Was anyone else disappointed by Roger's fate?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'd love to read a chapter from Foul's point of view.
Signed, "Your affectionate uncle, Lord Foul"

:D
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Disappointed? No.

Intrigued? Yes.

Spoiler
Roger has been tainted by Foul for most of his life. Although he is apparently working with the Despiser, Roger seems to be a pawn/co-conspirator with Kastenessen at this point. When he realizes that his father is alive, I think he will abandon any other goal and seek only his father's death, along with his ring

[mod edit]
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Earthpower
Servant of the Land

Post by Earthpower »

Here is a quote that might come in to play from Thomas. "There is only one way to hurt someone who has lost everything -- give him back something broken." I think this fits with both Roger and Joan.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

yeah..I was hoping for Roger to save Joan and travel with linden through the land. instead it looks like he was a very short lived Pawn. Havent Read FR yet so i dont know if he made the journey to the land.
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

When I first read Runes, I thought that Roger had been possessed by a Raver. I'm still not quite sure how he ended up being so evil. Surely Joan wasn't that bad of a mother?

Considering his upbringing, I'd expect Roger to be troubled, but not a completely sociopathic murderer. I suppose it's possible that he blamed himself for his parents' separation – Joan filed for divorce in an attempt to protect Roger from Covenant's leprosy. He would probably have picked up on that...
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Also, he was partly raised in the Community of Retribution, which is (somehow) controlled by Foul... that could definitely mess you up, and Foul was probably manipulating him from very early on.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

The Dude
Servant of the Land

Post by The Dude »

Roger, Joan and the other members of the Community of Retribution were all touched by Lord Foul in some way. In Joan's case it was outright possession in the Second Chronicles, then endless torment in the Last Chronicles. In Roger's case it's more subtle manipulation. Perhaps Foul has shown him visions of the power he might possess within the Land, so that Roger would think he was serving himself while he worked the Despiser's will. In these grandiose visions of himself Roger seems to have become a miniature despiser himself, he holds other beings in utter contempt.

Despite all of Roger's "lovable" traits I strongly prefer him as a character to Linden.
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

Am I the only one who wants Roger to meet Elena (somehow)? I can't even imagine how they would react to each other.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”