The Rise and Fall of Empires RULES & General Discussion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Somehow it doesn't seem right that there is no option for hiring mercenary armies in the game. You could have them with standard strength/weakness levels, a lower cost than recruiting (you don't have to train them), but they only stay as long as you pay. How come there isn't something like that in the rules?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:Somehow it doesn't seem right that there is no option for hiring mercenary armies in the game. You could have them with standard strength/weakness levels, a lower cost than recruiting (you don't have to train them), but they only stay as long as you pay. How come there isn't something like that in the rules?
You know, I was only thinking about this a few weeks ago. I'll implement the rules by the end of the weekend. Thanks, Murrin.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Okay, I have updated the rules for tax and industry. Basically, I've come to the realisation that tax is not really realistic. For the entire game I have been concerned that populations mean nothing. Well, now they do. Plus, it's fairer for those empires that can't trade. Basically, income from tax and industry has grown significantly.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

Loremaster wrote:Build Defensive Facilities (16) – Defensive structures (ground to air missiles, orbital defences, fields protecting cities and industrial regions) are built on a designated planet.
Did this not cost 5 CCs before? Is it the only item that received an inflation of 11 CCs?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It was raised to 15CCs a little while ago, before the 1CC hike. I don't know why, but it was.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Typo. It should be 6.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I have two new game suggestions which you might be interested in implementing. The first is an alternative to Bread & Circuses. Though this may simply be a matter of semantics, it could be interesting to have a Repress Dissent order, which has the same effect as Bread & Circuses, essentially, though it might suit more draconian civilisations more.

The second suggestion is to allow a decoy factor in espionage missions. For instance, let's say that player A wants to sabotage player B's industry. He anticipates that player B will have Counter-Espionage going, so he sends a decoy mission in the same turn to do something else (such as an assassination etc), so as to to distract the counter-intelligence, from the real sabotage mission.

Furthermore, is there any provision for having double-agents?
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

The game threads awefully quiet now. Im trying to think of something worth posting :s
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I'm waiting for the next turn results until I post. I'm not going to post in the game thread just for the sake of it.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:The game threads awefully quiet now.
It's the calm before the storm. I mean it.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Turn Twelve submissions deadline is friday!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Are we missing an entry for the Galactic History?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Montressor wrote:Are we missing an entry for the Galactic History?
Yes.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I wont name who helped me come up with this rule, as it might give the empire away, but I've been assisted in creating a new rule - Piracy. Basically, you hire pirates to attack merchant lanes and steal money. There's a chance the trade route will shut down, too.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Are there ways to counter that kind of action, or for the source to be discovered?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Montressor wrote:Are we missing an entry for the Galactic History?
On it tonight. Sorry guys! Work has been busy as of late.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:Are there ways to counter that kind of action, or for the source to be discovered?
Yeah.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Loremaster wrote:
Murrin wrote:Are there ways to counter that kind of action, or for the source to be discovered?
Yeah.
Such as . . . ?

How about assigning destroyers to protect specific trade lanes?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Montressor wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
Yeah.
Such as . . . ?

How about assigning destroyers to protect specific trade lanes?
Given that I don't calculate merchant vessel movement, I can't say destroyers are used for protecting them. At the moment, it's looking likely that you will have to pay between 6-11CCs to protect trade routes.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

I like that. It's more like just building specific guard ships to ride alongside the trade freights.

On another note, thanks for the patience with the History. New one's up, and my turns been submitted. Should be fun! :D

Return to “Empires”