Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

CovenantJr wrote:
wayfriend wrote:And the ability to be annoying is what makes him a good choice for Nick. :)
Tom Cruise as Linden anyone?
eloquently stated wayfriend .. lol

and lol .. cov jr

Nick is s'posed to be smooth .. what about paul walker????? ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

So the Hollywood are are back to work...
has there been any new news?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
pondhopper
Servant of the Land

Post by pondhopper »

deleted- double post; edited one remains

oopsy
Last edited by pondhopper on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah, no! You can't kill what was in that man!"- Last line of "The Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts

Formerly, ManInTheMiddle
pondhopper
Servant of the Land

Post by pondhopper »

Wow, this is all news to me.

Personally, I think Cruise would have just the right "teeth" for pulling off the role of Nick.

(heh)
"Ah, no! You can't kill what was in that man!"- Last line of "The Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts

Formerly, ManInTheMiddle
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I think a few big scrathes on Cruise's face would make him look better, I still say Mickey Rourke for Angus-but he's getting older and funkier looking by the minute.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

pondhopper wrote:Wow, this is all news to me.

Personally, I think Cruise would have just the right "teeth" for pulling off the role of Nick.

(heh)
I absolutely agree.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

Cruise would ruin the dynamics of the movie just being in it. His image is too big for a movie that requires judicious screen time on so many characters. Somebody mentioned the idea of a bunch of no-names...I like that too. Would also lend credibility to its presumably hard-science direction. I guess there's no reason to assume that though huh?
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I disagree .. I think Cruise as Nick would work for two reasons ... 1) Cruise is always better when he plays a charming guy will loose/weak morals ... and 2) it would be like ALien or Psycho where you are not expecting the supposed 'main' actor to get killed in a shocking manner. By their presence alone you almost automatically think they will somehow survive...

:)
:2c:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm reminded of Steven Segal's role in Executive Decision. He has a total of 5 minutes of screen time before he buys it (and he was still a bankable star at that point). Totally shocking and very effective.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Cail wrote:I'm reminded of Steven Segal's role in Executive Decision. He has a total of 5 minutes of screen time before he buys it (and he was still a bankable star at that point). Totally shocking and very effective.
And utterly relieving ;) I cheered myself hoarse!
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

Usivius wrote:I disagree .. I think Cruise as Nick would work for two reasons ... 1) Cruise is always better when he plays a charming guy will loose/weak morals ... and 2) it would be like ALien or Psycho where you are not expecting the supposed 'main' actor to get killed in a shocking manner. By their presence alone you almost automatically think they will somehow survive...

Fair enough I guess, but I hate Cruise. He has little man complex. 5'7" and you can never tell on camera by the way they shoot it. He seems to be addicted to doing movies where he is the hero with all the moves, the fighting skills and etc - little man disease.

Don't take my post too seriously here...I'm a short dude too, and we know when of our own is overcompensating.
:wink:
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

In the book Nick (to me) is slick, charming, good looking, but radiates lethality, a subtle danger. I can't see that in Cruise.

I enjoyed his acting in Minority Report, but I am not sure it was because of him or the story - somebody else could've worked equally well in the role.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(except for Keanu :wink: )
Keev Furaha
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Keev Furaha »

I can't stand Tom Cruise and if he's cast as anything in the movie, I'm sorry but I won't watch it and that would be a shame.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Danlo wrote:(except for Keanu )
What??? Keanu is like totally rad, man!
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

ParanoiA wrote:
Usivius wrote:I disagree .. I think Cruise as Nick would work for two reasons ... 1) Cruise is always better when he plays a charming guy will loose/weak morals ... and 2) it would be like ALien or Psycho where you are not expecting the supposed 'main' actor to get killed in a shocking manner. By their presence alone you almost automatically think they will somehow survive...

Fair enough I guess, but I hate Cruise. He has little man complex. 5'7" and you can never tell on camera by the way they shoot it. He seems to be addicted to doing movies where he is the hero with all the moves, the fighting skills and etc - little man disease.

Don't take my post too seriously here...I'm a short dude too, and we know when of our own is overcompensating.

:lol: ... fair enough...

But I disagree with Cruise not being able to emote a lethal quality on film... (i'm not a fan of the 'man' either ... can't stand him as a real person, but his on screen presence cannot be denied) ... check him out in Collateral ... very effectinve in that.
And imagine seeing a Tom Cruise character who starts off all charming and schmarmy and "I am the best", then slowly degrades and becomes a pathetic character before he dies ... that would be something to see on screen and TOALLY effective ...
but knowing how Tom Cruise picks roles (as observed by Paranoia) I doubt if he would take such a role (unless he got many rewrites to make him actually heroic in the end .. grrrr...)

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

ParanoiA wrote:

:lol: ... fair enough...

But I disagree with Cruise not being able to emote a lethal quality on film... (i'm not a fan of the 'man' either ... can't stand him as a real person, but his on screen presence cannot be denied) ... check him out in Collateral ... very effectinve in that.
And imagine seeing a Tom Cruise character who starts off all charming and schmarmy and "I am the best", then slowly degrades and becomes a pathetic character before he dies ... that would be something to see on screen and TOALLY effective ...
but knowing how Tom Cruise picks roles (as observed by Paranoia) I doubt if he would take such a role (unless he got many rewrites to make him actually heroic in the end .. grrrr...)

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Usivius wrote:But I disagree with Cruise not being able to emote a lethal quality on film... (i'm not a fan of the 'man' either ... can't stand him as a real person, but his on screen presence cannot be denied) ... check him out in Collateral ... very effectinve in that.

Which is my main concern. Secondary is the effect of adding the name Cruise to any movie. War of the Worlds was noteworthy in that Cruise's face was not on the promos. It took a director of Spielberg's status to accomplish that. Then comes the DVD release and Tom's on the cover.

His ability to be Nick is not the issue (I almost like the idea of him taking a part that gets killed unexpectedly). Can he take a role that won't keep him center stage? Almost as important, can the studio/producer/director who casts him avoid the temptation that Cruise's popularity brings?

A solution to that is beginning the last Gap movie with the massif 5 escape. Nick dies, and Cruise's audience has already paid for their ticket.
ItisWritten
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

ItisWritten wrote:Then comes the DVD release and Tom's on the cover.
Which, I might add, was not the reality for most countries.
ItisWritten wrote:Can he take a role that won't keep him center stage? Almost as important, can the studio/producer/director who casts him avoid the temptation that Cruise's popularity brings?
It's as though you think it's Cruise's fault. He can't help it if marketing operates that way, but he's been in some movies recenty, such as Collateral, where it's not a 'Cruise-movie'. If the director and producer can manage to bring us a convincing Nick, then all this debating about Cruise is really futile.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Could it be?!?!
Aint It Cool News wrote:Tom Cruise Hires MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II Writer Ronald D. Moore For Big-Screen UA Sci-Fi Trilogy!!

Nobody knows what this big-screen trilogy is about.

... Read all of Variety’s story on the matter here.

Return to “The Gap Series”