The Awards Thread

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

The Awards Thread

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've been posting quite a few of these threads recently, with lists of nominees and winners and so on; but since the individual threads don't get much traffic, I've decided to make a general thread into which all award-related notices can go. This should also be pretty useful as a source of recommendations for anyone looking for some good SFF to read.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

British Fantasy Awards 2007 - Winners
The British Fantasy Society is delighted to announce the winners of the British Fantasy Awards for 2007. The presentations were made at Fantasycon 2007 in Nottingham on 23rd September.

The Sydney J. Bounds Best Newcomer Award
Joe Hill

Best Non-Fiction:
Mark Morris: CINEMA MACABRE
PS Publishing

Best Artist:
Vincent Chong

Best Small Press:
Peter Crowther, PS Publishing

Best Collection:
Neil Gaiman: FRAGILE THINGS
Headline

Best Anthology:
Gary Couzens: EXTENDED PLAY: THE ELASTIC BOOK OF MUSIC
Elastic Press

Best Novella:
Paul Finch: KID
Choices, Pendragon Press

Best Short Fiction
Mark Chadbourn: WHISPER LANE
BFS A celebration, BFS

BFS Special Award: ‘The Karl Edward Wagner Award’:
Ellen Datlow

Best Novel: ‘The August Derleth Fantasy Award’:
Tim Lebbon: DUSK
Spectra Books
[Link]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The 2008 nominees for French SFF award the Grande Prix de l'Imaginaire have been posted here. The awards include categories both for original French and translated fiction. This year's nominees include Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora and Robert Charles Wilson's Spin, and the translators of VanderMeer's City of Saints and Madmen and Whittemore's Jerusalem Quartet are up for the Prix Jacques Chambon for their work.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

2007 Philip K Dick Award Nominees
The judges of the 2007 Philip K. Dick Award and the Philadelphia SF Society have announced the seven nominated works that comprise the final ballot for the award. The award recognizes distinguished science fiction published in paperback original form in the United States.

The nominees are:

Grey by Jon Armstrong (published by Night Shade Books)
Undertow by Elizabeth Bear (Bantam Spectra)
From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (Del Rey)
Nova Swing by M. John Harrison (Bantam Spectra)
Gradisil by Adam Roberts (Pyr)
Ally by Karen Traviss (Eos)
Saturn Returns by Sean Williams (Ace Books)

First prize and any special citations will be announced on Friday 21 March 2008 at Norwescon 31 at the Doubletree Hotel Seattle Airport, SeaTac, Washington.

The award is sponsored by the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society and the award ceremony is sponsored by the NorthWest Science Fiction Society. Last year's winner was Spin Control by Chris Moriarty (Bantam Spectra) with a special citation to Carnival by Elizabeth Bear (Bantam Spectra). The 2007 judges are Steve Miller, Chris Moriarty (chair), Steven Piziks, Randy Schroeder, and Ann Tonsor Zeddies.
[From SFScope]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

2008 Crawford Fantasy Award Shortlist and Award

The winner of the 2008 Crawford Fantasy Award is Christopher Barzak, for his first novel One for Sorrow (Bantam). The award, sponsored by the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, recognizes an outstanding first book of fantasy published during the preceding year, and will be presented March 22 at the association’s annual conference in Orlando, Florida.

In a departure from past years, the Association has simultaneously released the winner along with the shortlist for the award. Other titles on this year’s shortlist are Laird Barron, The Imago Sequence (Night Shade); Ron Currie, Jr., God is Dead (Viking); Ellen Klages, Portable Childhoods (Tachyon); and Ysabeau Wilce, Flora Segunda (Harcourt). Ekaterina Sedia’s The Secret History of Moscow, praised by a number of the award nominators, was ineligible for the shortlist because of an earlier fantasy novel published by Sedia in 2005.

Instead of a formal committee structure, the Crawford Award is determined by a panel of nominators, who review and discuss each other’s nominations. This year’s panel included John Clute, Kelly Link, Farah Mendlesohn, Cheryl Morgan, and Graham Sleight. The award is administered by Gary K. Wolfe of the IAFA Board.

The Crawford Award was established in 1985 through a grant from Andre Norton in memory of early fantasy small-press publisher William L. Crawford, who had died the preceding year. Past winners have included Charles de Lint, Susan Palwick, Greer Gilman, Jonathan Lethem, Candas Jane Dorsey, Alexander Irvine, Steph Swainston, and Joe Hill. Last year’s winner was M. Rickert.
www.iafa.org
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

2007 Preliminary Nebula Ballot
NOVELS - 13

Vellum: The Book of All Hours - Duncan, Hal (Del Rey, Apr06 (Macmillan hardcover Nov05 (UK)))
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Rowling, J. K. (Scholastic Press, Jul07)
Odyssey - McDevitt, Jack (Ace, Nov06)
Mainspring - Lake, Jay (Tor, Jun07)
The Accidental Time Machine - Haldeman, Joe (Ace, Aug07)
Species Imperative #3: Regeneration - Czerneda, Julie E. (DAW, May06)
The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Chabon, Michael (HarperCollins, May07)
The New Moon's Arms - Hopkinson, Nalo (Warner Books, Feb07)
Blindsight - Watts, Peter (Tor, Oct06)
Rollback - Sawyer, Robert J. (Analog, Feb07 (serialized in Oct06 through Jan/Feb07 issues; Tor book, Apr07))
The Outback Stars - McDonald, Sandra (Tor, May07)
Strange Robby - Rosen, Selina (Meisha Merlin Publishing, Jul06)
Ragamuffin - Buckell, Tobias (Tor, Jun07)

NOVELLAS - 5

Kiosk - Sterling, Bruce (F&SF, Jan07)
Memorare - Wolfe, Gene (F&SF, Apr07)
Stars Seen Through Stone - Shepard, Lucius (F&SF, Jul07)
The Helper and His Hero - Hughes, Matt (F&SF, Mar07 (Feb07 & Mar07))
Fountain of Age - Kress, Nancy (Asimov's, Jul07)

NOVELETTES - 13

The Sun God at Dawn, Rising from a Lotus Blossom - Kail, Andrea (Writers of the Future Volume 23, Algis Budrys, Ed., Galaxy Press, Sep07)
A Flight of Numbers Fantastique Strange - Bernobich, Beth (Asimov's, Jun06)
The Fiddler of Bayou Teche - Sherman, Delia (Coyote Road, Trickster Tales, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, Ed., Viking Juvenile, Jul07)
Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter - Ryman, Geoff (F&SF, Nov06)
Sister of the Hedge - Hines, Jim C. (Realms of Fantasy, Jun06)
The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs Of North Park After the
Change - Johnson, Kij (Coyote Road, Trickster Tales, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, Ed., Viking Juvenile, Jul07)
Things That Aren't - Burstein, Michael A.; and Greenberger, Robert (Analog, Apr07)
Alastair Baffle's Emporium of Wonders - Resnick, Mike (Asimov's, Jan08)
Safeguard - Kress, Nancy (Asimov's, Jan07)
Tonino and the Incubus - Robinson, Peg (Helix: A Speculative Fiction Quarterly, WS & LWE, Ed., Oct06 (Fall06 issue -- #2))
The Children's Crusade - Bailey, Robin Wayne (Heroes in Training, Martin H. Greenberg and Jim C. Hines, Ed., DAW, Sep07)
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate - Chiang, Ted (F&SF, Sep07)
Not of this Fold - Shunn, William (An Alternate History of the 21st Century,
Spilt Milk Press, Sep07)

SHORT STORIES - 7

Unique Chicken Goes In Reverse - Duncan, Andy (Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction And Fantasy, Jonathan Strahan, Ed., Night Shade Books, Oct07)
Titanium Mike Saves the Day - Levine, David D. (F&SF, Apr07)
Captive Girl - Pelland, Jennifer (Helix: A Speculative Fiction Quarterly,
WS & LWE, Ed., Oct06 (Fall06 issue -- #2))
Always - Fowler, Karen Joy (Asimov's, May07 (apr/may07 issue))
For Solo Cello, op. 12 - Kowal, Mary Robinette (Cosmos, Mar07 (Feb/Mar07))
The Padre, the Rabbi, and the Devil His Own Self - Fletcher, Melanie (Helix: A Speculative Fiction Quarterly, WS & LWE, Ed., Oct06 (Fall06 issue -- #2))
The Story of Love - Nazarian, Vera (Salt of the Air, Prime Books, Sep06)

SCRIPTS -- 7

Children of Men - Cuaron, Alfonso & Sexton, Timothy J. and Arata, David and Fergus, Mark & Ostby, Hawk (Universal Studios, Dec06)
The Prestige - Nolan, Christopher and Nolan, Jonathon (Newmarket Films, Oct06 (Oct 20, 2006 -- based on the novel by Christopher Priest))
Pan's Labyrinth - del Toro, Guillermo (Time/Warner, Jan07)
The Discarded - Ellison, Harlan and Olson, Josh (Masters of Science Fiction, ABC-TV, Apr07)
V for Vendetta - Wachowski, Larry & Wachowski, Andy (Warner Films, Mar06 (released 3/17/2006 -- Written by the Wachowski Brothers, based on the graphic novel illustrated by David Lloyd and published by Vertigo/DC Comics))
World Enough and Time - Zicree, Marc Scott and Reaves, Michael (Star Trek: New Voyages, www.startreknewvoyages.com, Aug07 (Aired 8/23/07))
Blink - Moffat, Steven (Doctor Who, BBC/The Sci-Fi Channel, Sep07 (Aired on SciFi Channel 14 Sep07))

ANDRE NORTON AWARD* -- 4

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Rowling, J. K. (Scholastic Press, Jul07)
Into the Wild - Durst, Sarah Beth (Penguin Razorbill, Jun07)
Vintage: A Ghost Story - Berman, Steve (Haworth Positronic Press, Mar07)
Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog - Wilce, Ysabeau S. (Harcourt, Jan07)

*Note that the Andre Norton Jury may place additional works on this ballot.
[Link]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Nominees for the 20th Annual Lambda Literary Awards
January 10, 2008--The Lambda Literary Awards have received a record number of nominations for books with LGBT content published during 2007. This spring, the Lambda Literary Foundation will produce the 20th presentation of the awards (known as the "Lammys") at a gala ceremony in West Hollywood, on May 29, on the eve of Book Expo America, the annual booksellers convention.

In all, 190 publishers nominated 463 books for awards in 21 categories, including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, memoir/biography, childrens/young adult, romance, and mystery, among others. To be eligible, a book must contain LGBT content, and to be nominated, a book must be submitted by its publisher or its author.
[...]

LGBT SCI-FI/FANTASY/HORROR

Water Witch, Nene Adams (P.D. Publishing)
Q-FAQ, Tom Bacchus (Haworth)
Face of the Enemy, Sandra Barrett (Regal Crest Enterprises)
Blood Desires, Laura Baumbach (MLR Press)
So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction, Steve Berman (Haworth)
Vintage: A Ghost Story, Steve Berman (Haworth)
Carnal Sacraments, Perry Brass (Belhue Press)
Rebel's Quest, Gunn Brooke (Bold Strokes Books)
A Nice Girl Like You, Tyree Campbell (Bedazzled Ink)
Orphan's Quest, Pat Nelson Childs (Glynworks Publishing)
The Very Bloody Marys, M. Christian (Haworth)
Queens of Tristaine, Cate Culpepper (Bold Strokes Books)
The Forgotten Ones, Douglas Ferguson (Reverse Rapture Books)
Dynasty of Rogues, Jane Fletcher (Bold Strokes Books)
Sister's Flight, Jeanne G'Fellers (Bella Books)
Wicked Gentlemen, Ginn Hale (Blind Eye Books)
Water Logic, Laurie Marks (Small Beer Press)
A Companion to Wolves, Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear (Tor Books)
World Without Winter, Steve Pierce (P.D. Publishing)
In the Blood, Rick R. Reed (Regal Crest Enterprises)
Banshee's Honor, Shaylynn Rose (P.D. Publishing)
Spaceman Blues: A Love Song, Brian Francis Slattery (Tor Books)
The Danger Dance, Caro Soles (Haworth)
Away from the Dawn, Kate Sweeney (Intaglio Publications)
The Dust of Wonderland, Lee Thomas (Alyson Books)
Ha'penny, Jo Walton (Tor Books)
Every Dark Desire, Fiona Zedde (Kensington)

[...]
[Link]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

F&SF magazine has put all its Nebula-ballotted stories up online. You can read them here.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sterling and Wolfe. Nice.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Press Release
For Immediate Release

Award Administrator
admin @ shirleyjacksonawards.org

Award named for Shirley Jackson to Honor
Writers of Psychological Suspense, Horror, and the Dark Fantastic

Inaugural year is for works published in 2007; Board of Advisors and Judges announced

Boston, MA (January 2008) — In recognition of the legacy of Shirley Jackson’s writing, and with permission of the author’s estate, the Shirley Jackson Award has been established for outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic.

Shirley Jackson (1916-1965) wrote such classic novels as The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle, as well as one of the most famous short stories in the English language, “The Lottery.” Her work continues to be a major influence on writers of every kind of fiction, from the most traditional genre offerings to the most innovative literary work. National Book Critics Circle Award-winning novelist Jonathan Lethem has called Jackson “one of this century’s most luminous and strange American writers,” and multiple generations of authors would agree.

The Shirley Jackson Award will be voted upon by a jury of professional writers, editors, critics, and academics, with input from a Board of Advisors. The awards will be given for the best work published in the preceding calendar year in the following categories: Novel, Novella, Novelette, Short Story, Single-Author Collection, and Edited Anthology.

A website, ShirleyJacksonAwards.org, will provide more information on the award categories and the selection process. The date and location for the awards ceremony will be announced soon.

The jurors for the 2007 Shirley Jackson Awards are, alphabetically:

F. Brett Cox, co-editor (with Andy Duncan) of Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic (Tor, 2004); author of numerous short stories, critical essays, and reviews; English faculty at Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont.

John Langan, author of short story collection Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters (Prime Books, forthcoming 2008) and numerous critical essays and reviews; English faculty at State University of New York-New Paltz.

Sarah Langan, author of novels The Keeper (Harper, 2006; finalist for Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel) and The Missing (Harper, 2007); MFA in Creative Writing, Columbia University; freelance writer currently living in New York City.

Paul G. Tremblay, author of collection Compositions for the Young and Old (Prime Books, 2004), novella “City Pier: Above and Below” (Prime, 2007), and novel The Little Sleep (Henry Holt, forthcoming); co-editor of Fantasy Magazine and the anthologies Fantasy and Bandersnatch.

The Board of Advisors for the Shirley Jackson Award includes award-winning editor and anthologist Ellen Datlow; renowned scholar and editor S.T. Joshi; author, editor, and teacher Nick Mamatas, author and teacher Jack M. Haringa (co-editor, with Joshi, of the critical journal Dead Reckonings); author Mike O’Driscoll; editor Ann Vandermeer; and award-winning and best-selling novelist Stewart O’Nan.

Edit: Apparently the Jackson awards will be replacing the International Horror Guild Awards, which are being discontinued.
Edit: The previous edit is incorrect. The IHG Awards have not been discontinued (yet).
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Following suit with F&SF, Asimov's currently has their stories on the Nebula preliminary ballot up to read, linked from their main page.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

British Science Fiction Association Awards Nominees 2008
Best Novel
* Alice in Sunderland, Bryan Talbot (Jonathan Cape)
* Black Man, Richard Morgan (Gollancz)
* Brasyl, Ian McDonald (Gollancz)
* The Execution Channel, Ken MacLeod (Orbit)
* The Prefect, Alastair Reynolds (Gollancz)
* The Yiddish Policemen’s Union, Michael Chabon (Fourth Estate)

Best Short Fiction
* “Lighting Out”, Ken MacLeod (disLocations; NewCon Press)
* “Terminal”, Chaz Brenchley (disLocations; NewCon Press)
* “The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate”, Ted Chiang (F&SF, September)
* “The Gift of Joy”, Ian Whates (TQR)
* “The Sledge-Maker’s Daughter”, Alastair Reynolds (Interzone #209)

Best Artwork
* “Cracked World”, Andy Bigwood (cover of disLocations anthology, published by NewCon Press)
* “H P Lovecraft in Britain”, Les Edwards (cover of chapbook by Stephen Jones, published by the British Fantasy Society)
* “Lunar Flare”, Richard Marchand (cover of Interzone #211)
* “Metal Dragon Year”, Kenn Brown (cover of Interzone #212)

BSFA Fiftieth Anniversary Award: Best Novel of 1958
* A Case of Conscience, James Blish (first published by Ballantine)
* Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Robert A Heinlein (first published in F&SF, August – October 1958)
* Non-Stop, Brian Aldiss (first published by Faber & Faber)
* The Big Time, Fritz Leiber (first published in Galaxy, March/April 1958)
* The Triumph of Time, James Blish (first published by Avon; subsequent UK title A Clash of Cymbals)
* Who?, Algis Budrys (first published by Pyramid)

The awards will be presented on Saturday 22 March 2008, in a ceremony at the British national science fiction convention (Eastercon), Orbital.
[via Science Fiction Awards Watch]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

STOKER PRELIMINARY BALLOT LIST

Superior Achievement in a Novel
The Guardener's Tale by Bruce Boston (Sam's Dot)
Mr. Hands by Gary Braunbeck (Leisure)
Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (Small Beer Press)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (William Morrow)
Ghoul by Brian Keene (Leisure)
The Missing by Sarah Langan (Harper)
Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Pinnacle)
The Midnight Road by Tom Piccirilli (Bantam)
The Terror by Dan Simmons (Little, Brown)
The Dust of Wonderland by Lee Thomas (Alyson Books)

Superior Achievement in a First Novel
I Will Rise by Michael Calvillo (Lachesis Publishing)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (William Morrow)
The Memory Tree by John R. Little (Nocturne Press)
Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth (Permuted Press)
The Hollower by Mary SanGiovanni (Leisure Books)
Vacation by Jeremy Shipp (Raw Dog Screaming Press)
Roses of Blood on Barbwire Vines by D. L. Snell (Permuted Press)

Superior Achievement in Long Fiction
"Afterward, There Will Be A Hallway" by Gary Braunbeck (Five Strokes to Midnight)
"Almost the Last Story by Almost the Last Man" by Scott Edelman (Postscripts)
"Survival of the Fittest" by Scott Edelman (Summer Chills)
"You Never Got Used to the Needle" by John Everson (Needles and Sins)
Blood Coven by Angeline Hawkes & Christopher Fulbright (Dead Letter Press)
General Slocum's Gold by Nicholas Kaufmann (Burning Effigy Press)
Placeholders by John R. Little (Necessary Evil Press)
Blood Wish by Michael McBride (Delirium Books)
Frayed by Tom Piccirilli (Creeping Hemlock Press)
Lost in Translation by Gord Rollo (NYX Books)
"An Apiary of White Bees" by Lee Thomas (Inferno)
"Trolling Lures" by Steve Vernon (Hard Roads)

Superior Achievement in Short Fiction
"The Death Wagon Rolls On By" by C. Dean Andersson (Cemetery Dance #57)
"The Heart Of The City" by Sandy DeLuca & Michael McCarty (Hungur #4)
"Longtime Gone" by Kurt Dinan (Chizine #34)
"Letting Go" by John Everson (Needles and Sins)
"Hungry for the Flesh" by Lisa Manetti (Space and Time #100)
"The Wizard of Ooze" by Michael McCarty & Linnea Quigley (Midnight Premiere)
"Mr. Creator" by Joe McKinney (The Sound of Horror)
"The Teacher” by Paul G. Tremblay (Chizine)
"There's No Light Between Floors" by Paul G. Tremblay (Clarkesworld)
"The Gentle Brush of Wings" by David Niall Wilson (Defining Moments)

Superior Achievement in an Anthology
Five Strokes to Midnight edited by Gary Braunbeck and Hank Schwaeble (Haunted Pelican Press)
Horror Library Volume 2 edited by R. J. Cavender & Vincent VanAllen (Cutting Block Press)
Inferno edited by Ellen Datlow (Tor)
Dark Delicacies 2: Fear edited by Del Howison & Jeff Gelb (Carroll & Graf/Avalon)
High Seas Cthulhu edited by William Jones (Elder Signs Press)
Horrors Beyond 2 edited by William Jones (Elder Signs Press)
Astounding Hero Tales edited by James Lowder (Hero)
History is Dead edited by Kim Paffenroth (Permuted Press)
Midnight Premiere edited by Tom Piccirilli (Cemetery Dance Publications)
Gratia Placenti edited by Jason Sizemore & Gill Ainsworth (Apex Publications)

Superior Achievement in a Collection
Proverbs for Monsters by Michael A. Arnzen (Dark Regions Press)
The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron (Night Shade Books
Darker Loves by James Dorr (Dark Regions Press)
Needles and Sins by John Everson (Necro Publications)
When it Rains and Other Wreckage by Christopher Fulbright (Doorways Publication)
Voyeurs of Death by Shaun Jeffrey (Doorways Publication)
No Further Messages by Brett Alexander Savory (Delirium)
Sparks and Shadows by Lucy Snyder (HW Press)
5 Stories by Peter Straub (Borderlands)
Defining Moments by David Niall Wilson (Sarob Press)

Superior Achievement in Nonfiction
Encyclopedia Horrifica by Joshue Gee (Scholastic)
The Science of Stephen King by Lois H. Gresh and Robert Weinberg (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)
The Portable Obituary: How the Famous, Rich, and Powerful Really Died by Michael Largo (Harper)
The Cryptopedia: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange & Downright Bizarre by Jonathan Maberry & David F. Kramer (Citadel Press / Kensington)
Storytellers Unplugged by Joe Nassise and David Niall Wilson (Storytellers Unplugged)

Superior Achievement in Poetry
Being Full of Light, Insubstantial by Linda Addison (Space and Time)
Mary Falls: Requiem for Mrs. Surratt by Christopher Conlon (The Word Works)
Tango in the Ninth Circle by Corrine de Winter (Dark Regions Press)
Heresy by Charlee Jacob (Bedlam Press [Necro Publications])
VECTORS: A Week in the Death of a Planet by Charlee Jacob & Marge Simon (Dark Regions Press)
Phantasmapedia by Mark McLaughlin (Dead Letter Press)
Sometimes While Dreaming by Marcie Lynn Tentchoff (Sam's Dot)
Your Cat & Other Space Aliens by Mary Turzillo (VanZeno Press)
[via Ellen Datlow]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Aurealis Awards winners have been announced.
The Aurealis Awards were established in 1995 by Chimaera Publications, the publishers of Aurealis Magazine, to recognise the achievements of Australian science fiction, fantasy and horror writers.
2007 WINNERS

best science fiction novel
David Kowalski, The Company of the Dead, Pan Macmillan

best science fiction short story
Cat Sparks, ‘Hollywood Roadkill’, On Spec, #69

best fantasy novel
Lian Hearn, Heaven’s Net is Wide, Tales of the Otori The First Book, Hachette Livre

best fantasy short story
Garth Nix, ‘Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz go to War Again’, Jim Baen’s Universe, April 2007

best horror novel
Susan Parisi, Blood of Dreams, Penguin Group (Australia)

best horror short story
Anna Tambour, ‘The Jeweller of Second-Hand Roe’, Subterranean, #7

best young adult novel
Anthony Eaton, Skyfall, UQP

best young adult short story
Deborah Biancotti, ‘A Scar for Leida’, Fantastic Wonder Stories, Ticonderoga Publications

best children’s (8-12 years) long fiction
Kate Forsyth, The Silver Horse, The Chain of Charms 2, Pan Macmillan
Kate Forsyth, The Herb of Grace, The Chain of Charms 3, Pan Macmillan
Kate Forsyth, The Cat’s Eye Shell, The Chain of Charms 4, Pan Macmillan
Kate Forsyth, The Lightning Bolt, The Chain of Charms 5, Pan Macmillan
Kate Forsyth, The Butterfly in Amber, The Chain of Charms 6, Pan Macmillan

best children’s (8-12 years) short fiction (tied)
Marc McBride, World of Monsters, Scholastic Australia
and
Briony Stewart, Kumiko and the Dragon, UQP

Peter McNamara Convenors' Award for Excellence
Terry Dowling, Rynemonn, Coeur de Lion Publications

GOLDEN AUREALIS

Novel:
David Kowalski, The Company of the Dead, Pan Macmillan

Short Story:
Cat Sparks, ‘Hollywood Roadkill’, On Spec, #69
[Link]

(Yes, the children's award was given to an entire series.)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Gaylactic Spectrum Awards announced the award for Best Novel at Gaylaxicon in October, but the rest of the awards were held back for a later date. They now, however, have the longlists, shortlists and winners for all awards on their website here.

In short:
2007 Best Novel Winner
Vellum - Hal Duncan (Del Rey)

2007 Best Short Fiction Winners
(TIE) In the Quake Zone - David Gerrold (Down These Dark Spaceways - SFBC)
(TIE) Instinct - Joy Parks (The Future Is Queer - Arsenal Pulp)
(TIE) The Language of Moths - Christopher Barzak (Realms of Fantasy)

2007 Best Other Work Winners
(TIE) The Future Is Queer - anthology - edited by Richard Labonte and Lawrence Schimel (Arsenal Pulp)
(TIE) Torchwood Season 1 - television - by Russell T Davies et al (BBC)
(TIE) V for Vendetta - film - by James McTeigue et al (Warner Bros)
[via SF Awards Watch]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Locus Awards ballot is up. It's an open ballot--anyone can vote; and if a work you want to vote for isn't on the Recommended Reading list, you can write it in.
Go ahead here.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Final 2007 Stoker Ballot
Superior Achievement in a Novel

THE GUARDENER'S TALE by Bruce Boston (Sam’s Dot
Publishing)
HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (William Morrow)
THE MISSING by Sarah Langan (Harper)
THE TERROR by Dan Simmons (Little, Brown)

Superior Achievement in a First Novel

HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill (William Morrow)
I WILL RISE by Michael Calvillo (Lachesis Publishing)
THE MEMORY TREE by John R. Little (Nocturne Press)
THE WITCH'S TRINITY by Erika Mailman (Crown)
THE HOLLOWER by Mary SanGiovanni (Leisure Books)

Superior Achievement in Long Fiction

AFTERWARD, THERE WILL BE A HALLWAY by Gary Braunbeck
(Five Strokes to Midnight)
ALMOST THE LAST STORY BY ALMOST THE LAST MAN by Scott
Edelman (Postscripts)
GENERAL SLOCUM'S GOLD by Nicholas Kaufmann (Burning
Effigy Press)
THE TENTH MUSE by William Browning Spencer
AN APIARY OF WHITE BEES by Lee Thomas (Inferno)

Superior Achievement in Short Fiction

THE DEATH WAGON ROLLS ON BY by C. Dean Andersson
(Cemetery Dance #57)
LETTING GO by John Everson (Needles and Sins)
THE TEACHER by Paul G. Tremblay (Chizine)
THERE'S NO LIGHT BETWEEN FLOORS by Paul G. Tremblay
(Clarkesworld)
CLOSET DREAMS by Lisa Tuttle (Postscripts #10)
THE GENTLE BRUSH OF WINGS by David Niall Wilson
(Defining Moments)

Superior Achievement in an Anthology

FIVE STROKES TO MIDNIGHT edited by Gary Braunbeck and
Hank Schwaeble (Haunted Pelican Press)
INFERNO edited by Ellen Datlow (Tor)
DARK DELICACIES 2: FEAR edited by Del Howison & Jeff
Gelb (Carroll & Graf/Avalon)
MIDNIGHT PREMIERE edited by Tom Piccirilli (Cemetery
Dance Publications)
AT EASE WITH THE DEAD edited by Barbara & Christopher
Roden (Ash-Tree Press)

Superior Achievement in a Collection

PROVERBS FOR MONSTERS by Michael A. Arnzen (Dark
Regions Press)
THE IMAGO SEQUENCE by Laird Barron (Night Shade Books)
OLD DEVIL MOON by Christopher Fowler (Serpent’s Tail)
5 STORIES by Peter Straub (Borderlands)
DEFINING MOMENTS by David Niall Wilson (Sarob Press)

Superior Achievement in Nonfiction

ENCYCLOPEDIA HORRIFICA by Joshua Gee (Scholastic)
THE PORTABLE OBITUARY: HOW THE FAMOUS, RICH, AND
POWERFUL REALLY DIED by Michael Largo (Harper)
THE CRYPTOPEDIA: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange &
Downright Bizarre by Jonathan Maberry & David F.
Kramer (Citadel Press / Kensington)
STORYTELLERS UNPLUGGED by Joe Nassise and David Niall
Wilson (Storytellers Unplugged)

Superior Achievement in Poetry

BEING FULL OF LIGHT, INSUBSTANTIAL by Linda Addison
(Space and Time)
HERESY by Charlee Jacob (Bedlam Press [Necro
Publications])
VECTORS: A WEEK IN THE DEATH OF A PLANET by Charlee
Jacob & Marge Simon (Dark Regions Press)
PHANTASMAPEDIA by Mark McLaughlin (Dead Letter Press)
OSSUARY by JoSelle Vanderhooft (Sam’s Dot Publishing)
Two Lifetime Achievement Awards are being given, to "writer/director/producer/composer" John Carpenter and writer and founding member of HWA Robert Weinberg.

[via Ellen Datlow]
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Lol, Hasn't Gaiman started giving awards back now? I heard that he said something like "I think someone new should win for once"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Final 2007 Nebula Ballot
Novels

Ragamuffin by Tobias Buckell (Tor, Jun07)
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (HarperCollins, May07)
The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman (Ace, Aug07)
The New Moon's Arms by Nalo Hopkinson (Warner Books, Feb07)
Odyssey by Jack McDevitt (Ace, Nov06)

Novellas

"Awakening" by Judith Berman (Black Gate 10, Spr07)
"The Helper and His Hero" by Matt Hughes (F&SF, Feb07 & Mar07)
"Fountain of Age" by Nancy Kress (Asimov's, Jul07)
"Stars Seen Through Stone" by Lucius Shepard (F&SF, Jul07)
"Kiosk" by Bruce Sterling (F&SF, Jan07)
"Memorare" by Gene Wolfe (F&SF, Apr07)

Novelettes

"The Children's Crusade" by Robin Wayne Bailey (Heroes in Training, Martin H. Greenberg and Jim C. Hines, ed., DAW, Sep07)
"Child, Maiden, Mother, Crone" by Terry Bramlett (Jim Baen's Universe 7, June 2007)
"The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang, Ted (F&SF, Sep07)
"The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs Of North Park After the Change" by Kij Johnson (Coyote Road, Trickster Tales, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, ed., Viking Juvenile, Jul07)
"Safeguard" by Nancy Kress (Asimov's, Jan07)
"Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter" by Geoff Ryman (F&SF, Nov06)
"The Fiddler of Bayou Teche" by Delia Sherman (Coyote Road, Trickster Tales, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, ed., Viking Juvenile, Jul07)

Short Stories

"Unique Chicken Goes In Reverse" by Andy Duncan (Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, Jonathan Strahan, ed., Night Shade Books, Oct07)
"Always" by Karen Joy Fowler (Asimov's, May07 (Apr/May07 issue))
"Titanium Mike Saves the Day" by David D. Levine (F&SF, Apr07)
"The Story of Love" by Vera Nazarian (Salt of the Air, Prime Books, Sep06)
"Captive Girl" by Jennifer Pelland (Helix: A Speculative Fiction Quarterly, William Sanders & Lawrence Watt-Evans, ed., Oct06 (Fall06 issue -- #2))
"Pride" by Mary Turzillo (Fast Forward 1, Pyr, February 2007)

Scripts

Children of Men" by Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby (Universal Studios, Dec06)
"Blink" by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, BBC/The Sci-Fi Channel, Sep07 (Aired on SciFi Channel 14Sep07))
Pan's Labyrinth> by Guillermo del Toro (Time/Warner, Jan07)
The Prestige by Christopher Nolan & Jonathan Nolan (Newmarket Films, Oct06 (Oct 20, 2006 -- based on the novel by Christopher Priest))
V for Vendetta by Larry & Andy Wachowski (Warner Films, Mar06 (released 3/17/2006 -- Written by the Wachowski Brothers, based on the graphic novel illustrated by David Lloyd and published by Vertigo/DC Comics))
"World Enough and Time" by Marc Scott Zicree & Michael Reeves (Star Trek: New Voyages, www.startreknewvoyages.com, Aug07 (Aired 8/23/07))

Andre Norton Award

Vintage: A Ghost Story by Steve Berman (Haworth Positronic Press, Mar07)
Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst (Penguin Razorbill, Jun07)
The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu (Jump At The Sun, Sep07)
The True Meaning of Smek Day by Adam Rex (Hyperion, Oct07)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (Scholastic Press, Jul07)
The Lion Hunter by Elizabeth Wein (Viking Juvenile, Jun07 (The Mark of Solomon, Book 1))
Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Harcourt, Jan07)
[Link.]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Michael Moorcock named SFWA Grand Master
The SFWA® Board of Directors and President Michael Capobianco are pleased to announce that writer and editor Michael Moorcock has been named Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master for 2008. The Grand Master represents SFWA's highest accolade and recognizes excellence for a lifetime of contributions to the genres of science fiction and fantasy.
[Link.]

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”