Midnight Tides [spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

They are. :D I do tend to skim most of the Udinaas stuff these days. Not one of my favourite storylines, although when Silchas Ruin joins in, it gets better.

All of these books benefit from multiple reads. There's just too much going on at first to be able to make decent sense of it.

(These days, sometimes I will just pick a storyline and follow only that one through the books, skimming everything else. There's always references and tie-ins that I missed before.)

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Silchas Ruin - yes, had to google him first time round as I hadn't read the 1st two Karkanas books. Getting very confused about the parentage of Sheltatha Lore though, and Envy and Spite. This book seems to contradict Fall of Light, or the first one (can't remember what it was called - Forge of Darkness?). Being a family historian I like to get these things sorted out. And it's all very well being able to skip bits and go from book to book, but I'm on the kindle which makes that very difficult. I'm looking out for 2nd hand paperback versions but haven't found any yet.

Wonderful description of the brothel where Shurq was hanging out.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."

Post by Avatar »

The 1st 2 Kharkanas books weren't out back then anyway.

Can't remember for sure, but as I recall Envy and Spite were daughters of Draconis.

Lore and her sisters, (Dawn/Dapple/Dusk, can never remember which was which) weren't they Scabandari Bloodeye's daughters?

(Or whoever it was that stabbed Silchas Ruin in the back after the wars against the N'ruk, think it was him.)

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

They were out when I read MT for the first time a few months ago now. Not having the books in front of me I've now forgotten what I've recently read!! I do remember that Olar Ethil was named as the mother of Envy and Spite (not sure about Malice) in the Karkanus books, Draconus the father. They lived with him. Sheltatha Lore, in Fall of Light was the daughter of a female soldier, unless there were two Sheltathas, but MT gives one of the three ascendants as the mother I think, with Draconus as the father? Scabandari Bloodeye killed Silchas Ruin. The Edur called Scabandari Father Shadow. Two of the three girls were sisters, the other a cousin, Sheltatha (Dawn or Dapple?) I think was the cousin. Menandore raped Undinaas and gave birth to the young boy who was the only survivor of the Meckros city demolished by an iceberg. Wish I could remember all this without having to look it up. Will have to wait till I get the paperbacks and draw up a family tree.

Post by Avatar »

Since they were "deities" of the Edur, I think I just assumed they were Bloodyeye's get.

Would love to see some family trees for the world. :D

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Avatar wrote:Would love to see some family trees for the world. :D

--A
Ha ha! I shall have to make some notes during a complete re-read, and the trees would, I fear, be very short! It was only on the second read that I picked up Gothos as Icarium's father. No mother mentioned as far as I know, but it is a while now since I read Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light. I don't recall any mention of parents for Anomander and his two "brothers", "adopted" sons of Mother Dark. Perhaps the third book of the trilogy will reveal more.

There are some discrepancies too. Sandalath had a son (can't remember his name but he appears in Fall of Light a lot). In Gardens of the Moon he is mentioned when the Azath house appears in Darujhistan, as a "sister" of the Tiste Andii present!

Post by Avatar »

I know who you mean, can't remember his name either though.

With a world and cast that big, discrepancies are going to be inevitable I fear.

Still, I doubt any history is without them... :D

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”