What's for breakfast

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

DotD, Super Sugar Crisp was after just plain Sugar Crisp. (Ye gods, I'm old....)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

O-- but now it's "Honey Crisp", right? As if.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Y'know, I had to google it. :lol: It's now Golden Crisp....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

mmmm Bibimbap for breakfast today. I'm hoping this becomes a Sunday tradition :D
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Stonemaybe wrote:mmmm Bibimbap for breakfast today. I'm hoping this becomes a Sunday tradition :D
That looks amazing! Send us a recipe! (I imagine there are literally a ton of them, I'd just like to know where to start!)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Orlion wrote:
Stonemaybe wrote:mmmm Bibimbap for breakfast today. I'm hoping this becomes a Sunday tradition :D
That looks amazing! Send us a recipe! (I imagine there are literally a ton of them, I'd just like to know where to start!)
As you say, there are loads of ways to make it. Anything goes, within reason, but a must-have ingredient which might be difficult to get your hands on, is Gochujang, the Korean sweet-ish chili paste. Assuming you can get that...

What we had today - put your cooked rice in a bowl. Fried up some pancetta (cubed bacon) with sliced mushrooms and sliced courgette (zucchini). Put on top of rice. Added some sliced lettuce and sliced cucumber. Fried an egg and put that on top. Add gochujang to taste (lots for me please!). Then give it really good stir, breaking up the fried egg into bits amongst it all.

As that wiki article says though, you can just add anything. Rice + some veg + some meat + an egg + some sort of salad + gochujang.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

So this morning, I peeled and diced a small apple (either Gala or Fuji, I bought them forever ago and the tag's long gone :lol:) and a russet potato into maybe 1/2-inch chunks. Then I melted some butter in a frying pan on medium or medium-high heat and dumped the apple and potato chunks into it. After stirring it a bit, I sprinkled in about 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and a few shakes of cinnamon. Kept stirring 'til everything was nicely browned. Then put them on a plate and made scrambled eggs (with skim milk and a some freshly-ground pepper) and whole-wheat toast to go with. Mmmmmm.

If I'd had an onion, I would've cut it up and thrown that in with the apple and potato too. Oh well, it was still tasty without it.

EZ Board Survivor

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

that sounds serious ali... the apple and potato thing sounds like an odd mix, but I'm somewhat intrigued... partially because of the butter.

I'm outright envious of stonemaybe's meal!
...that he ate back in december... lol.
maybe I need to find a good supply of bacon ends near me.

Anyways, we had corn flakes with milk & coffee with milk. Hmmmmmm.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:that sounds serious ali... the apple and potato thing sounds like an odd mix, but I'm somewhat intrigued... partially because of the butter.
It does sound odd, doesn't it? But it works. White potatoes are simple carbs, just like the apple (and the onion, which will taste kind of sweet if you caramelize it). Back in the days when I was draconian about my eating habits, I would dress a baked potato with nothing but thyme. And a couple of years ago I had a slice of apple pie seasoned with thyme, and it was really good. Like, amazingly good. So it seemed like a no-brainer to mix them all together. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

For the past three months since I landed employment doing technology for a large online retailer, I have found that I do not have time for breakfast at home. By the time I get up, my morning ritual (Dam-sel's morning meds, making coffee and packing lunches for Dam-sel and me), I barely have time to groom, dress and run for the bus to work.

Consequently, the following has become my go-to breakfast to throw in my computer bag and eat during the first few hours at the office - a tub of greek yogurt (vanilla, honey, or plain) and a half-cup of blueberries.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Linna Heartbooger

ali- I really want to learn how to caramelize onions. i have 'thought of' learning this skill for years..

SD- sounds good for to-go.

Today we're having oats cooked up with raisins. Also, probably a couple scrambled eggs (possibly made in the microwave.)

Nat (my kiddo) says:
mom i want corn flakes not oats
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Linna, I'm sure I've caramelized onions before -- just not deliberately. :lol: So I'm not sure how to do it. But I bet someone else here knows.

EDITED to add: Ah, here's a recipe. I thought so -- basically you're just browning them in olive oil. But they need to cook for awhile.
simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/

EZ Board Survivor

Linna Heartbooger

mmm, still haven't done anything on the caramelized onions front...

anyways, today's breakfast - whole-wheat mango muffins... my hubby modified a recipe for vegan muffins (by adding back in the good stuff, i.e. egg, maybe milk) and made it with all whole-wheat (cause we ran out of unbleached/white flour!)
-Flannery O'Connor

Linna Heartbooger

Had cheese grits, and a little corn flakes with milk.

My 5-year-old didn't want grits, so he had some brown rice in place of them.

(I'm double-posting.. ohh noooo!)
-Flannery O'Connor

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

French guy at work is trying to sell me on 'Breton Galette's'. Apparently you make pancakes out of buck-wheat flour [which has a more savory taste than normal flour] then place warm ham, chesse [just melting], and on top a fried egg. Finally fold in the edges of the pancake so only the soft yolk of the egg remains on view. It's working; I'm off to Bruges tomorrow and the breakfast chef in that hotel better have his tecnique down! ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger

that sounds yummy...

Today, we had a casserole dish full of papaya (1 gigantic papaya, chopped) in a sweet eggy-custardy medium that was baked last night.

So I had that with 1 serving of oatmeal + homemade yogurt.

An amazing breakfast...

gonna have a whole-wheat scone now.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

deer sausage, eggs over hard and wheat toast.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Bacon sandwich, toast and sweet tea! Oh yes......!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Light tea flavoured smoked salmon with a poached egg. Toast and marmalade. :)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I guess technically it's lunch, but first meal of the day will be cold steak sandwiches. :D

--A

Return to “The Galley”