Audio version of Fatal Revenant

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

dlbpharmd
Lord

Audio version of Fatal Revenant

Post by dlbpharmd »

News from SRD:
As I announced earlier, Putnams will not be publishing an audio version of "Fatal Revenant" on CD. However, Scott Brick has obtained the rights to produce and sell an unabridged audio version of the book in digital format(s). I assume that his reading will be available from such outlets as www.audible.com. However, I don't yet know *when* his reading will be available.

9/22/07
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Scott, if you ever happen to visit the Watch, :yourock:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

mhleek
Servant of the Land

Thomas Covenant Audio

Post by mhleek »

I am a huge fan of audio and I am wondering if and when the earlier works will be on Audible? I would love to listen to Thomas Covenant books from the first book to the last. It has been years since I read them first and I did not buy them at the time so I would rather just purchase the audio versions since most of my time is devoted to my family and work and that hour commute is perfect for listening to books.

Mike
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Mike. Be Welcome and True.

There are audio versions available through the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped at the Library of Congress.

If you go to Online catalog search and enter "Donaldson Stephen R" in the author field, and "Covenant" in the title field, 10 available records come up.

These are apparently straight readings, without acting involved, as they are read mostly by volunteers. And they are only available to those who qualify for the services of this service.

But, they are available to those in need of them in order to enjoy them
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Mike, I'd be glad to poke you in the eyes if it will help out the cause.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Workshop Creation
Stonedownor

Post by Workshop Creation »

Ah.
Damned Australian libraries and book stores. They never get the good books in, nor the audio versions.

I don't want to have to download such a large file(s), and don't wish to have to place my credit card details. I just wish Australian stores would get something right for a change - NOTHING always has to be modern, geeze. Give me some classics!

I wonder if my local store will order it in for me...
I'd have to find out!
mhleek
Servant of the Land

Audio love

Post by mhleek »

Although poking out my eyes seems like a fair trade.....It may even improve my driving....Anyway I was more interested in Scott Brick versions or some such (he does rock). Downloading files is fine by me my Ipod has more than 20 gig in books and 40 gig to spare. I am waiting for those books of my past to be downloaded like the Thomas Covenant series.

Mike
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Fatal Revenant audio now available. As per SRD's news section:
"Fatal Revenant" is now available for purchase/download from www.ereader.com. Other sites? I don't know. Nor do I know what e-formats are available. But the text is read by Scott Brick (who also read "The Runes of the Earth"), and I believe it's unabridged.

11/20/07
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The only item listed in ereader.com is the ebook, not the audio version.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

update regarding audio book from SRD website:
"Fatal Revenant" audio (oops!)

An earlier news item--now deleted--announced that an audio version of "Fatal Revenant" read by Scott Brick was available from www.ereader.com. Sadly, I was misinformed. Brick does indeed have a contract with Putnams to produce an unabridged audio version of "Fatal Revenant," but at present I have no idea when/how it will become available. I'm trying to find out.

12/4/07
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

from SRD's site today:
"Fatal Revenant" unabridged audio version

I am now assured that Scott Brick's reading of "Fatal Revenant" will be available from www.audible.com early in January. He is also "in discussion" with iTunes, eMusic, and even Amazon, but those outlets remain uncertain.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

From SRD website:
"Fatal Revenant" unabridged audio (update)

Diligent visitors to audible.com will have noticed that "Fatal Revenant" has NOT appeared there as promised. Scott Brick, the reader and producer, has changed his, well, let's call it his marketing approach. Instead of making a series of individual deals with outlets like audible.com, he now wants to negotiate a contract with an "audio distributer" (Random House Audio), who will then make the book available through outlets like audible.com, iTunes, eMusic, and Amazon as a matter of course. I don't know when--or even if--he will have a contract with RHA. I also don't know how long RHA takes to distribute a book once they have it under contract. All I know for sure is that Scott Brick is serious. He's working hard to make this happen.

1/25/08
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Oh well. Thanks for the update, Sea.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Too bad. But I'm hopeful that it's just a delay.

Look at the bright side: if it takes longer then that'll fill more of the time until AATE ;-)

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

If you could, would you be one of the voices in the audio books??
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Heck yea! But who, I don't know. The Theomach certainly has some fun lines. Or maybe Caerroil W.

You know, one of the things I like about Scott Brick is he's very subtle w/ his voices. I mean, you can tell who the character is, but he doesn't overdo it to make his voice sound like a woman or a child or hobbit or whatever. I also like how his Haruchai are vaguely Vulcan-like ;-) I'm looking forward to hearing all the "new" characters in FR.

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I think your best option right now would be reading it yourself into an ipod if it had decent recording ability..i used a microphone plugged into my computer and created audio books for the first two chronicles along with Gilden fire read into IEW for part 2, in .mp3 format so i can listen to them on my Mp3 Player,. I have heard Lord fouls bane read by a woman who i cant recall her name but it sounded as Menolly said, to have been read by a volunteer so there was no inflection or character richness that you would get from say..Frank Muller or Scott Brick who read ROTE. someone even mentioned in the Gradual interview about converting the Texts with a computer for their own use and having a speech program read the files....i wouldnt recommend that either, sounds like robbie the robot reading to you most of the time.. but if you must have it then read it yourself....believe me you will get better after the first book, and it only takes as long as it does to read the book itself, long i know but worth it next time you want to refresh yourself on the series or go on a road trip.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I've heard a much better version of the first two series, read by a man (maybe two different guys who did different books, I don't remember). While they're not quite pro versions, they're WAY better than the woman.

It would be interesting to hear how I read the characters myself... maybe I'll do a chapter just for the heck of it. Don't have the time or inclination to do the whole thing though.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

From. SRD's website:

"Fatal Revenant" (and "Lord Foul's Bane") unabridged audio: a further update (at last?)

Scott Brick, the man who did the reading for the unabridged audio version of "The Runes of the Earth," has faced an appalling list of obstacles in his efforts to make his reading of "Fatal Revenant" (and of "Lord Foul's Bane," and of--eventually--more "Covenant" titles) available. I'll only mention the thorny problem of "international rights": any web-based outlet is international almost by definition; but publishers are very wary about granting international rights because those rights affect other publishers (e.g. Orion/Gollancz has an automatic interest in anything and everything that Putnams/Ace might do with international rights). But now it appears that the problems have been thrashed out. So:

On May 1, 2008, "Fatal Revenant" and "Lord Foul's Bane" should be available from: www.scottbrickpresents.com. If all goes well, other outlets will follow. Many of us have been waiting a long time for this, so let's all keep our communal fingers crossed.

4/12/08
Corwin
Stonedownor

Post by Corwin »

wow..... hit up the site to check out the first chapter of LFB! I'm more excited than I can say to see that FR is coming out finally. But to hear that ALL of the covenant books are being recorded by Scott Brick is just astounding! I recently finished listening to the series by the woman and the other dude.... Now I'll have to go back through Brick's version.... I'm more excited that I can put into words at this point. Peace.
Goodbye and Hello, as always.

...And the Glory of the world becomes less than it was.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”