Did I miss something?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Frank The Rabbit
Servant of the Land

Did I miss something?

Post by Frank The Rabbit »

I've read the series three times. Only on my third read through did I notice that apparantly the curious nature of Nick's "If you want her, you bastard, you can have her... Kazes are such fun, don't you think? - etc" message to Hashi was never resolved. At the time it seemed to be intruiging to Hashi as to how Nick knew about the kazes.

Did I miss an explanation or is there an obvious answer that I'm too thick to understand?

thanks!
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

No explanation was given in the books. Nick had no means of knowing about the kazes going off, but he knew that Hashi and UMCP were playing deadly games with the Amnion. Being the loose cannon, Nick wasn't above tossing feces in the air flow device. He apparently was trying to get a rise--and support--from Hashi.

The real purpose of the message was to give Hashi the motivation to send Free Lunch to destroy Trumpet. So, in a sense, it was merely a plot device. However, I can't take SRD too much to task; it worked.
ItisWritten
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Has this ever been asked in the GI?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm pretty sure it's explained in the book. I don't have a passage handy, but I am sure that Nick's thinking that leads to the message is well explained. For Nick, kaze was referring to genetic kazes that the Amnion might strive for -- IIRC. Something about delivering Morn to the Amnion led to this thought.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Wayfriend wrote:I'm pretty sure it's explained in the book. I don't have a passage handy, but I am sure that Nick's thinking that leads to the message is well explained. For Nick, kaze was referring to genetic kazes that the Amnion might strive for -- IIRC. Something about delivering Morn to the Amnion led to this thought.
I believe Nick has some comment about getting "their" attention when he sends the message, but his thinking is not spelled out (He's fairly wacked out by this point, anyway; SRD only uses his POV once in 4, at Beckman's lab). The nugget is easily missed, and every thing else surrounding Hashi's interpretation of it is implied as far as Nick's reasons.

There is something in the GI about it, and SRD's reply (if I remember correctly) followed his writing reasons for it.
ItisWritten
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can find three questions in the GI that refer to kaze's. None of them address Nick's reference to them.

I'll have to try and search the text at some point.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Hi everyone on the Gap side of the Watch. I've just finished reading all the Gap books back to back and have a number of thoughts/questions to pose, when I find time (if I don't get overtaken by AATE).

Nick's message to Hashi ("If you want her, you bastard, you can have her... Kazes are such fun, don't you think? - etc") was up there in my list of questions. I too don't recall it being explained in the text and indeed I've looked on the GI and couldn't find anything.

Thinking about it, however, it does make farily simple sense (I think). Nick has been given Morn as payment/insurance for his part in setting up Angus to enable the Preempt Act to pass. So he is naturally shocked to find that part of Angus' orders from UMCP involve rescuing Morn (I may be assuming that Nick has more knowledge of Angus' situation here than was the case however). If you want her, you can have her, therefore simply refers to Angus rescuing Morn.

The "kazes" aspect is simply that Nick must know that part of the reason for letting him have Morn was to keep her away from ComMine Security with the danger that she would reveal that Angus had been set up. Taking her back to Earth potentially involves the risk of her revealing that manipulation of the GCES to pass the Preempt Act. Nick isn't talking about genetic kazes at all - she is simply an informational Kaze. If she reveals what she knows then the edifice of the UMCP will blow up in their own face. But that of course is the whole basis of Warden's larger designs in giving Angus a new datacore.

Return to “The Gap Series”