is the obvious choice, and Lucius is longer on the Board of Governors to influence anyone's decision, but, Scrimgeour didn't strike me as all that much different than Fudge, so, I'm not 100% confident that McG will be given the position. I think as pointed out, Harry has to spend some time there, due to the books being numbered "year X at Hogwarts". Also likely that a Horcrux is right under Dumbledore's nose, right there at Hogwarts, giving Harry a reason to return there. And perhaps, something will happen during the summer before that tells Harry he does need to start the year there.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

sindatur, you've read my mind. Those are all things I think could happen.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:sindatur, you've read my mind. Those are all things I think could happen.
Oh, sorry 'bout that, guess I should've asked permission first, eh? :wink:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”