IT HAS COME!

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

IT HAS COME!

Post by Holsety »

I typed this up and sent it to a friend of mine, but I figure you guys might enjoy it too. I am over analyzing for the sake of humor.

It's only a single tome, but as I place it cover side up on my bed, I can feel a great strain being taken off of my wrists - a strain of perhaps 10 pounds of paper, along with just a bit of binding glue; though it was bought used, the cover shows only a minuscule amount of wear - though it would never be mistaken as new, knowing the damage you (and others) tend to do by simply turning the pages, it looks like it's never been read - the shadowed visage of a man - not a human, yet clearly plagued with divers feelings common to human existence - sitting alone on a throne inlaid with more gold than his body, only accentuates the feeling of solitude the book gets across. Unlike a typical fantasy book cover, the image is (well, almost) gestalt, unable to be broken down - any sort of surrounding detail is absent, hardly a trait one can ascribe to Erikson's writings (indeed, without surrounding details Erikson might not be so much goddamn fun).

It measures 2 inches from front cover to back - within that space, some 900 pages are contained, in my opinion a fairly small amount. I've read dover thrift editions, only a few millimeters in length, which contain some 240 pages. Indeed, the pages are thick; it doesn't even strain my rather weak eyes to see the edges of the page if I hold them perpendicular(ish) to my face. The spine measures 8 inches, and from the binding to the opening-edge of the book, another 5 inches; in total, the book contains 1300 ccs of space - if it contained neurons, it'd contain about as much information as my brain, or yours (humans are around 1345 ccs IIRC). Well, considering me, and considering you, perhaps a good deal more, but suffice to say Erikson in single novels creates works roughly equivalent to the human brain in complexity (ok not really but still).

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”