The Rise and Fall of Empires (GAME THREAD)

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

An Excerpt from Grass in the Winds: A Biography of Lamont Renard

Through a wave-plated glass window small sounds can be heard. Like the waves of the sea, pages are being turned, back and forth, back and forth. Small swishing noises, like the movement of clouds, probably from a cigar, wafts around the room. And above it all, a sound not heard from this office for a long, long time. The sounds of a simple tuneless tune. Mixed between whistles and hums, it was not complex or even that meaningful in and of itself. However, it was the fact that it existed at all that made it significant. Captain Renard had finally allowed himself this little joy. This little sign that all was beginning to be well again. The Cataclysm was far enough behind him that he could sing a little tune in his office, and smoke a soft cigar while going through his reports. Everything would be right again.

For quite some time, it did not look as if everything would turn out right in the end, turn out like a fairy tale that children are told. For the Alliance, things look very dark indeed, for years after the Cataclysm. So few made it past the death of their planet. Too few. Too much was lost. Books, machinery, teachings. So few had knowledge to pass to the even smaller population of children, but pass it did. And in time, industry was reestablished. Domes were set up, and new spaceports built. New legislation and taxes were passed, and a new Head Technician was assigned to lead position.

The people off Ross 154 were strong. Even before the Cataclysm, they had always banded together against the threats inherent on their planet. For many were the threats. Unlike many of their new allies in te galaxy, the people of Ross did not start out high on the food chain. In fact, it was only recently through gene manipulation, now lost to the Cataclysm, were they able to tame the mad and bloodthirsty Talga; the giant panther like cat of Ross 154. It dwelled in the trees abundant on Ross, and leap t like thunder to kill swiftly and without remorse. The people have always been against violence, always against changing their environment unnecessarily. At least, that was the thinking untill a new talga took charge. This one was strange. It led. It convinced. It thought.

Nature, it seemed, had brought Ross' most dangerous predator to a entirely new level of threat. And in time, this new talga was given a name by the people of Ross 154. Ebon Grief.

It was the natural course of things, that it was either the people or Ebon Grief and his talga. For the hatred ran deep on Ross, and there was no chance of peace between the two races. Attacks came from both sides. Huge raids at night in all the Middle Cites came at all hours of the day. Day, as well as night, was now the territory of the talga as well as the people. Hunting parties of Artisans were sent out at regular intervals. Always looking for Ebon Grief, for without him, the other talgas would revert back to their primal state. The hunts were fruitless. And things only got worse, and worse.

Until Felger's Principle was discovered.

Felger's Principle revealed the basic gene for the intelligence that separated so called "animals" from the thinking beings. This gene could be manipulated for increased, or decreased, intelligence. All they need now was an opportunity.

So a trap was set with bait irressitable to Ebon Grief. A large population of children were moved to a Middle Cite located near the forest that Ebon Grief first arrived in. At the same time, the men of the Cite appeared to move out on the hunt to the south. The Cite looked empty, save for the women and children. Easy pickings.

It was near sundown when he appeared on the horizon. Near to seven feet at the shoulder. close to thirteen feet long, and black as night. Eyes that saw and distinguished more than food and not food. Eyes that could plan, could anticipate. But not far enough.

As soon as he moved into the Cite, the trap was sprung. From the rooftops blowguns were fired at Ebon Grief, each loaded with enough of the Felger therapy to revert Ebon Grief to primacy. He was git four times, but such was the strength of Ebon Grief that he was able to leap to the roofs and kill three of the hunters before he dropped, never to move again.

Ebon Grief is still told to children as the nightmares we each have, for if he should ever return, Felger's Principle was lost to the Cataclysm, and we would be vulnerable. Too vulnerable.

But on this night, even the terrible memory of Ebon Grief could not dampen Lamont Renard's cheer. With cigar in mouth, tune in voice, and report in hands the new future of Ross 154 was clear and bright.

They would survive. For the first time in the year since the Cataclysm population was on the incline. Industry was improving, with the aide of the new allies the people have made, and a new medical technology was sweeping aside the death so rampant after the change from land to space life.

They would survive.
Eugen Razvan
Giantfriend

Post by Eugen Razvan »

Galactic Daily News

Issue 509

The Fountain of Youth

In an astonishing find, SurvCorp has just found the gas giant, Maelstrom. The Delucrii had signed a contract with the surveying company to search two nearby systems. However, the compant believes that this discovery does not belong to the Delucrii yet. Despite the fact that the Delucrii payed the company to search nearby systems, and despite that a contract was signed whereby the discoveries technically are Delucrii findings, SurvCorp state no one should own this world. This is a complex legal issue that I am sure will be debated for many months or years.

When the surveyor company's ships decelerated into a system orbiting a faint yellow star, they immediately detected complex chemicals in the atmosphere of a massive gas giant. The sensors identified the chemicals as organic, and further scans detected trillions of organisms - large and small - floating, flying and swimming in the churning atmosphere of Maelstrom. One of the chemicals, however, appears to be able to extend one's youth, so that individuals who ingest or inject it will remain young for a very long time. The chemical also has the ability to boost the immune system. Therefore, control of Maelstrom will grant that Empire a large increase to population growth and a massive increase in trade revenue (there are other chemicals in the atmosphere that are of interest to many empires, and I am certain they will want to trade for them).

Maelstrom has seventeen moons, yet not one of them is habitable. If an empire wishes to control this gas giant, they must station a fleet there (at least). I can imagine that if other empires become greedy, they might send in their own fleets to control the system. In this way I predict that the system will become a graveyard of warship hulls and their frozen crews, with the victors collecting a drug worth more than entire systems.

G'Klek O'Doherty
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

I am not sure how to approach this issue, Representatives.

On the one hand, the Delcruii were the ones who payed SurvCorp to explore that system. On the other, arguabley the most influential technology in the history of ALL our histories. The Fountain of Youth.

I suggest that for the time being, Maelstrom be left uninhabited and unclaimed, untill a decision can be made.
Pando
Servant of the Land

Post by Pando »

The Auctor reached a hand up to adjust the pair of wire-framed spectacles perched high on his snout, glancing around the table as he did so. The eyes of the Quorum were turned toward him; the empty seat of Alric Melnius--Proctor Colonicus now, he reminded himself--was conspicuous several places to his right. Orlin was drumming his fingers on the table, clearly impatient once again. The Auctor cleared his throat, and continued.
"So we are all in agreement?" A ripple of nods around the table. "Very well." The Auctor raised the gavel that sat before him on the desk. "A contract was made between the Quorum Delucrii and ServCorp. Delucri has first claim on the systems." He brought the gavel down on the table with a sharp rap. "Motion passed.
"Frankly I don't know why there was any question. Next item: protection of newly acquired assets from external threats. You have a proposal, Proctor Gammus?"
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

In reply to the momentous discovery only recently announced, we, the T'lesir Core, wish to announce that we, the T'lesir, believe this world is too precious to belong to any single empire, and that its resources should be freely shared among all the empires in the galaxy. This is what we believe would be the wisest course of action, which will also save countless lives in the long run. We, the T'lesir Core, would be glad to see this happen, and would gladly contribute to the establishment of an inter-imperial fleet for all empires to share Maelstrom's riches. Otherwise, we, the T'lesir, have no desire to claim the world Maelstrom for ourselves; however, we, the T'lesir, believe the character of many Empires will be demonstrated by the fate of this lone world. Thus we, the T'lesir Core, will be watching carefully the activities of the various empires in the next months, and our stance towards them will be adjusted according to their behaviour concerning the world Maelstrom, and other empires who might wish to claim it or share it.
We do, however, foresee much war and sorrow in the future, should any single empire lay claim upon Maelstrom, and we, the T'lesir Core, fear that one day the future generations might name it the Graveyard.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

Well, I guess that's the begining of a long road. I hope your ready for this, Auctor. This is going to get nasty.
Orion
Servant of the Land

Post by Orion »

Orion has no interest in the newly discovered planet Malestrom. A "fountain of youth" may be provocative for some races but Orion has no need for elongated existence. Death is a part of life and extending life beyond its normal state is unnatural and can have negative consequences.

That being said, it was the Delucrii that paid SurvCorp to survey the area and therefore, it should be the Delucrii that lay claim to it and should have all rights to it.

We are happy to congratulate the Delucrii for their find and wish them much success.
Eugen Razvan
Giantfriend

Post by Eugen Razvan »

Galactic Daily News

Issue 511

Savage Planet

The heat. The humidity. The sweat pouring down my brow, back and arms. The droning of insects, and the ceaseless thick humidity cloying to the jungle. Welcome to Savage Planet.

My name is Henry Archibald Tarkovsky, human explorer and adventurer. I'm a member of the Surveyor Corporation, or to be more exact, a freelance explorer. Four months ago I was standing on the Krullen's homeworld, Argothia. Today I am standing on the side of a large volcano on Savage Planet. All around me and as for as far as I can see is a thick, steaming jungle. My only protection is the SurvCorp machine drone (G40) to guard me.

Although, do I need protection? From the ever present humidity or from something else? Perhaps. One side of the volcano had collapsed millions of years ago, leaving an exposed rocky side where the jungle cannot take root. There are hundreds of caves and crevices, all of which are filled with artifacts and paintings - the markings of a primitive culture that may be long gone. The translators of my robot state that the primitives were known as the Bungaboi Men - savage, insect-like humanoids. The artwork now and then shows that they were killed off long ago by war or disease. Yet, I cannot shake the feeling that the Bungaboi are still alive - watching me with their stalk-eyes from behind damp bushes or fetid clumps of the everpresent fungus stalks.

Yet, alive or not, the Bungaboi men are not the greater problem for the Krullen Empire. In three hours, my SurvCorp vessel is due to leave this system before the reptilians arrive en force to conquer the planet. But I doubt that they will conquer Savage Planet. More likely, the humidity will defeat them.

I see a patch of fungus growing on my arm . . . it makes my skin feel cool and comfortable . . . sweet fungus . . . . sweet fungus . . .

An exerpt from Henry Archibald Tarkovsky's diary. His body was never found (although there is a curious mound of fungus matching his size on Hodgson's Mountain).
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Auctor Delucrius wrote:The Auctor reached a hand up to adjust the pair of wire-framed spectacles perched high on his snout, glancing around the table as he did so. The eyes of the Quorum were turned toward him; the empty seat of Alric Melnius--Proctor Colonicus now, he reminded himself--was conspicuous several places to his right. Orlin was drumming his fingers on the table, clearly impatient once again. The Auctor cleared his throat, and continued.
"So we are all in agreement?" A ripple of nods around the table. "Very well." The Auctor raised the gavel that sat before him on the desk. "A contract was made between the Quorum Delucrii and SurvCorp. Delucri has first claim on the systems." He brought the gavel down on the table with a sharp rap. "Motion passed.
"Frankly I don't know why there was any question. Next item: protection of newly acquired assets from external threats. You have a proposal, Proctor Gammus?"
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

To the Auctor of the Delucrii,

I have been instructed by the government of Chairman Kalaid to announce the standing of the Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha on the issue of the Fountain of Youth. It is the opinion of our Empire that the planet should remain unclaimed by any empire. This planet holds a potentally dangerous drug which could do untold harm to the inhabitants of the galaxy.

We concur entirely with the T'Lesir Core, a learned and evidently wise civilisation. The planet must remain neutral. As such, Chairman Kalaid proposes that each empire stations a fleet of military vessels in orbit of the planet, to safeguard its neutrality. Our own Navy is experienced and well equipped for war, and we are entirely capable of supplying a peace-keeping force.

Ehteisei-Kuhm,
Conciliator
"To promote the Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha, through science, and through the Assisted-Divinity of the Everlasting Emperor; to advance and to evolve always forward, throwing off the mawkish sentimentality of lesser beings; to suffer no imposition; and to accept no destiny but that which we make. These were the aims of The Servants of The Emperor, and these are the aims of all true Erkirithi. Long shall prevail the will of the Emperor" - the last words of Ukule-Thaid, convicted of the assassination of Chairman Kleth, 432nd cycle.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

The Triumverate of the Vishal feels we are too far away from this planet to get involve din this matter.

However, In saying that, our military advisers say that having the empire with the strongest navy provided a peace keeping force is a strategic era, and that if you wish it to remain truly neutral you would have all the smaller empires make up a task force, with no one nation providing more troops than others.

Our generals are surprised that a military minded nation like the Erkirithi-Sha had not thought of this themselves, but these things happen. It was honorable of them to offer their help.

We would also like to let you all know that we shall soon be setting up a defensive structure at the wormhole on our side of the gulf, to protect you all from anything that chooses to come through the gulf, that you could mistake for our own vessels or what have you, thus enticing war. If you wish to pass through to our side of the gulf, then please get in contact first and ask for permission, stating your reasons.

Our reason for this is that we have recently discovered that these wormholes dont just open into our own system, but other systems as well. We are worried that hostile nations may travel from other such systems and war would ensue, and thus, we are protecting not just our interests, but the interests of us all.

Also, we have had nations contacting us for trade agreements. While we are cautious about aiding other nations, if a nation feels that they can create a situation that is not completely parasitic to us, then feel free to get in touch to discuss these matters.

That is all

Guide Shinto'Sha
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

Dorian wrote: Our generals are surprised that a military minded nation like the Erkirithi-Sha had not thought of this themselves, but these things happen. It was honorable of them to offer their help.
We did, in fact, suggest this:

As such, Chairman Kalaid proposes that each empire stations a fleet of military vessels in orbit of the planet, to safeguard its neutrality.
"To promote the Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha, through science, and through the Assisted-Divinity of the Everlasting Emperor; to advance and to evolve always forward, throwing off the mawkish sentimentality of lesser beings; to suffer no imposition; and to accept no destiny but that which we make. These were the aims of The Servants of The Emperor, and these are the aims of all true Erkirithi. Long shall prevail the will of the Emperor" - the last words of Ukule-Thaid, convicted of the assassination of Chairman Kleth, 432nd cycle.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Yes we noted this, it was just the added suggestion of you providing a peace keeping force that caught attention

A great military minded race like yourself would be more suited in the adviser role we would think. We apologize if we have caused offense, we just believe that having a strong nation provide the peace keeping force is not the smartest idea, unless the said strong nation wished to take the planet as their own, in which case it would be military greatness.

Not that we are suggesting that you would wish to take the planet for your own, in deed we are not. But if you wanted to, then provided the peacekeeping force would be the best way of doing it. Do you not see our point? Im sure you would be no different if it was us that offered the peace keeping force, or any other military minded peoples.

For peace keeping, the peaceful races would be best suited. It is juts our advice, however, we are now choosing to remain out of this subject, as we have nothing to do with it
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

We understand your concern, though we do not believe it is warranted in this case. It is true that our navy is great - the Galactic Column Bank freely admitted to us that our navy was the greatest they had encountered - though it is not true that we have designs on the planet.

The Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha has already made its territorial claims clear in our Kalaid Doctrine. The Fountain of Youth lies too far from our sphere to be a realistic goal of imperial expansion. That said, we see no reason why we should not send a peacekeeping fleet. We encourage other civilisations to do likewise.

Ehteisei-Kuhm,
Conciliator
Last edited by Erkirithi-Sha on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

The Free Traders have no interest in this planet, and will not contest its ownership, or supply a fleet to protect its neutrality. As holders of the contract, the Delucrii have first rights.

If they wish to trade anything they reap from the world, the Free Traders are always open to negotiations.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

Well, we have an interest in it, though not necessarily a military one. With the Cataclysm came a drastic drop in our population, and we're STILL reeling from it. This Fountain of Youth would work wonders for our industry.

Are the Delucrii open to share?
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

ross154alliance wrote:Are the Delucrii open to share?
We, the T'lesir Core, have attempted to send a message to the Delucrii, in hopes of finding out what their position is; as of today, we, the T'lesir Core, have not received any reply yet. We would propose to assume that, should the Delucrii not answer in the next six months, such silence should be taken as a sign they wish not to acknowledge our words and prefer instead to lay sole claim to the planet.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

T'lesir Core wrote:
ross154alliance wrote:Are the Delucrii open to share?
We, the T'lesir Core, have attempted to send a message to the Delucrii, in hopes of finding out what their position is; as of today, we, the T'lesir Core, have not received any reply yet. We would propose to assume that, should the Delucrii not answer in the next six months, such silence should be taken as a sign they wish not to acknowledge our words and prefer instead to lay sole claim to the planet.
Hmm....

I guess we can only wait, then.
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

We, the T'lesir Core, have received word from Auctor Delucrius. He states that the Delucrii intend to lay claim to the planet Maelstrom, but that they do not wish to hoard its resources, and are willing to establish trade routes for other races to benefit from the substances of the world. We, the T'lesir, believe that as long as the Delucrii are willing to share with other races without hoarding the majority of Maelstrom's resources for themselves, their claim to the planet might be accepted due to the contract signed between SuvCorp and their race. Jeopardizing this contract could, after all, create a precedent for subsequent surveillances ordered by other empires as well.
We, the T'lesir, also propose that the Delucrii be contacted with an offer to send ships nearby Maelstrom - not to seize control of it, but rather to prevent warlike races who might wish to claim sole control of the world from seizing Maelstrom itself.
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

This is not acceptable to us. Trade of the insidious Fountain of Youth drug runs counter to the laws of nature, and will only lead to the denizes of this galaxy becoming enthralled to the peddlers of Maelstrom's bounty. We believe our suggestion that each empire should maintain a small fleet in orbit of Maelstrom, so as to deny its monopoly, and to garuntee its neautrality, is a sounder alternative.

The Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha will maintain no trade deals with any species which attempts to gain a monopoly of the planet. If one species does gain a monopoly, we shall hold them accountabe if the drug is found in use by any member of our species. To suggest, of course, that a superior species such as our own could fall victim to the narcotics of another may seem ludicrous, but we remain ever vigilant of even the smallest threats.

Ehteisei-Kuhm,
Conciliator

Return to “Empires”