Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cruise as Nick? Lacks the inherent sleaze. He wouldn't do it.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Mission Impossible was supposed to be an ensemble movie, but with Cruise on board, the ensemble was killed off.

I don't know what the dynamics were when MI's script was written and cast, but we can see how it turned out. I still say no to Cruise.
ItisWritten
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:Cruise can act when he puts his mind to it, but everything he's in ends up being a Cruise vehicle, which I think is the point ItIsWritten was trying to make. The first thing anyone sees when faced with a film featuring Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. The Gap is too much an ensemble piece to accomodate him.
I don't mean to be rude, but that's the case for most actors anyway. Almost ever actor suggestion for Gap characters in this forum are the type where one will say, "oh it's X playing Y". You can't escape recognising actors, Cruise or not. :)

Anyway, I managed to enjoy War of the Worlds, the Last Samurai, etc without dwelling on who played what or that Cruise was it it. It's called suspense of disbelief. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Keev Furaha
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Keev Furaha »

Tom Cruise annoys me. And he's very weird. :?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Keev Furaha wrote:Tom Cruise annoys me. And he's very weird. :?
Weird's got nothing to do with acting ability. ;) :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

And the ability to be annoying is what makes him a good choice for Nick. :)
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Stutty wrote:I re-read Dark and Hung with Tom Cruise in my head
I have a feeling we'll have to move this to the double entendre thread!!! :P
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Prebe wrote:
Stutty wrote:I re-read Dark and Hung with Tom Cruise in my head
I have a feeling we'll have to move this to the double entendre thread!!! :P
:haha:
And the ability to be annoying is what makes him a good choice for Nick.
:lol:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

wayfriend wrote:And the ability to be annoying is what makes him a good choice for Nick. :)
Tom Cruise as Linden anyone?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, both Nick and Linden are supposed to be attractive and well, Tom Cruise is icky. Questionable sanity is very unattractive.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
TIC TAC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TIC TAC »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Well, both Nick and Linden are supposed to be attractive and well, Tom Cruise is icky. Questionable sanity is very unattractive.
Not an advocate of getting Cruise involved but Questionable sanity seems like a pretty good description or aspect of Nick's character. So does the term "Icky" properly describe both the real and fictional individuals. :-)
THOOLAH - Nuff said.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Nick's sanity may have been questionable, but it couldn't appear questionable or his crew wouldn't have followed him as long as they did. He held them by charisma and force of character.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Look. I say just no Tom Cruise in any SRD based movie ever. I won't allow it. It would be way too horrible for me. So just no. :evil:

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Look. I say just no Tom Cruise in any SRD based movie ever. I won't allow it. It would be way too horrible for me. So just no. :evil:
Now that's a reason I can agree with. :lol:
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, it's a good enough reason for me! :P

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

here, here cammy J!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

CovJr wrote
Nick's sanity may have been questionable, but it couldn't appear questionable or his crew wouldn't have followed him as long as they did. He held them by charisma and force of character.
I'd agree within certain limits. Nick couldn't appear completely off his rocker from the start, or his crew wouldn't follow him. But charisma and sanity aren't mutually exclusive. It's perfectly possible to have an insane character be nevertheless attractive and comand a following, especially if said sanity is lost slowly.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Look. I say just no Tom Cruise in any SRD based movie ever. I won't allow it. It would be way too horrible for me. So just no. :evil:
It's a moot issue anyway. Cruise isn't going to take a role that isn't around for the final climax, and he can't be Angus.

What I'm really afraid of is that if he's cast as Nick, the director, producer, scriptwriter(s) will drag Nick's corpse to Earth just to take advantage of his box-office draw, if not his ego.
ItisWritten
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Mortice Root wrote:CovJr wrote
I'd agree within certain limits. Nick couldn't appear completely off his rocker from the start, or his crew wouldn't follow him. But charisma and sanity aren't mutually exclusive. It's perfectly possible to have an insane character be nevertheless attractive and comand a following, especially if said sanity is lost slowly.
I agree. On reflection, my previous post probably didn't make clear what I was trying to say. For the first couple of books, Nick was seen as a dashing, daring hero with a quick smile and a way with the ladies. A James Bond, if you will. He may have been insane at that point, but it wasn't evident. I don't think Nick actually got crazier, I think he just lost his grip on the facade.

But that's another topic...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:I agree. On reflection, my previous post probably didn't make clear what I was trying to say. For the first couple of books, Nick was seen as a dashing, daring hero with a quick smile and a way with the ladies. A James Bond, if you will. He may have been insane at that point, but it wasn't evident. I don't think Nick actually got crazier, I think he just lost his grip on the facade.
I think there was some insanity. Well, perhaps more towards the end of Chaos and Order.

Return to “The Gap Series”