Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

The most interesting characters

Post by Revan »

What characters are your favorite.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

morn hyland & koina hannish. they were both women in entirely different situations who had guts & strength & showed it in entirely different ways. morn did the impossible, while koina remained calm while the impossible happened all around her. her versus fane @ the GCES meetings r among my fave scenes.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I agree w/v-s but my fav is Min Donner!
fall far and well Pilots!
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have not really read the Gap series quite as thoroughly as I would like but I see a lot of the Bloodguard in Min Donner (devotion to duty, capacity for decisive action).
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'd say I probably had the most empathy with Mikka, and found myself rooting for her almost all the way through (i.e. after she helped Morn free Davies). The most interesting character, I thought, was Sorus Chatelaine. Her situation was quite unlike anything else I've come across before, SRD could have spent a lot less time and attention on Sorus withough really compromising the story any. The rich backstory and strong character he gave her are amongst the factors that lift The Gap above it's contemporaries.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

my fav was Milos Taverner 8O ;) lol
:roll:

I like Mikka too .. and Min Donner was good .. actually she was good ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sinister Giant Moose

Post by Sinister Giant Moose »

Funny - we never really got to know her that well, but Carmel really stood out for me. Maybe 'cos she was so level-headed and capable - a veritable rock upon which to lean when things got messy.

Norna Fasner roolz.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

the thing i notice bout the gap is the number of strong female characters. not saying that the land or mordant were devoid of strong women, i think that its more like an overabundance of strong female characters coupled with an underabundance of strong male characters. or it could just b bcoz the main female characters (morn, min, koina, mikka, liete, sorus) r all quite strong, while men like nick, fasner, igensard & fane were kinda shallow & pathetic. even most of the posts in this topis so far have mentioned female characters. (no offence intended against ur preferences sky).

sum sui generis

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I wouldn't have called Igensard shallow and pathetic, he was actually a fairly decent guy who, unfotunately was blinded by his own ambition. If Warden Dios had been presented to you the way he had been to Igensard, you'd try to bring him down too.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

i guess ur rite, after all its hard 2 like a character who is written 2 b unlikable.

sum sui generis

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I am probably marching against the mainstream, but my fav is Angus...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have to admit, I found Angus to be a very interesting character, too.

But I think I rooted the most for Morn and her son...
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

i generally hate characters who did bad stuff, but i didnt mind angus 2 much, prolly coz he was a victim as well. also, he was a v, v strong male character. he had motivations, & horrible little neuroses & all that, & that made him a little deeper than 'im a bastard coz its fun', or 'i wanna rule the world coz i fear death'.

sum sui generis

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I actually read the books in a funny order, so when I first met Angus he was still very much 'locked-in'. Which breeds a certain amount of sympathy, as I hadn't yet been exposed to the particulars of his previous encounter with Morn. On the whole I thought he was excellent, although his decision to stay with Dios at the end of TDAGD still doesn't sit comfortably with me. Maybe if it was Morn asking, but personally I think he would have taken Trumpet, just as he considered.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ofcourse one feels for Morn .. but i got tired of her internal dialogue .. it seemed excpetionally 'whiny' and understandably self-absorbed .. I liked Mikka cos she got on with business .. and Min for that same reason.

Angus became more acceptable .. but he was never a fav of mine .. I found his past too distasteful to view favourably .. though i did root for him .. a lot toward the end ..

I liked Nick for the same reason .. and I felt kind of sorry for him .. even though he had been a royal ba****d .. there was something endearing about him .. and in some sick twisted way .. he seemed to care for Morn ..

and I liked Dios ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I have no idea how many times I've reread The Gap. It is my favorite SRD story. I had to break off the series after CHAOS AND ORDER, too many other things to do, but ALL GODS will be there next time the urge to read some Donaldson becomes irresistable.

It is hard to pick a favorite character. I am fond of so many of them because Donaldson provided such a thorough understanding of them. I agree about Angus, Morn, Warden, Hashi, Min, Liete.

Others not mentioned above are Sixten Vertigus, Sib Mackey, Lane Harbinger, and maybe my favorite of all, Vector Shaheed.

Can we name the asteroid swarm, too? That is almost a character. :?

Joy
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Of course, asteroids, statutes ... there was character in everything is this series.

My heart still lies with a tie between Angus and Milos, for mine.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Have you tried to imagine the conversation, as Angus and Milos respond to this tie for your affections? :)

Here's the conversation of the asteroid swarm: "Energies from the ripped solar winds, fed by magnetic resonance, fired lightning in long, blinding sheets against Trumpet's shields."

Joy
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Heh no actually I hadn't thought of it. But Angus would be the most insulting of the two, though his tirade would be broken by an interspersion of his high-protein nic diet :)
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Skyweir wrote:my fav was Milos Taverner 8O ;) lol
:roll:

It is a good thing I know your joking sis, otherwise I'd have to orphan myself.
Landwaster wrote:My heart still lies with a tie between Angus and Milos, for mine.
You like Milos, I am disgusted, shall there be never ending war between us.
Last edited by Revan on Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Gap Series”