Caution!! Leaky Cauldron warns of real spoilers on the net

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Caution!! Leaky Cauldron warns of real spoilers on the net

Post by sindatur »

No Spoilers in this post

Be very vigilant folks. Word is someone has Deathly Hallows already, and has posted lists of various things in various places. Leaky Cauldron seems to believe this time it's real, so spoilers could be anywhere from anyone for Deathly Hallows. They scanned page by page, and are apparently translating it to text.

in the past these Spoiler Cretins have done things like going into totally unrelated threads, like for example a thread about Alias, and just blurting out things like XXXXXXXXXX dies in HBP, killed by XXXXXXXXX.

Also another trick they've pulled in the past, is to post legitimate news stories, and insert spoilers into the middle of the articles. So, if you're planning on a media blackout in the next few days, you may want to consider starting today.[/b]
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Thanks Sindatur!

Warning heeded.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

A couple of days ago someone on SFFWorld linked to a page with scans that were apparently of the epilogue of the book. It looked real enough, but I won't be convinced until I see for myself.
I didn't read it, but I scanned enough to pick up the basic details. That I might now know something of what will happen--no details of the final scenes, but reading what happens afterward obviously says enough on some things--doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Reading a spoiler doesn't do that for me... spoil it, as it does for some people. The ONE thing that they absolutely cannot take away is the thrill of reading it for yourself and reading the story leading up to the spoiler itself and the aftermath.
So what if they say XXXX kills XXXX ... they won't be able to replicate how XXXX got into the situation that killed XXXX or the why's or everything else. The emotional build up will not be there, the suspense, the shocking aftermath and all of that.
The art of reading is just that. An art. Getting immersed into the story itself and being carried away by it for a few hours or even a few minutes (i.e. reading on a bus or during lunch hour(s) ). I've learned how to enjoy reading for the sake of reading and letting an author take me to someplace far away and at another time.

If you catch a spoiler, ignore it. Pity the loser who posted it and enjoy the whole book, the whole story as the author intended.

Meanwhile I propose a BAN (temporary or permanent) upon anyone who posts said (legitimate) spoilers anywhere on KW until Saturday and then if the spoilers aren't blacked out for the next ...ohh, month or so...
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Article concerning the leaks... possible spoilers... I don't see 'em but... fair warning just the same.
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1564941/20070717/index.jhtml
Jul 18 2007 1:05 PM EDT
'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows' Leaks: Some Are Legit, Rowling's Attorney Reveals
However, hundreds of contradictory pages pose more questions than answers.
Several Web sites have published what they claim are actual pages — and, in some cases, full chapters — of the highly guarded tome (see "Why Harry Potter Has To Die In Book Seven"). And on Wednesday (July 18), J.K. Rowling's attorney issued a statement saying that amid the hundreds of fake pages that have appeared online in recent days, some are legit; he did not specify which ones are real. However, the pages pose more questions than answers.

stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Yeah, here's a column about how some of the books got out:
www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2003-0 ... rity_x.htm

I don't really think that knowing the ending would detract from the reading experience itself, but I still don't want to know. I don't want to have the knowledge that, "Harry killed Voldemort, but Ginny and Hermione died in the struggle, so Ron had a psychotic break during which he Avada Kedavra'd Harry in the back of the head, and Snape subsequently apprehended Ron and then entered a civil union with Flitwick, after which Luna became Minister of Magic and married Lupin, who was never really a werewolf but was faking it to get a break on his taxes" in the back of my mind while I'm reading. I'd rather be surprised.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Too bad that Law Enforcement Agencies can't just say "Accio Book 7" and have them all come flying back to where they belong. :lol:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”