Stardust

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Stardust

Post by Wyldewode »

I saw the trailer for this movie when I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Again, I was simply enthralled!

The movie is based on Neil Gaiman's book of the same name. I love Gaiman, and am eager to see his latest movie.

The cast includes: Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, Sienna Miller, Charlie Cox, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, and Peter O’Toole.

And now, without further ado, the trailer.

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Can't wait. I'm a recent Gaiman convert. I haven't read this book yet, but I should. But maybe I'll wait until after the movie so I don't ruin the movie.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I got to see a promotional release of the film. Trying not to give anything away. It was an enjoyable film.

Michelle Pfeiffer does a great job as Lamia, the villainous witch. The accents put on by the Americans weren't too badly done - but I'm an American, so I can't really tell.

I am told that it isn't nearly as dark as the Gaiman book. It was pretty fairytale-ish, and they yucked up the successor-ghosts part a lot for humor.

DeNiro is very funny as the super-masculine airship pirate captain.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and recommend it for anyone who likes well-made light fantasy stories.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I don't remember the book being particularly dark. Not for Gaiman, anyway.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Stardust

Post by taraswizard »

So I did not even really know about this. But in June or May I went to Windy City Paper and Pulp and at the late night hospitality suite I got a chance for a longish chat with Stephen Jones, the editor and publicist, who was very enthused about the project and I became infected with his enthusiasm.

NOw through a friend of friend situation I've gotten about 35 or free preview passes a screening on July 31, and I'm occupied seeing these passes get into the hands of my local geeky firends. Very exciting.

ONe of my local geeky friends, through his g/f and she's geeky too and a member of Cinema Chicago a local film promotion group, went to a preview on Monday July 23, and he said the film is awesome.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Saw it last night. I haven't read the book, so I can't say how close it is. Mainly because I haven't read everything Gaiman has written yet, and my friend who has always referred to this as his least favorite book of his, even though he says he has greatly enjoyed every book from him. But I loved the movie.

It was pretty much everything you want in a movie: a great time. Yeah, it was predictable, and I guessed the ending within about 20 minutes of the start of the movie, but the journey was just wildly inventive and fun. Kinda like the Harry Potter books. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely held my interest throughout the entire thing.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Michelle Pfeiffer does a great job as Lamia, the villainous witch.
Interesting - I'm sure Gaiman's Neverwhere also featured a character called Lamia (though it's been a few years, so I could be wrong).

The trailer looked interesting enough to tempt me into a trip to the cinema.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Michelle Pfeiffer alone is worth the price of admission.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I really enjoyed the movie... and I have to admit that Claire Danes really fit the image of Yvaine I had in my mind when I read the book. Plus, admittedly, both Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro were great, of course.

The only major change from the book that I noticed was
Spoiler
At the end of the book, Tristan and Yvaine get married and rule Stormhold, but eventually he dies of old age and she, who is ageless like all stars, remains alone, unable to return to the sky because, once a star falls, she can never return to the heavens. All in all, the ending of the book was far more bittersweet.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

While I found the book to be quite charming, this is one of those rare occasions where I actually enjoyed the movie more. Robert DeNiro in drag!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Heh. . . I may have to read the book. But I thought the movie was pure fun. Like Duck, I <3 Deniro in drag!

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just watched this. Great film, lots of fun.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Never did get round to seeing this. It'll have to be a rental, a buy or a borrow.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Mine was a pirate DVD. ;)

(I don't go for piracy much myself, but if the DVD's there I'll watch it; if it's good I'll buy a real copy.)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I think this was probably the most enjoyable film I've seen in many, many years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

I must agree that this was a good film especially if your into fantasy stuff, watched in the cinema when it came out and Michelle P still looks stuning 8) Never got round to reading the books.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I got the hardbound graphic novel collection as a Christmas gift, and found it was quite different from the movie. I still like the movie, but find the novel makes more sense to me. :)

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Going to run it tonight, I enjoyed The Golden Compass so I'm pretty sure I'll dig this. Nicole and then Michelle? Life is rough! :twisted:
fall far and well Pilots!
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Don't overload yourself, Danlo! ;)

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I just saw this on DVD too. And I was really surprised how much I liked it! I had little expectation, so that helped Iguess, but the stroy was really good, nice humour, love-message, and acting. Except I did not find the lead actor up to the rest of the cast. He just seemed to be on the screen, not WITH the other actors. But he was OK nonetheless.
8 out of 10
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “Flicks”