Another Casting Thread (Angus)

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

My SO says that Gary Sinise would look the part if he put on a bit of weight; his face has that toady characteristics Angus is supposed to have and he is a fine actor, too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

ItisWritten wrote:Jack Black is an external actor. Everything he brings to a role shows in his face.
I thought that was called, "acting." :lol:

Is there such a thing as an "internal actor"? How would we know what they are portraying if they don't portray it externally?

While Black can be a bit exaggerated in his facial expressions, I think he toned it down quite a lot in King Kong. And I'm not sure Angus doesn't require an actor with exaggerated facial expressions, anyway. Next to Nick's mood-ring scar color changes (which I assume would have to be some CGI effect), Black's facial antics would seem understated in comparison. :)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Malik23 wrote:I thought that was called, "acting." :lol:

Is there such a thing as an "internal actor"? How would we know what they are portraying if they don't portray it externally?

While Black can be a bit exaggerated in his facial expressions, I think he toned it down quite a lot in King Kong. And I'm not sure Angus doesn't require an actor with exaggerated facial expressions, anyway. Next to Nick's mood-ring scar color changes (which I assume would have to be some CGI effect), Black's facial antics would seem understated in comparison. :)
Er, umm, right. I was trying to pin a description to something very subjective. :P :)

By internal, I don't mean hidden, but open to interpretation. External = read like a book.

Let's try it this way. Angus is an exaggerated character. If I were casting, I'd want a subdued performance.

Conversely, I'd want Nick played broadly, not quite over the top. Sure, he's in control, but he's also dangerous.
ItisWritten
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Hmm, jack black is one of those people who might ruin it for me; every so often an actor gets stuck in a particular role (in my head) and I can't deal with them in anything else. For instance, in the matrix I can't stop thinking of bill and ted, and in 300 seeing dominic west as a spartan made me crack up (though he did a fine job in the movie IMO). I don't think I can see Jack Black as a "mean guy" in a serious sense.

But I generally see where you're going with it, guess it makes some sense.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Rereading TRS for the upcoming dissection, I have to admit that there's no F-ing way that Jack Black could pull this off. Not unless he has some hidden depth that he's never shown us before.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That's why I keep saying Mickey Rourke, he can pound up-if he lays off the steriods. I thought about D'Onofrio again but he's too tall, and guys that big have a rough time shedding tonnage...
fall far and well Pilots!
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I wanna see Dustin Diamond take on the role of Angus.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

What about James Gandolfini. Think the sleezy 8mm guy not the Sopranos.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:I wanna see Dustin Diamond take on the role of Angus.
The rape scenes would draw my mind to that movie he made recently. (which I might have encountered *on accident* ;))
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I'm about a third of the way through Forbidden Knowledge and although it's "out of time" the more I read of Angus being beaten by the guards the more I picture Tuco (Eli Wallach) from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly telling the big Union sergent that was beating him, "If I ever get you down, you ain't ever gonna get up!"

Return to “The Gap Series”