Balon's Progressive Review and General Comments

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

balon!
Lord

Balon's Progressive Review and General Comments

Post by balon! »

Heh.

I finished CoS last night, took me till 4:00 too.

Am I alone when even though It's sad what happened to Lockheart, I'm secretly happy as hell? I HATE that character.

On another issue, I'm wondering what exactally Riddle was made up of? Because at the end when Dumbledore is talking to Harry, he says that his sources place LV in the Albanian forests. So I assume that he didn't just teleport or something. Which makes me think that the Riddle apperation wasn't really a "person" per se. More like a physical manifestation of the journal.

I would also like to hear more about Hagrid's time in Azkaban, that would suck.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Balon's Progressive Review and General Comments

Post by sindatur »

Balon wrote:Heh.

Am I alone when even though It's sad what happened to Lockheart, I'm secretly happy as hell? I HATE that character.

On another issue, I'm wondering what exactally Riddle was made up of? Because at the end when Dumbledore is talking to Harry, he says that his sources place LV in the Albanian forests. So I assume that he didn't just teleport or something. Which makes me think that the Riddle apperation wasn't really a "person" per se. More like a physical manifestation of the journal.

This really can't be answered safely in this thread, because of HBP and DH information to answer it, moving question to DH spoiler thread.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Balon wrote:Heh.

Yea, Lockhart definitely had it coming, JKR agrees with you, she too was very happy to do that to Lockhart

I had forgotten about Hagrid in Azkaban. It is a shame that the books up to this point were always from Harry's perspective, I remember many times during the series thinking "Gosh, if only we could see XXXX". I love to see someone's experience in Azkaban as they were actually going through it.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

sindatur wrote: I had forgotten about Hagrid in Azkaban. It is a shame that the books up to this point were always from Harry's perspective, I remember many times during the series thinking "Gosh, if only we could see XXXX". I love to see someone's experience in Azkaban as they were actually going through it.
Especially because the view completely changes when you haven't been sucked dry by a Demenetor AND your innocent. I would think they would stick him in a holding cell, or something.

But it would be really interesting to see a short booklett of some of the various events from other points of view, like Ginny when she was being possessed by the journal, Hagrid in Azkaban, I'd even like one from Filch!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Balon wrote:
sindatur wrote: I had forgotten about Hagrid in Azkaban. It is a shame that the books up to this point were always from Harry's perspective, I remember many times during the series thinking "Gosh, if only we could see XXXX". I love to see someone's experience in Azkaban as they were actually going through it.
Especially because the view completely changes when you haven't been sucked dry by a Demenetor AND your innocent. I would think they would stick him in a holding cell, or something.

But it would be really interesting to see a short booklett of some of the various events from other points of view, like Ginny when she was being possessed by the journal, Hagrid in Azkaban, I'd even like one from Filch!

I think a perspective from a Squib would be a really interesting point of view (either he or Arabella).

Yea, many scenes we have heard about "well this happened off camera" but didn't see could be really cool to actually see play out.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:biggrin:

Balon, this is so cool to read your experiences of rediscovering these books. Perhaps BGB will join in as he reads through them for the first time. And ITA with sindatur's response of moving potential spoiler information to a different thread, excellent move sindatur. This gives Balon and other newer readers the choice of spoiling it for themselves or not.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

As I go back through these books again, I become more and more disappointed with the movies. I mean there are some HUGE discrepancies between them and, honestly, I prefer the books. As usual, there is just so much more subtle information that can be passed in text that can NEVER make it through to the movies. And that's not even including the blatant changes made.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nod*

I think this is a sentiment those of us who love the books first make in each of the movie threads. But, I also agree with Jenn's sentiment in the OotP movie thread, comparing the movies to the books is fruitless. Each needs to be judged within it's own definition. Although based on the books, the movies can never go into the detail of the books and we need to accept that. With that in mind, I think the movies have all been done quite well, although I think of the movies PoA is my favorite so far. While I disagreed with the street dress used for the characters, I loved every other directorial aspect of that movie. Especially the use of the whomping willow to show the passage of the year.

Where are you now in the books? Are you senior, on par, or junior to Three of Seven?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly, I agree with you on the MUggle street clothes, but, JKR apparently sid she liked that aspect of PoA?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I don't remember.

If she did, is it possible it was said to generate good feelng for the movie when it was released?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:I don't remember.

If she did, is it possible it was said to generate good feelng for the movie when it was released?
The impression I got was that it was related to their aging, and not wanting to be in "wizard" clothing when outside of class? (But I could be ret-conning that explanation in my mind :D )
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

sindatur wrote:
Menolly wrote:I don't remember.

The impression I got was that it was related to their aging, and not wanting to be in "wizard" clothing when outside of class? (But I could be ret-conning that explanation in my mind :D )
I think it was more of that, because you have to think of the appeal of the younger audiences (and to the actors) to have something to relate to. I mean ok have to wear a uniform during classes/school but hey if it's free time then free dress. Likewise so that younger audiences (think same age as the characters) are all muggles and the idea of wearing robes like those seen by the adults in the ministry... geez how geeky can you get?

I picture them wearing street clothes while reading... particularly if they're not in Hogwarts and still (mentally) dress them in robes/school uniforms while they're in classes. The movies have helped that imagery of course but it makes sense to me.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Well I finished the series. Hmm....

More later, once I can gather my thoughts.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Dang you finished the entire series in the time it took me to read the last book. Congratulations
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

sindatur wrote:Dang you finished the entire series in the time it took me to read the last book. Congratulations
:LOLS: you sound JUST like my little brother. Heh.

Some general musings: I liked and disliked the fact that the writing became more mature and better as the books went on. I wouldnt've been able to finish the series if it stayed the same level as number one, but I would have prefered that they all were at the level of number seven. I guess I would like an adult HP, but I'll take what I can get.

I also liked that these characters were not the quintessential heroes. They each also had their downfalls and vices. It made it MUCH easier to believe.

Also, the fact that the magic in the books were very much a replacement for what Muggles use technology for. Such things like Floo Powder and Portkeys which is not surreal or ..errr..."magical" in the normal contexts. It's not very...Muggle-view "Wizardy" if you see what I mean.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Balon wrote:
sindatur wrote:Dang you finished the entire series in the time it took me to read the last book. Congratulations
:LOLS: you sound JUST like my little brother. Heh.
Pheh...at least sindatur and I stick with them, even if they do take us forever to finish.

Which is why my journey to the Tower is taking me forever, even though all of the books are availble to me, unlike those who took the journey as they came out.
Balon wrote:Some general musings: I liked and disliked the fact that the writing became more mature and better as the books went on. I wouldnt've been able to finish the series if it stayed the same level as number one, but I would have prefered that they all were at the level of number seven. I guess I would like an adult HP, but I'll take what I can get.
JKR has always stated in interviews that that was her intent in the books, to gear them in readership towards the ages of her characters. IIRC, she actually discouraged parents of younger readers whose children read PS/SS after later books came out to allow them to read the books dealing with the characters above the reader's age.
Balon wrote:I also liked that these characters were not the quintessential heroes. They each also had their downfalls and vices. It made it MUCH easier to believe.
*nodding*

It's part of what makes the series so enticing for me. Although I never suspected to read such details about Dumbledore...
Balon wrote:Also, the fact that the magic in the books were very much a replacement for what Muggles use technology for. Such things like Floo Powder and Portkeys which is not surreal or ..errr..."magical" in the normal contexts. It's not very...Muggle-view "Wizardy" if you see what I mean.
I do wonder why she did this though. I mean, even with the magical abilities, there are some things each Wizard or Witch are not good at, not to mention squibs. Why can't Muggle technology be used in the Wizarding world? Why must a squib who stays in the Wizarding world struggle, or why must they hide themselves within the Muggle world in order to take advantage of technology?

Obviously the Muggle abodes around Grimmauld Place had electricity, but did number 12? Or was it lit by sconces and spells? I don't ever remember the mention of television in the Wizarding world, yet how was live Quidditch matches followed?

The only mention of Muggle technology I recall off hand being mentioned in the Wizarding world is Colin Creevy's camera. And even that one was going to attempt developing it so the pictures moved. Other than Arthur Weasley's tinkering with Muggle artifacts and Sirius' motorcycle. But, those were still made into magical objects. Why was regular non-manipulated Muggle technology disdained?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I wouldn't think that it wasn't possible for the wizarding comunity to use technology, it was simply a cultural thing. It was below them. Plus it was a lot more effective to use magic. I mean, why drive when you can teleport?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Balon wrote:I wouldn't think that it wasn't possible for the wizarding comunity to use technology, it was simply a cultural thing. It was below them. Plus it was a lot more effective to use magic. I mean, why drive when you can teleport?
I'm assuming you mean Apparate?

Well, because apparently there are those in the magical world who never pass their apparating tests to earn their licens, and must resort to flu powder, if the destination they are going to has a hearth on the Flu Network. So, why disdain Muggle technology in those instances, instead of having to get a port key from the Ministry or some such?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

The biggest part of why Muggle Techonology isn't used is alot of it relies upon electricity, and electricity doesn't work in the magical world (I'm pretty sure I remember reading this)

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

sindatur wrote:The biggest part of why Muggle Techonology isn't used is alot of it relies upon electricity, and electricity doesn't work in the magical world (I'm pretty sure I remember reading this)
Yep. Magic use seems to disrupt electricly-based technology. Certain areas, like Hogworts, where magic has been heavily used for a long, long time, disrupts any technological item on the grounds.

I wonder if it's to do with screwing with the laws of probability?
B&

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”