Deathly Hallows Discussion: Spoilers!!!

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Spoiler
I think the Malfoys just ran around looking for Draco. If I remember correctly, the closest thing any of them did to opposing Voldemort was Narcissa lying to him (when she told him Harry was dead).
Menolly wrote:If you are going to spoiler a quote, hit quote first, then spoiler.
* edit
Sorry about that. I always check posts, but I think I mentioned earlier how I must have it set so that spoiler tags don't show when I'm logged in (and I'm not sure how to change it). So I always have to log out to see if I did the spoilers right. You caught it faster than I could fix it. :)
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Romeo wrote:
Spoiler
I suspect that the three of them did finish up at Hogwarts before entering the "real" world. I'm sure there will still be the need for Aurors - dark wizards will continue to pop-up, even if there may never be one as bad as Voldemort (and a group as organized as his Death Eaters). But I doubt that Harry would have gone on to become one since he wants the Elder Wand to die with him - and he has to stay out of duals (or situations where he could be "defeated") for that to happen. I assume none of them are teachers, although that sounds like a good career path for Harry.
Spoiler
Actually, not only did Harry become an Auror, he became head of the department, according to this interview with JK Rowling.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Spoiler
I'm wondering what happened to Hermione's family. Also to Umbridge. I didn't see those threads tied up.
Spoiler
Hermione said, when she was telling Harry about what she did to get her parents to move to Australia, that if she came out of this alive, she was going to undue the memory modification charms on her parents and bring them back. Or something like that. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:wave:

Welcome, Ms. Mary!!
Last edited by Menolly on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Menolly wrote:Ack!!

*shielding eyes*

I started reading that! dlb, I have to spoiler the quote!! I am sorry to edit your post!
Sorry! :oops:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

It's OK. You accidently left off the open spoiler tag. It happens.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

As I've been telling people, "Even if I tell you what happened, it won't tell you what happened." In most cases, of course. But her lead-up to each revelation gives it a color we probably wouldn't have expected.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Spoiler
It seemed to me at the time that a lot of pages were piddled away on H,R and H camping around the English countryside, or chillin at the Black crib. All in all I enjoyed it, but I feel empty now that it is over.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*wiping tears away*

Just now finished. Literally.

Hyperception wants dinner though. I'll be back later to read through the thread, reading all of the spoilers...

...and then it's back to journeying to the Tower...
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Finally the mod can participate! :D
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Spoiler
The only thing that set off my "hey that's kinda dumb" alarm in this book was Ron's Mom coming out of nowhere and took down that Bela woman at the end (no idea on spelling of her name sorry, the really bad chick).
Spoiler
Molly Weasley against Bellatrix? I think I said it earlier in this thread, but it may have been in others, that from CoS and the introduction of Mrs. Weasley's family clock I have always seen her as one of the most power witches, if not in the series than at least in the entire Weasley family. Am I imagining at some point mention was made of Mrs. Weasley being from a very powerful family? Wasn't she on Sirius' family tree tapestry somewhere?

Also, who was the first here to suggest Harry being a Horcrux? I know I believed that very early on, and have espoused it here, but I don't recall if I initially suggested it first here.

But I must give kudos to Guns on the Snape/Lilly thing. You had that pegged forever.

I must admit sadness that the phoenix patronus thing foreshadowing something never played out. But, you win some, you lose some.
stormrider wrote: Overall, the book was fabulous. Can't wait to get to the beach so I can read it again. Then, at the first available opportunity, I'm going to go back and reread the entire series. I think it will be interesting to see how all the things I know now will influence my perception of various events and characters.
Plan on joining us for the dissections of the entire series then.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wow...

The book is out a week, and the thread is slowing down already? Does this mean it's time to really start planning the dissections? Or shall we give it another week at least?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I just finished today, loved it.

What are the spoiler rules? Still "tag" everything like major reveals and deaths?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm ready to start the dissections. I've been ready. :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The book's only been out a week. I would tag any plot detail for now.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sindatur wrote:I just finished today, loved it.

What are the spoiler rules? Still "tag" everything like major reveals and deaths?
I'm interested in your thoughts on DH, Sin.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I'm ready to start the dissections. I've been ready. :P
Yawn! are we there yet?
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
I was really taken aback by just how dark the thing was from just about the very first page. I did get a sadistic giggle out of Voldemort at the end of Chapter 1, after the AK when he called out to Nagini "Dinner", although thank goodness that wasn't someone we had actually met

Then in the second chapter, Harry's thinking about Cedric, and Sirius, and finally Dumbledore. Then Rita Skeeter starts trashing on Dumbledore's name, it was really quite dramatic. Then of course the escape, my throat kinda swelled up when Dudley thanked Harry for saving his life, and seemed like he would rather be under Harry's protection with anyone else. And of course during the escape when Hedwig died, shattered me, and the intensity of waiting for all the Order members to arrive back at the Burrow, until finally Moody was known to be dead. That was about all I could handle on the Saturday when the book showed up. I don't read super fast, but, even if I was capable of reading fast enough to rip through the book in 5 hours, I still wouldn't have been able to continue after that. I kept saying to myself "You should just Hedwig fly ahead, and catch up with you", poor thing was so angry with him for keeping her locked up, and she died with Harry knowing that. When she got hit, I found myself yelling at Harry "Why didn't you lsiten to me")

The following day I went and saw Order of The Phoenix movie, and elt me tell you, seeing Hedwig and then Moody rally the troops at Privet Drive, just about had me bawlilng. I was OK after that, until Dobby got it, and that just ripped my heart out. At this point, I was sure she was gonna take McG and one of the six kids from me too, and thought, "Gosh, having Harry die, just might be the nicest thing JKR could do for him at that point. I've actually expected since GoF that in the end Dobby would be leading the House Elves into the fight, at the last possible moment, when they were needed the most, and I knew that was no longer gonna happen, and that really hurt. So, it really warmed my heart when Kreacher did show up, leading them (in the place I thought Dobby would be)

Did I miss a couple pages and miss Tonks and Lupin being killed? Last thing I knew, Tonks and Ginny left the RoR and Tonks went to go find Remus, then all of a sudden JKR was talking about their bodies laying there amongst the dead?

I liked the resolution, but, I'm confused about the Veil. A JKR spoiler after OotP came out said the Veil would be back, or she wasn't finished with it something of that sort. I have been expecting since finding about the Horcruxes that, that would be the way Harry would kill Voldemort if he was indeed a Horcrux, since he would have to kill both himself and V at the same time. I wonder if maybe the "death room" where Harry was having his final conversation with Dumbledore, was supposed to be "beyond the Veil" and she just didn't write it clearly? I also expected the Chamber of Secrets to have more secrets, like the hidden Diadem, but, I thought it was genius that she had planted it so slyly in the RoR where Harry hid the Potions book.

I enojyed the sickly sweet epilogue, I thought it was a very good high for her to end the book after the heaviness of the emotional roller coaster, but, I was a little disappointed we didn't find out more, such as what everyone else was doing for a living, and Luna's not mentioned at all in the epilogue, it would've been nice to see her being some kind of accredited "Mystery critter" researcher, or maybe following in her mom;s footsteps in the DoM as a lead spell inventor or something. Would've been nice to see McG promoted to Head Mistress, or to find out if the DADA position had finally lost it's curse.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:goodpost:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

With Curses, you generally must look at two things: Who cast them, and the circumstances under which they were cast. Of course, I'm not talking about HP magic, but, still, it seems to me that maybe the curse would not have lifted when Voldemort died; it would have to be lifted seperately.
Spoiler
B&

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”