Response from the Producers of Forbidden Knowledge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Actually, their responses are pretty much what I expected. They're in the planning stages, and of course they're gonna think big.

They are going to need more from TRS than they think (or at least what they seem to think). They'll need the Starmaster/Bright Beauty chase and crash. That's how Morn and Angus meet. They can gloss much of the ugliness, but the zone implant is key.

Cinematically, I can see how they could compress the chase/wreck into 5-10 minutes of flashback, but I worry about the rape/abuse stuff.

Still, it's early. The writer and director will tell us much.

Stutty, are they still accepting questions?
ItisWritten
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

I think she would answer more questions, but she seems really more interested in our opinions on casting Morn, Angus, and Nick as well as who should direct.

She specifically said to provide 'why' you picked someone, was it another role played for example....

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The other problem with not adapting the RS as more than a series of flashbacks is the placement and exploration of the ZONE IMPLANT, which other than the serial rape of Morn, is the most important aspect of Morn's pschological context. We HAVE to see the horror, tradgedy, and cold simplicity of Morn's victimization and calcualted (mis)use of the ZI.

Stutty...please share this with your contact.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

A Gunslinger wrote:The other problem with not adapting the RS as more than a series of flashbacks is the placement and exploration of the ZONE IMPLANT, which other than the serial rape of Morn, is the most important aspect of Morn's pschological context. We HAVE to see the horror, tradgedy, and cold simplicity of Morn's victimization and calcualted (mis)use of the ZI.

Stutty...please share this with your contact.
I agree. I know tat the whole movie hinges on the - excuse me but - prudish American average audience (or censors), but these things are crucial. Without them the story has no weight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Aye good sir I will, and I agree with you. But I want to caveat that I agree with the idea of glossing over RS. There are points that are absolutely critical to carrying the over-arching story, but on it's own, I think it was rubbish. TBH, I think SRD does as well.

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think you think it's rubbish only because you compare it to the rest of the cycle. Would it have remained solo, maybe as part of an anthology like The Daughter of Regals, it would be an interesting and powerful standalone story.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Completely disagree. I read it first before even knowing the rest of the books existed. The only good I got out of it was I thought the story-telling device of peeling back the onion was interesting. Had it not been for a kindly young clerk at Waldenbooks in Pt. Arthur, Texas, I would never have picked up Forbidden Knowledge.

Wouldn't it be cool is she was a forum member?

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I didn't think much of TRS either, other than as a device to set up the rest of the Gap cycle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

"I also agree with the board members who say it is absolutely critical that the rape/torment of Morn must be visceral. The Zone Implant and the rape(s) are the supporting pillars of Morn's character and the heroic changes she goes through. And Morn's character is part of the triad of role changes (victim->victimizer->hero) which Nick, Angus, and Morn go through. And quite simply, that is the point of the story."
-sent to Tricia

That strong enough for you Gunslinger?

stutt

:edit - removed a stray tag

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Angus -- Russell Crowe. Not because he's a box office draw, as the reason was when they tried to cast him for TC.

Because he can become the brutish Angus, and then the controlled Angus with a different soul looking out from his eyes. That is essential to making Angus work.

Also, he has that shocking, snakestrike violence. It will express Angus's reinforced strength as nothing else could.

If I remember correctly, she said (approximately) that she will handle the rape/violence scenes as flashbacks. That leave us with the obviously-necessary space sickness and zone implant events. Anyone who writes the sceenplay must see the necessity of including those.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dragonlily wrote:Angus -- Russell Crowe. Not because he's a box office draw, as the reason was when they tried to cast him for TC.

Because he can become the brutish Angus, and then the controlled Angus with a different soul looking out from his eyes. That is essential to making Angus work.

Also, he has that shocking, snakestrike violence. It will express Angus's reinforced strength as nothing else could.

If I remember correctly, she said (approximately) that she will handle the rape/violence scenes as flashbacks. That leave us with the obviously-necessary space sickness and zone implant events. Anyone who writes the sceenplay must see the necessity of including those.
Good post.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Crowe could only work if you could make him ugly.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Wayfriend wrote:Crowe could only work if you could make him ugly.
I would think that some prostetic add-ons would make him PLENTY ugly.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Make him wear glasses. THAT will make him ugly.
;)
dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I've seen him wearing glasses in The Informer and A Good Year. Where they weren't actually flattering, I just looked right past them.

:biggrin:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Stutty wrote:"I also agree with the board members who say it is absolutely critical that the rape/torment of Morn must be visceral. The Zone Implant and the rape(s) are the supporting pillars of Morn's character and the heroic changes she goes through. And Morn's character is part of the triad of role changes (victim->victimizer->hero) which Nick, Angus, and Morn go through. And quite simply, that is the point of the story."
-sent to Tricia

That strong enough for you Gunslinger?

stutt

:edit - removed a stray tag
YES! And thank you!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Please don't kill me now but I kinda like SRD's suggestion of Vin Diesel as Angus.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think he would be a good (second) choice. In my opinion Diesel has more talent than he has had a chance to show.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

But is he swarthy enough? :)
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

He's a heck of alot swarthier than Russell Crowe! :twisted:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “The Gap Series”