Random Science News Thread

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Truthfully, I was not aware that the Moon had any geological activity. I suppose that should be "lunological", but let's not split hairs. Anyway, I thought the only activity was the random meteor strike on its surface.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, never thought about it before, but news to me too. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

This is interesting.. signals astronomers sought for nearly two decades to explain ... traced back to the observatorys microwave oven

https://m.sfgate.com/science/article/So ... 307-tbla-3
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Truthfully, I was not aware that the Moon had any geological activity. I suppose that should be "lunological", but let's not split hairs. Anyway, I thought the only activity was the random meteor strike on its surface.
You may not have known it...but you could certainly have expected it if you thought about it. If for no other reason than that the moon, even in it's locked state, undergoes tidal stresses because it orbits so sometimes is "tugged" the same direction by earth and sun, and sometimes in opposite direction.

Moonquakes, I'm pretty sure, were detected by instruments left from the landing decades ago.

It must have been violent as hell back closer to the beginning...when its core was still molten, and it was closer to us, not tidally locked.

Sky...that's funny. At least they knew it WAS interference and not some signal...and it shows the amazing sensitivity of the instruments.
But reminds me of when a friend of mine set up a recording studio...it took us MONTHS to track down and stifle all the bullshit crap fucking things up. It's annoying as hell.
Of course, back then it was a mix of analog and early digital...everybody's amps would pick up random radio stations and shit. The stone age, so to speak.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Researchers at the University of Arizona discover that Saturn's moon Titan has a linear methane ice structure that covers 40% of the satellite's circumference:

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/resear ... I9AIpUowQk
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wow Cord thats fascinating ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you, Skyweir. It apparently rains on Titan just like on Earth. Only it's methane, not water. And the linear ice structure is a mystery as to why its shape and length, for now.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

So much we dont truly understand about the universe we inhabit. I fantasise about trekking through the universes, going where none have gone before. Infinite experiences and learning as a prospect is rather exhilarating โ™ฅ๏ธ
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Ok anyone else find this just a bit creepy "spikes" ;I use the term loosely just because that is what the article cites, on back of skull because of cell phone usage.

www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/human ... ocid=ientp
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Robot traffic cop...notice this is video link - although there is captioning as well as sound.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/tr ... vi-AAATYS4
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

I know this is a serious concept ... indeed robot but in the video robo cop looks really flimsy and shakes as it waddles or rolls up to the window.

How many cops die pulling over drivers in road traffic stops?
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Well, this could be cool---
A way to deal with many [not all obviously] of the problems people worry about with Genetic Mods, but RNA instead of DNA. It doesn't change them, just makes them work better/correctly. [sorta]
Could cure a bunch of illnesses by
HAH!

KILLING THE MESSENGER!!

[not exactly true but close enough that it's a decent joke..in reality it seems to work by changing the messengers message....or by stopping the corruption of the "Telephone Game"].

https://singularityhub.com/2019/07/24/e ... -diseases/
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not really news so much as simply cool facts:

Apparently the Cern particle accelerator ring is so big that were it not for magnets that maintain it's shape it would be pulled this way and that, as with the tides, by the gravitational effect of the moon.

And when they say it can accelerate particles up to nearly the speed of light they mean it; to about 6km per hour, or about jogging speed, short of it!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Good link Z! :D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

On which subject, a studio has opened up in my town offering VR sessions of a number of different varieties by the hour - so it may be on the cusp of breaking into our lives wholesale at last!

(Aside: I've also seen my first 'bitcoin ATM' this week so ditto for this.)

On the subject of galaxies, and hearing your talk of clusters and super-clusters Z, I'm reminded that in terms of stars and galaxies, while at the stellar level the universe is a huge swathe of nothingness with unimaginable voids between the stars, from a further back position looking at galaxies, the place is absolutely teeming! (The difference between Mongolian steps and a street in Hong Kong). How, in such crowded conditions, do they decide what constitutes a cluster of super-cluster if not on the basis of gravitational cohesion? Surely if you don't apply this as the defining characteristic, you run the risk of making arbitrary groupings, like say the way you can 'invent' the Bermuda triangle with a ruler and pencil (just about anywhere come to that) that have no other connection than your saying that they do?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I am very interested in these type of things and would not mind a different thread. However, I am more of interested observer than someone that can add anything valuable to any conversations.

But would still like discussions one by one. I just read the first Fermi bubbles and was like wow!

The question that comes to my mind just reading that is there something unique in a black hole that could maintain a "grip" (sorry not a scientist) to hold these two bubbles.

In other words my possible theory is one bubble was created X period and got "caught" by black hole. Second bubble was created y period and just coincidentally was "caught" by the same black hole?

PS some work weeks are busier than others so I may not have chances to remark in this yet to be created thread in a reliable matter but would still read it with great interest!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ditto; the designated thread idea is tip-top!

I'll check out the Great Attractor Z. (Great name as well! :) )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Scientists develop glove that translates sign language to speech

https://www.blackbusiness.com/2019/05/r ... kyMCfA&m=1
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

French scientist invents machine to deconstruct plastic into gasoline and diesel

https://returntonow.net/2019/09/01/fren ... 1jqHAthAKY
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to โ€œThe Loresraatโ€