Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

Post by Stutty »

Just before leaving for my Mediterranian Cruise Vacation (pauses to let gloat sit in) I shot an e-mail off to the people who purchased the production rights to the Gap (can't even remember who they are at this point, as I'm still tired from the cruise... I did mention a cruise vacation didn't it?) :biggrin:

At any rate, they are want us, "the rabid Gap fans" (my words) to come up with some questions to ask them; the answers to which, we can post here.

Sound cool?

I figure I'd give this thread about a week, and then ship off what we've got.

did I mention the cruise?

stutt
==========

The list so far:

How do you intend to treat the rape/abuse scenes in "The Real Story" (RS), and why?

Is the plan to include the events of "The Real Story" in "Forbidden Knowledge", and if so, how?

How far is it going to go? More movies for the rest of the books?

I know you've worked with David Mamet recently on "Edmond." Has he signed on to "Forbidden Knowledge" and if so in what capacity?

What is the desired/possible format/distribution(s): movie, miniseries, series, direct-to-dvd, webisodes?

What examples, theirs or others, could they point to to demonstrate the type of adaptation they would like to achieve?

To what degree will special effects and CGI would be used? Are they leaning towards CGI extravaganza, or minimal special effects, or something else?

How does the funding to proposed budget ratio look right now? If closer to 0 than 1, how are you "pitching" the project?
Last edited by Stutty on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Tremendous! Awesome! Spectacular work!

What to ask, what to ask ....

I think I speak for everyone when I say the most important question will be, How do you intend to treat the rape/abuse scenes in RS, and why? The answer to that pretty much sets the parameters of the whole movie.

Speaking of which, the next question will be, is the plan to include the events of RS in FK, and if so, how?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, I'd make the second question the first, and the first second, but otherwise I think those are the most important. (Oh, and how far after is it going to go? More movies for the rest of the books? What?)

--A
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Yay! Thread traffic!

As noted I plan on editing the first page with the updated list I intend to send off.

More good news. The person I'm in e-mail contact with is actually Googleable! Though not someone I expect really anyone to recognize. I'm not going to release her name just yet as I'm not sure how confidential all this stuff is.

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Also good to know:

What is the desired/possible format/distribution(s): movie, miniseries, series, direct-to-dvd, webisodes?

What examples, theirs or others, could they point to to demonstrate the type of adaptation they would like to achieve?

To what degree will special effects and CGI would be used? Are they leaning towards CGI extravaganza, or minimal special effects, or something else?
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Are we going to get full frontal of Angus?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Taran Wanderer
Servant of the Land

Post by Taran Wanderer »

Tricia van Klaveren is an independent producer based in the Los Angeles area.
Her company, Fully Loaded Pictures, focuses on provocative sci-fi and metaphysical stories.

Email: fullyloadedpictures@gmail.com
web: www.fullyloaded.tv
Contacts: Tricia van Klaveren, managing member

Types of business: Film financing and executive producer services

Types of finance: Arranging production financing, equity, pre-sales, subsidies and bridge financing

Types of projects sought: Projects suitable for A-level talent and established directors with budgets from $10 million to $30 million

Advice: Dare to dream.

Produced : David Mamet’s Edmond (William Macy, Mena Suvari, Joe Man-
tegna), The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things (John Robinson, Michael Pitt, Marilyn Manson, Peter Fonda, Winona Ryder), I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead (Clive Owen, Charlotte Rampling, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers), Lying (Jenna Malone, Chloe Sevigny), and The Fairy Tale (directed by Billy Clift).

Previous Production Company:

Mosaic Film Group
21355 Pacific Coast Highway, Ste. 101
Malibu, CA 90265
Phone: (310) 456-1707
Fax: (310) 456-1704
Peven
Giantfriend

Post by Peven »

how about, "If the Gap books are able to be successfully adapted, meaning they turn a profit, would that in any way lead to the pursuit of adapting the TC Chronicles as well?"
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Dude...how did I miss this topic???-jay
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You were busy with your sex-change operation? :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You were re-reading Runes?
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

Who would be considered for the cast?
Major star power may be costly,
and casting unknown actors wouldn't draw the public as much.
Maybe a few of the main characters could be well-known stars and some up-coming actors/actresses could play crew members.
Nowadays, it seems that special effects is the main draw for audiences.
(I think Elfgirl has her pick on who would be cast as Nick. ;) )
I volunteer myself to be cast as an extra in Mallory's.
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Just so you know. No response from the producer as of yet.

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm stickying this thread as an announcement.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

FYI. I sent the questions above off to the producer about a week and half ago. I thought I had posted that fact, but it seems I did not.

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Huge update.

The producer acknowledged that the questions were received!

:D

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Producers Respond!

Post by Stutty »

Someone tell me to stop getting my hopes up so high....
but this is ultimately cool.

============
How do you intend to treat the rape/abuse scenes in "The Real Story" (RS), and why?

I INTEND TO START THE FILM AT THE END OF THE REAL STORY WHEN ANGUS AND MORN INTERSECT WITH NICK, THE SET-UP OF ANGUS, AND CONTINUE WITH THE STORY AS TOLD IN FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE. THE RAPE SCENES WILL ONLY BE SHOWN IN MINIMAL FLASHBACKS AS MORN'S MEMORIES. WHY? I DON'T FEEL THE RAPE SCENES ARE INTRINSIC TO THE LARGER STORY. AND THE REAL STORY IS A MORE INTIMATE PSYCHOLOGICAL PIECE THAT IS BETTER TOLD CINEMATICALLY AS A PREQUEL.

============
Is the plan to include the events of "The Real Story" in "Forbidden Knowledge", and if so, how?

ONLY THE PARTS OF THE REAL STORY THAT ARE THE SET-UP, LARGELY THE BAR SCENE WHERE ANGUS IS WITH MORN AND MORN FIRST SEES NICK. THE REAL STORY IS LARGELY PROLOGUE AND MAY BE A PREQUEL FILM TO THE GAP SERIES AT SOME POINT.

============
How far is it going to go? More movies for the rest of the books?

I AM INTENDING AT LEAST THREE POSSIBLY FIVE FILMS. I HAVE NOT BROKEN IT DOWN IT IT'S ENTIRETY AS THAT WILL BE A DISCUSSION WITH THE SCREENWRITER(S) AND DIRECTOR(S) AND ANY PARTICULAR FILM MAY DRAW ON MORE THAN ONE BOOK.

============
I know you've worked with David Mamet recently on "Edmond." Has he signed on to "Forbidden Knowledge" and if so in what capacity?

I DON'T SEE DAVID MAMET DOING THE GAP SERIES, ALTHOUGH THE PROTAGNIST OF EDMOND IS NOT UNLIKE ANGUS, JUST VASTLY MORE ARTICULATE.

============

FIRST THEATRICAL FEATURE FILM, THEN VIDEO-GAME AND EVENTUALLY TV MINISERIES. THE FILMS WILL FOCUS LARGELY ON THE VIEWPOINTS OF MORN, ANGUS AND NICK. THE TV MINISERIES WOULD CONTAIN ALL THE VIEWPOINTS.

============

GODFATHER, BLADE RUNNER, THE BOURNE SERIES, SPIDERMAN.

============

THE ACTUAL SPACE SCENES AND SPACE BATTLES, CGI EXTRAVAGANZA. THINK BOURNE ULTIMATUM IN SPACE. THE INTERIORS, MINIMAL SPECIAL EFFECTS, MORE THE FEEL OF BLADE RUNNER. AT THIS EXACT MOMENT, PAUL GREENGRASS FIRST CHOICE AS DIRECTOR. TELL ME WHO YOU SEE DIRECTING.

============
How does the funding to proposed budget ratio look right now? If closer to 0 than 1, how are you "pitching" the project?

RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO PRODUCTION FUNDING COMMITTED, THAT COMES LATER. FIRST STEP IS GETTING THE DIRECTOR AND SCREENWRITER ON BOARD. ONCE THOSE TWO ELEMENTS ARE IN PLACE, FUNDING WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM. HOLLYWOOD IS HUNGRY FOR FRANCHISE FILMS AND SCI-FI IS POPULAR. ALSO, THERE ARE SEVERAL BIG INDEPEDENT EQUITY FUNDS LOOKING FOR LARGER FILMS. THE ROLES ARE GREAT FOR ACTORS AND WILL ATTRACT TOP TALENT. WHAT ARE YOUR IDEAS FOR THE LEAD ROLES OF ANGUS, MORN AND NICK? THE PITCH, BOURNE ULTIMATUM IN SPACE. OR BLADE RUNNER MEETS BOURNE IDENTITY.

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Wow.

This totaly makes up for Rama being canceled.

WOO HOO! :banana:
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I'm getting chills just reading this...

:letsparty:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Psyched.

But ... lets look at these responses seriously.
THE RAPE SCENES WILL ONLY BE SHOWN IN MINIMAL FLASHBACKS AS MORN'S MEMORIES. WHY? I DON'T FEEL THE RAPE SCENES ARE INTRINSIC TO THE LARGER STORY.
That's ... that's ... that's a very bad sign. Morn's feelings towards Angus, and Angus's towards Morn, all flow from the brutality and the mercilessness of the events in the R.S. Leaving that out breaks the story (that part anyway), well ... brutally and mercilessly.

And there are other critical events in RS: Morn crashing her ship due to GAP sickness, for starters. We HAVE to know about that, too. Revealing that as a detail in the subsequent story will only make it seem like a cheap plot device. Too much hangs on the Gap Sickness.

I'm very dissatisfied and disappointed with this answer.
GODFATHER, BLADE RUNNER, THE BOURNE SERIES, SPIDERMAN.
What the heck kind of answer is that. What "type of adaptation" is common to these movies? I think this answer just means "its the super awesome blockbuster" type of adaptation. Lame. Lame bragging.

Edit: oh... good job, stutty!!!

Return to “The Gap Series”