What's for breakfast

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:I do a lot of the baking at work Av and am pretty good at judging when pastry is at it's optimum (if I say so myself! ;) ) so I'll play it by ear ..... eye ..... ear. Yes hot sugar! Good point! In my desire for sticky sweet stuff I'd probably have forgotten that! :lol:
The GF bids me inform you that I have traduced her recipe by neglecting to mention the cinnamon and nutmeg she added, as well as the (optional) sprinkle of almond flour over the crushed nuts and chocolate.

She also advises packing the slices tightly in a deepish dish, lest the filling run out as the pastry expands.

:D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I have also been tasked with issuing a correction. A Chocolate Thing is more closely related to brioche than scone.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

Now is Peter reading this? Or are our corrections falling on deaf ears? (blind eyes?)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wow Av - who would have thought so simple a confection could taste so good! Chocolate and orange is a marriage made in heaven. Even E, who is not a sweet pastry lover was tempted and impressed with the result. Your partner was totally correct with her advice on packing them tightly - of course I failed to do this so the end result was not as visually pleasing as perhaps it could have been, but the eating was still very good! (In truth I was worried that the pastry would not cook where it was in contact, so erred on the side of caution perhaps). We served it hot with a scoop of Heston Blumenthal's marmalade ice cream as a dessert - a definite for the family at Christmas! :D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

My breakfast was oatmeal with plain yogurt, and some bites of pumpkin bread.
Sorus wrote:I have also been tasked with issuing a correction. A Chocolate Thing is more closely related to brioche than scone.
Looks like I'm not the only one who has conversations that involve, "I told some friends from online that..."
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:Wow Av - who would have thought so simple a confection could taste so good!
Ah, glad you enjoyed it. :D They really are good cold too. Maybe even better. :D

Thanks for the feedback. :D I shall tell the GF.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Therein lies the problem Av - what to do with the three remaining slices! Mrs P is back on her diet and I'm already being told by my liver that I've eaten my pastry quota for the week. I find myself on the horns of a dilema - alas the Cornish seagull's may shortly be in for a serious treat! ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

They keep for quite a while you know. (And they make a pretty good breakfast...) :lol:

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sorus wrote:I like that. There's a local bakery here that makes a pastry they just call a Chocolate Thing.
The other day the GF did the following:

Rolled out a sheet of puff pastry, and covered it in chocolate spread. Then, spread marmalade over that. Then sprinkled it with chopped almonds and dark chocolate pieces. Then rolled it up like a swiss roll, cut into slices, and baked.

Dark chocolate orange and almond pastry...it was delicious.

--A
Wow! Sounds yummy and simple! Adding that to my foodie repertoire 😊 Cheers!!!! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‹
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Like Av - I rarely eat allegedly "the most important meal of the day" .. I'm never hungry in the morning ., and my stomach takes its sweet time waking up.

However, for lunch I enjoyed home made crumpets and a cup of coffee β˜•οΈ .. a nice warm up for the day. By then Id worked outside fencing, I seem to be always fencing! But after that I was ready for my crumpet! LOL πŸ˜‚
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Is that fencing with a sword, or building a fence? I've always wanted to learn the sword type. Or archery, but I'd probably be better at fencing because I have no depth perception.

Homemade crumpets sound good.

Post by Avatar »

Need depth perception for fencing too. :) I'm pretty sure Sky means the fence type of fencing. :D

(I used to do a bit of fencing myself (epee) (damn site won't allow accents on that) but that was long ago now.)

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm better with depth perception issues when they're close up. Since it's something I was born with, there's a degree of automatic compensation. The rest is just math.

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: This thread is in a tangle; I assumed Av meant the kind of fencing he thinks that Skyweir is meaning - but then I realized that he meant (or I think he does) Sorus's type. And just to complicate matters a bit further, I also used to fence occasionally, chiefly post and rail, but sometimes wire; I always fancied learning the art of dry stone walling - there was something about the lone figure in the middle of the rolling moor patiently balancing and locking his stone wall into place that appealed to the incurable romantic in me. ;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Yeah, I'm one for derailing threads. Anyway, crumpets. It's difficult to get a good crumpet around here.

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote::lol: This thread is in a tangle; I assumed Av meant the kind of fencing he thinks that Skyweir is meaning - but then I realized that he meant (or I think he does) Sorus's type. And just to complicate matters a bit further, I also used to fence occasionally, chiefly post and rail, but sometimes wire; I always fancied learning the art of dry stone walling - there was something about the lone figure in the middle of the rolling moor patiently balancing and locking his stone wall into place that appealed to the incurable romantic in me. ;)
I do love Cotswold stone walls... :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Oh yes! (To crumpets and stone walls! ;) )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

peter wrote::lol: This thread is in a tangle; I assumed Av meant the kind of fencing he thinks that Skyweir is meaning - but then I realized that he meant (or I think he does) Sorus's type. And just to complicate matters a bit further, I also used to fence occasionally, chiefly post and rail, but sometimes wire; I always fancied learning the art of dry stone walling - there was something about the lone figure in the middle of the rolling moor patiently balancing and locking his stone wall into place that appealed to the incurable romantic in me. ;)
Me: Fencing Post & rail and wiring it to stop animals walking through it! I'm always fencing! πŸ™„

I'd LOOOVVVE to learn stone wall building!! I lived in a small village below the not that far from Hadrians Wall - we had an Armstrong in the village - more like in a manor in the village. Anyhoo I have such memories of climbing over styles and and nothing but stone walls ..as far as the eye can see 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Av: sword fighting - en garde!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sorus wrote:Yeah, I'm one for derailing threads. Anyway, crumpets. It's difficult to get a good crumpet around here.
You should pop down under for a visit ... my hubby makes the best home made crumpets! They are to die for! He made me a batch before I left home for the week!

The joys of having a man that can cook ... and that lives to bake!!

Not super for the waste line ... but am past caring about my waist line! When you're as old as I am all I care about is being healthy and fit! Though I will admit I do on occasion feel I'm letting the side down .. with a body building fitness model for a daughter who just got her pro-card!!! She's soooo frigg'n food organised! She food preps once a week - 30 or so boxes of meals for the week! She's ripped! Then my dancer / singer son who travels on 6-12 month contracts world wide - well you can imagine how ripped he is! And both sons and daughter in-law have gone vegetarian/vegan .. well they just don't eat meat!!

And I'm British!!!! I love my Sunday roasts and .. well I can do vego but I loooove bacon!!! Sorry piggies 🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷!!! But I do!!! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ahhh Bacon! We have a thread dedicated to it somewhere I believe, and I know I've said elsewhere that no chef anywhere in the world can ever put anything on a plate better than a crispy buttery mustardy bacon sandwich. :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to β€œThe Galley”