Countdown

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

26 for me (mines coming tomorrow through the mail by 10am California time)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Please note: this post contains no spoilers.

Well, I made it until the night before without spoilers. Last night, the girlfriend was telling me about how apparently spoilers are rampant out there right now. And that J.K. is out there begging others not to reveal secrets. And then she blurts out something major to the story, and says it so fast that I can't react in time. She hasn't read the books, and typically doesn't worry about spoilers, so I guess she thought I wouldn't mind, even though I told her that I wanted to read through the book quickly before I heard anything, and said that I appreciate the author coming out and doing that. I'm not quite sure what she was thinking. Once it is all said and done, and everyone knows, I'll put spoiler tags around what she told me, but it is still too early. I got so damn angry, and now I feel like the last book has been compromised. But she did come and apologize to me, and so I had to forgive her, but at least I have one of those things to whip out whenever we get in the "well, you did this" conversations that happen in relationships.

I just can't believe the last book of the series has been spoiled for me. Obviously it isn't like it has been completely ruined, but it will definitely marr the experience, which I wanted to come at fresh. Dammit.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

{{{Cag}}}

Man, that sux. I am sorry.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cag, if it comforts you, JKR's lawyers have said that only some of the spoilers are true, and that most of the true ones are more likely to lead to more questions than give answers (Although maybe that's changed by now?), so, if you got something blatant, perhaps you'll be lucky enough it wasn't true.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I can only hope. But I've heard the rumors more and more are true. And from working at Barnes & Noble years ago, the books have to arrive at some point to the bookstores, and this would be about the right timeline. The boxes for the third and fourth books were all marked, "Do not open until {date}", but it wasn't like there was a magic padlock on it that only opened then. I'm sure people have already been pacing through it, and there are enough a-holes out there that would love to ruin a good anticipation for something they don't care about. So I suspect she may have heard something legit, but we'll see. I really hope it isn't true, so that way I can be surprised. But I'll be reading it with that in mind now. Which makes me a sad panda.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

OH CAG! That really really sucks my brothah. Hugs to you. Keep in mind however that you won't know if it's actually true until you read it in the book. Just remember, all is theory and conjecture until read in black and white for yourself. I won't believe ANYTHING until I see it in print. I am Jenn the UNBELIEVER (of HP spoilers anyway) Join me Cag in my chant:

I won't believe it til I read it
Don't believe it til I read it
Won't believe it til I read it
Can't believe it til I read it

:P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Also, you said yourself that she hasn't read the books, right Cag? So she's just repeating second hand RUMOR and CONJECTURE. She hasn't seen it herself so how can she KNOW?
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

What's really sad is that there's the possibility of Rowling not doing another series like this one. Simply on the basis that if she happens to hit that golden goose twice with another series that she'll be put off by it because of the stolen books, pre-dated sales and spoilers being wrought out everywhere she turns. It'd be enough to tick me off if I were the author that my loyal fanbase can't enjoy a good read without someone mucking it up.
Even Stephen King with his Dark Tower series didn't have this much of a problem when his final book of the series came out. Pretty sad.
But in less than 36 hours we'll all be able to breathe easy and the spoiler terrorism is over with.
I've been looking for them myself on the net just for the heck of it.
I got to wait til the first of the month before I can buy my own copy anyway so I'm in no rush. Besides re-re-reading the Sorcerer's Stone again in anticipation of the dissection! I'm counting down to THAT mates. Oi!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote:Besides re-re-reading the Sorcerer's Stone again in anticipation of the dissection! I'm counting down to THAT mates. Oi!
:D

Heh...

No pressure, aye Seafoam? ;)

*wry grin of chagrin*

Truly, give me a couple of weeks for everyone to get to read and talk about DH, and I'll start organizing it. Although I admit I had no idea so many Watchers frequented this forum. I'm guessing my tactic of starting the dissection here while going unnoticed except for a few may be a bit optimistic. Perhaps I should take danlo up on his offer of an entire forum dedicated to the dissection over on the Hangar after all. I'll post a poll asking for everyone's opinion regarding it in a week or so. I just want to let the excitement about DH die down a little first.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:OH CAG! That really really sucks my brothah. Hugs to you. Keep in mind however that you won't know if it's actually true until you read it in the book. Just remember, all is theory and conjecture until read in black and white for yourself. I won't believe ANYTHING until I see it in print. I am Jenn the UNBELIEVER (of HP spoilers anyway) Join me Cag in my chant:

:P

Yeah, I'll just try and alter my brain. Maybe if I drink a lot tonight. Then again, I can't imagine going drunk in to the HP party at a Barnes & Noble.
Okay, here we go:

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

You da man, Cag!!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I've got my copy!!!! :biggrin:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Enjoy it!!

But, let me see...14 hours ahead of me, making 17 hours ahead of west coasters...amazon guarantees delivery by 10:00 am, making it 1:00 PM my time...

Can you wait until after 3:00 am on Sunday to start posting about it Sea?
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Menolly wrote:Can you wait until after 3:00 am on Sunday to start posting about it Sea?
:lol: Don't worry Menolly! I'm packing for my trip so can't read now and I read so slowly...even by that time I'd probably have only read a chapter or two!

Silly me...I feckin' looked at a newspaper article which revealed
Spoiler
the death count
<- That's not really a spoiler as such...but I went "oh damn...I could have done without knowing that (as I like to know nothing about the book at all before I read it). So I've spoilered it just in case.

Back to packing....
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*refusing to look*

If I need to see what it is for mod reasons, someone who does look at it tell me...
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Seareach wrote:I've got my copy!!!! :biggrin:
So ... is the spoiler true? Lucius Malfoy is Voldemort's secret gay lover?? Right??

I knew it! :-x
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:spew:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

FIVE minutes!!!

FREE SEVERUS!!!
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Seafoam Understone wrote: So ... is the spoiler true? Lucius Malfoy is Voldemort's secret gay lover?? Right??

Oh no! No more spoilers! *sob* You ruined it for everyone! ;)
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Seafoam Understone wrote:
So ... is the spoiler true? Lucius Malfoy is Voldemort's secret gay lover?? Right??

8O Shouldn't you be using spoiler tags?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

But, hey, I was more blown away by the revelation that Harry's love for Cho was just a cover for the fact that he has secretly desired Ron from the moment he met him...

...oh...hang on...should I spoiler that??.... ;)

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”