Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Doesn't SRD dislike Russell Crowe? I seem to remember him being scathing about him.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Russell Crowe? Vin Diesel? As Angus? Sure, they're fine actors and (I think) have the chops to do it, but neither of these, just by the name in the credits, are going to convince audiences that Angus is not redeemable from the start.

Which is the point. Angus is irredeemable. It just doesn't matter how many good things he does as welded Angus, he's not a hero. I would prefer an actor that some writer or director would not be tempted to twist the Gap into a romantic ending.

Btw, my casting preference is Michael Chiklis, but there's more on that in the "Cast Angus" thread.
ItisWritten
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I can see where you're coming from with that; casting an actor who's known for playing leads (particularl Diesel, since he played the (badly) redeemed Riddick) will indicate redemption of Angus. Interesting point.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

ItisWritten wrote:Russell Crowe? Vin Diesel? As Angus? Sure, they're fine actors and (I think) have the chops to do it, but neither of these, just by the name in the credits, are going to convince audiences that Angus is not redeemable from the start.

Which is the point. Angus is irredeemable. It just doesn't matter how many good things he does as welded Angus, he's not a hero. I would prefer an actor that some writer or director would not be tempted to twist the Gap into a romantic ending.

Btw, my casting preference is Michael Chiklis, but there's more on that in the "Cast Angus" thread.
Excellent post!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. Angus has to appear irredeemable, and a big name won't allow that.

--A
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Uh, I can think of a few unredeemable 'big' names, for one reason or another...

Peter Stormare (was a creepy/fun Satan in Constantine)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (good enough that you will believe that he is unredeemable)
Vincent Cassel (quite good at being evil)
Tom Cruise (quite evil at being good)

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Uh, I can think of a few unredeemable 'big' names, for one reason or another...

Peter Stormare (was a creepy/fun Satan in Constantine)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (good enough that you will believe that he is unredeemable)
Vincent Cassel (quite good at being evil)
Tom Cruise (quite evil at being good)

dw
Uh, right. I was cautioning against a big name "good guy", not so much the big name heavies. Hoffman could do the evil, but I'm not so sure about the bad-ass part.

I object to Cruise . . . mostly because any movie he's in becomes his movie. I'm trying to think of a movie, any movie, in which Cruise played second banana (even opposite Nicholson), and I can't. Plus, he's too short to play Nick, and too pretty to play Angus.
ItisWritten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm with you, it's not fair to the movie to let Cruise get his hands on it.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dragonlily wrote:I'm with you, it's not fair to the movie to let Cruise get his hands on it.
I don't get why he would damage the movie. He has done some amazing work, and I am sure he'd make a great Succorso.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I have officially banned Tom Cruise a while back so if he's in the movie I am self forbidden to see it. So please please please NO Tom Cruise.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I have officially banned Tom Cruise a while back so if he's in the movie I am self forbidden to see it. So please please please NO Tom Cruise.
Why? Because of his acting ability or because of his personal life? I'm not saying you cant express your opinion, but I am just curious. He's done some excellent work.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

So uhh...IS there any news on this thing?
Or has it gone the way of the Covenant Movie?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Lore you've got my support. I re-read Dark and Hung with Tom Cruise in my head, and it's perfect. That doesn't make me a Tom Cruise fan though. In general I think the annoying little twit should be ejected from the life pod.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

drew wrote:So uhh...IS there any news on this thing?
Or has it gone the way of the Covenant Movie?
Last time I checked (which was weeks ago) there's no hope of the project moving forward as long as the writers are on strike.

So it's not dead, but it's not moving either. Kinda like my liver.

Of course, the most reasonable fix for that is for us to co-operatively write the screenplay.

I got dibs on all of Norma's scenes.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You know, with Magnolia in mind, I think Cruise could pull it off as Nick.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Cruise has managed to make himself a marketable name, but looking at his filmography, I'm not seeing anything since 1988's Rain Man that I can honestly say that he acted well in.

I'd be far less likely to see it if he was in it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cruise can act when he puts his mind to it, but everything he's in ends up being a Cruise vehicle, which I think is the point ItIsWritten was trying to make. The first thing anyone sees when faced with a film featuring Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. The Gap is too much an ensemble piece to accomodate him.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

CovenantJr wrote:Cruise can act when he puts his mind to it, but everything he's in ends up being a Cruise vehicle, which I think is the point ItIsWritten was trying to make. The first thing anyone sees when faced with a film featuring Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. The Gap is too much an ensemble piece to accomodate him.
I agree.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I picked Cruise for Nick a while back, and I haven't changed my mind.

I understand the comments about Cruise Vehicles. Perhaps what he needs is to be in a movie which isn't one! And this could be it, since there are so many other strong roles. He's only sinking himself by directing and producing his own movies.

Jamie Foxx did pretty well against Cruise in Collateral, I thought. It launched his career, in fact. So I think it's doable. (It'll never happen, but it's doable.)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cruise as Nick? Lacks the inherent sleaze. He wouldn't do it.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage

Return to “The Gap Series”