Syl's "why is nobody talking about this" thread

Archive From The 'Tank
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Syl's "why is nobody talking about this" thread

Post by [Syl] »

AKA, Limbaugh's an asshole.

Discuss.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

We all agree on it, what's to discuss?

It's like saying Moore's an asshole, or Carvelle is an asshole, or O'Reiley's an asshole There isn't much dissent.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Actually, I just wanted to point out the disparity between this and Kerry's 'dumb soldiers' gaffe.

But I'm also pretty sure there are at least a couple posters in the Tank that listen to Rush.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No doubt.

FWIW, I hadn't heard his latest "phony soldiers" gaffe when I posted. I thought you were just stirring the pot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

at least O'Reilly goes after child molesters. Rush has no such redeeming qualities that I have seen.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. I suppose I should've thrown in the obligatory links.

Here's the Fox News version.

Here's the Media Matters version.

The Media Matters one has a lot more of the transcript, and I think that's really necessary to see that, IMO, the outrage is justified. Interesting, since the Kerry thing was the other way around.
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I missed the whole thing actually.
I only like Rush in small doses.
I just did a quick read on it but can't find the exact Rush quote in context.
I'm betting that he's right, whatever he said.
Liberals are so thin skinned!

Sen Tom Harking has the best line though ‘Maybe Limbaugh was high on drugs again.’.
:lol:

Although, it's pretty scary that a private citizen can be verbally roasted in the Senate like that.
Is that a common thing?
I have no idea.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

And it looks like Melanie Morgan (whoever the hell that is) is getting in on the fun too.

HLT, for the most part, I don't think congress should really concern themselves with him that much. But they could do a lot better than a weak-wristed condemnation. They could (should) pull him off of the Armed Forces Radio Network.
-George Steiner
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

at least now we have proof of who really hates the troops.
HLT wrote:I'm betting that he's right, whatever he said.
Last edited by The Laughing Man on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

again the right gets us bogged down with this crap. supporting soldiers does not mean supporting the war. being anti-war does not mean being anti-soldier. but still we let the admin define the arguments for us.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I'm just going to note that while I find Rush pretty boring, I do (or did) listen to Mike Savage a lot. Didn't particularly agree with him, but he was quality entertainment.

Like the article on Morgan says, it's funny that these pundits are saying "oh no, he was just talking about one soldier" and then try to apply the thing broadly. I guess they don't see the inherent contradiction there?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Does anybody still listen to Rush Limbaugh?
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: Although, it's pretty scary that a private citizen can be verbally roasted in the Senate like that. Is that a common thing? I have no idea.
That is what is disturbing. That our Congress has so little to do that they concern themselves with something that Rush Limbaugh says. I am really glad that they wasted time doing that. I feel our country is a much better place now that they have addressed this very important issue. :roll:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, much better they set their sights on the true enemies like moveon.org. ;)
-George Steiner
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Syl wrote:Yeah, much better they set their sights on the true enemies like moveon.org. ;)
are they doing that too?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

They were all in an uproar over MoveOn's "General Betray-Us" ad in the New York Times.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Lord Mhoram wrote:They were all in an uproar over MoveOn's "General Betray-Us" ad in the New York Times.
Oh come on, at least it's an attempt at clever wordplay. "Phony soldiers" has such an ugly ring to it.

Since politics is so centered around mudslinging already, why not start awarding points for how clever the insults are?
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Congress addressing moveon.org.....is that in another thread around here? :)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I don't know about congress as far as stuff they've said in the capital, but here's an article which seems to be about the same "betrayus" thing. Both Edwards' wife and a senator from Iowa comment.
desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... /1001/LIFE
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

I understood that Rush's comment was directed at a soldier who claimed to be in Afgan/Iraq and made some slanderous comments against other soldiers, etc and who was later found to be lying in all accounts (was a soldier but never went to Afgan/Iraq); in fact I think the guy is in jail for serious mis-statements and fraud (taking money for interviews of stuff he was lying about). I don't have the full picture of what this guy has done to end up in jail. Anyway, that is the "phony soldier" Rush was talking about and the dems are taking advantage of it; can't blame them since they need to re-direct the image that they are not behind winning this war effort. ABC news did the same story about the guy, calling it "Phoney Heroes" and nothing came of that from the Dems. All interesting stuff. Rush can go or stay, but I think this is an issue were Rush is misquoted and/or taken out of context and/or Rushing to judgement.

Come on, do you really think Rush ment to demean all soldiers? Reid has by saying how the army can't win this war some months ago and he got in some hot water for that comment...and that was honestly tons worse coming from a senator that some comment by a radio talkin head. Both my lib brothers are afraid of Rush and seems like so are the dems and some folks here. Why is that? ;)
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.

Return to “Coercri”