Ramen flawed memory, and Mahrtiir

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

ParanoiA wrote:Yeah, I went back and re-read it. I guess I thought they had encircled him and it was "implied" the conversation was between Covenant and the Ranyhyn. After reading it again, it's quite clear they are were aware of the whole conversation. SRD even goes to the trouble to mention that they didn't judge Covenant for this because he was "beyond them". (As is the case with several characters throughout the series).
Well, Pietten was the only one physically near to Covenant at that moment. Its certainly possible that no one else heard what he said, and that Pietten never mentioned it to anyone else. I don't think so, but it's possible.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

And don't forget that Covenant was always 'closed' to the people of the 1st Chronicles - they had to take him much more by his words and actions (or by the obvious deference the Ranyhyn gave to him) than they would any Land-born person of any stature, whose intentions they could read much more plainly.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Borillar wrote:The Ramen who were possessed by Ravers weren't in the process of doing something as arrogant as trying to challenge Lord Foul to physical combat, though. The Ramen have always seemed to me to accept the strictures of their mortality, but their unquestioning belief of the perfection of the Ranyhyn appears to be the source of their downfall.
The Bloodguard challenging Foul to physical combat, Illcrest corrupted or not, always seemed ludicrous and contrived to me. But as far as the Ramen go, I can see how all the deaths of the Ranyhyn they rode through the years would seem betrayed by the Bloodguard's breaking of the Vow- those deaths were wasted in the Ramen's eyes. But that is quite a shallow viewpoint considering the lives the Bloodguard must have saved and service to the Land while on the backs of those brave Ranyhyn.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”