The Power That Preserves: Chapters 1 & 2

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

caamora
The Purifier

The Power That Preserves: Chapters 1 & 2

Post by caamora »

Chapter 1: The Danger In Dreams

The third and final book of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant opens with TC back in his house. He is in bed dreaming and he is awakend by a phone call from his lawyer who warns him that the people of his little hamlet are upset with him for his last little escapade into town and they are looking to take legal action against him to get him ousted from their territory. She says that, although she dislikes him, "...just thinking about you makes me squirm..."she feels it is her duty to warn him that what the townfolk are doing is illegal and that they are going to try to have Haven Farm zoned for industrial use which would make his property prohibited.

TC, mistaking her for Elena and still in a drowsy haze, tries to apologize for not helping her. Uninterested in anything his lawyer has to say, he hangs up on her. After realizing he has slept for 30 hours, he walks around his house in a haze, reliving what has occurred in the Land - his guilt eating away at him as sure as his leporsy does. He attempts to call Joan but cannot remember the number. She wouldn't forgive him anyway for not answering her the first time, he reckons. He toys with the idea of calling the doctors and going back to the leprosarium but denies the urge. He sees himself as a lost soul. If ever there was a time when TC would have committed suicide, this is it. He is at his lowest point.

He desperately needs - something. He calls information to get the number of the bar where the girl called him "Berek." He gets her on the phone where she informs him that she DID NOT say "Berek" but "Berrett." He calls the Department of Defense to look up ol' Hile Troy and meets a dead end. No Hile Troy.

The major hesitated, then said, "Mr. Covenant, we have no blind men in this department. Could you give me the source of your information? I'm afraid you're the victim of-"
Abruptly, Covenant was shouting, ragin. "He fell out of a window when his apartment caught fire, and he was killed! He never even existed!"

In fury and rage, TC demolishes his house, no longer able to contain himself. He runs out of his house to the shed where he used to use as a writing room and finds that it has been vandalized, and not by him. He stops in his tracks and says to himself I am not a violent man. I think this is a very interesting insight into our boy Tom!

He flees into the woods and finds himself on the outskirts of town, unable to deny his need for people. He is lonely and desperate, crying to himself "Help. Help me!" He moves in between the houses, searching for one, any one, which might offer him some faint possibility of consolation. My heart bleeds for Covenant in this part! He is so lost and lonely and unable to find sympathy.

During the next few days, TC decides to fast as he has done before. I think he uses this as a kind of settling move to get him re-focused on his reality (like how he shaves with a straight razor and his half-hand). He also denies himself sleep.
Guilt began in dreams.
However, every night he drove into town with the hope that he might have the courage to knock on someone's door and that someone would welcome him.

Then, one night, he hears sounds. He goes toward them to find a tent revival mass/meeting of christians. Everyone is praying for forgiveness. TC watches for a time to the tired, old reverend. The impression I get from this person is that he is a bible-beating con man. As this reverend preaches about sins and forgiveness and God's almighty power, TC moves to the front of the tent, asking for forgiveness, saying that he is ill and has committed crimes.
"Help my unbelief."
"Son, that is not enough. You know that's not enough." Dr. Johnson's sternness changed to righteous judgment. "Do not dare to mock God. He will cast you out forever. Do you believe? Do you believe in God's own health?"
"I do - "Covenant struggled to move his jaw, but his teeth clung together as if they had been fused by despair - "I do not believe
Then, he tells them he is a leper. With that, TC is hauled out of the meeting, falls to the grass, and finally gives into the urge to vomit. He goes back home and He had remembered hate He is angry. He sees a bag by his mailbox and remembers that yesterday was the day they dropped off food to him (to keep him from coming into town). He bites into a bun and is cut by a tarnished razor blade that someone had so kindly but there for him. He goes into the house and looks in the mirror and begins to laugh like a madman. He flees from his house yet again to the woods to find a child who is screaming because she is being threatened by a timber rattler. As TC moves down the slope toward her, he looses his footing and hits his head on a rock. He feels himself being summoned back to the Land. No! he cried. No! Not now! He could not fight it.

And thus ends the first chapter of The Power that Preserves. This chapter truly makes me despise the people of the town. Their cruelty is unsurpassed. Really, is Lord Foul so bad in comparison to the people of that town? Are they not evil? I also think that this chapter gives us a much better view of Covenant. Of his dispair and loneliness.

I will stop now. This is a long enough post as is! ;) I never seem to get the quote thing right even though I know how to use it! Stay tuned for the next chapter, Variol-son, coming soon.
The King has one more move.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Superb post, caam :)
It seems Covenant is so accustomed to being reviled that he naturally expects it. Isn't that part of his problem with the Land? They are so nice and genuine he can't really believe it. He also seems to have developed a very acute empathy for others while totally restrained his own emotions. I guess you would have to be in his case to survive.
Can't wait for the next chapter. ;)
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wow! What a passionate beginning! This has got to be one of THE most heartwrenching/heartbreaking chapters in the ENTIRE Chornicles! If the Land is a dream its almost a nescessary dream. You've got to escape this loneliness and sheer cruelty somehow...I didn't know how anyone could top the completely outstanding read-leads for TIW but somehow you did Caam. I'm speechless and dying for your next installment! 8O 8O 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Why, thank you, kind sirs! :)
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I agree. This was good, and I also think that this is one of the most disturbing parts of the chronicles. Mostly because it shows a piece of the "real" world that is acutely uncomfortable to consider.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Wonderful job, Lady Caam! I cannot wait for your next post! :D

That thing with the razor blade gets me every time! :x :x :x :x :x :x
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

danlo brought up sumthin id never thought of b4 & that is the notion that even if the land was a dream, wot it not an abusolutely necessary dream, kinda like his mind usin a dream 2 provide sumthin necessary 4 survival, in this case human contact & kindness, bcoz it is lackin in reality.

interest thought danlo, thanx 4 that.

& thanx caamora 4 an amazin post. as a christian i HATE this chapter, mostly coz i cant pretend that there arent christians out there who r jus like the ones that SRD protrays here. like u, i this chapter makes me despise the townsfolk, & 4 me that is so strong that i usually skip 2 chapter 2, which is 1 of my faves out of all 6 books.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Sorry it took me so long to get to this. My computer went down and I have been frantically trying to get it back up! Here we go......

Chapter 2: Variol-son

I love this chapter. It gives us Mhoram's pov and he is my favorite character. It opens with Mhoram in his private chambers in Revelstone contemplating what is happening in the Land as he studies the marrowmeld sculpture that Elena made of Covenant(Bannor). A foul (Foul? :wink: ) winter has decended on the Land and it is being felt in Revelstone.
On an almost subliminal level, Revelstone was huddling against the cold.
Spring is long overdue. Mhoram is aware that the Illearth Stone has made Foul truly powerful and over the last seven years, the Lords have accomplished nothing. Elena has been dead seven years and the strongest obstacle they had to fight the Despiser - The Staff of Law - has been lost. Also, and more saddening, is that Mhoram has lost his vision. He is no longer seer and oracle. Upon seeing the marrowmeld sculpture and hearing BAnnors account of what happened to Elena and the history of the marrowmeld sculpture, Mhoram lost his gift. As a result, he is estranged from the people of Revelstone as well as the other Lords.

The sculpture had taught him something else - the Ritual of Desecration and the mastery of High Lord Kevin's lore. However, he recognized the double-edged sword of knowledge and was afraid. During his year as First Mark, Bannor imparted much information to Mhoram that Mhoram believed to be intentional. I found this interesting that the Bloodguard had the info all the time while the Lords strived to no avail to find answers! Bannor had told him many things that his Vow wouldn't allow him to do under normal circumstances. Yet, Mhoram was afraid to share the info for fear that any one of the Lord's could enact the RoD. This knowledge violated the Oath of Peace. So, Mhoram was afraid and yet, desired very strongly to share the info with the other Lords. Mhoram's reverie is interrupted by Quaan who informs him that Revelwood is under attack. Lord Callindrill has remained at Revelwood to fight. Mhoram asks if Faer Callindrill-mate has been informed. They both know that Callindrill will die. Suddenly they are urgently summoned to the court to find Amatin with a Lomillialor communication rod and she is seeing what is happening to Callindrill at Revelwood. Mhoram assists her with his own staff and they witness the fall of Revelwood and Callindrill. Asuraka-Santansfist, the giant-raver, has burned Revelwood to the ground. Mhoram decides that things have gotten bad enough and they need help. He chooses to summon Thomas Covenant.

On his way through the keep, Mhoram encounters Trell who begs him not to do this. Mhoram, although understanding Trell's pain, feels he must summon the White Gold. Unfortunately, we see that Trell, who was once hale and hearty, is now a broken man, consumed with hatred and sadness. Seeing the Gravelingas only makes Mhoram more determined than ever to do what he thinks is the right thing. He reaches the Close. The other Lords are against anything that Mhoram does which irritates the hell out of me! They are the ones who have no belief! They have no trust in Mhoram, no trust in themselves or the Land. Borillar is the only one who supports Mhoram and who trusts TC. So, without the Staff of Law, Mhoram attempts to summon the Unbeliever.

(I cannot to justice to this next part of the book! It so rivets me every time I read it!)
Mhoram begins with a song and allows himself to be caught up on a wave of power. He travels through time and space and sees the White Gold - and Thomas Covenant.

It was unmistakable; the Unbeliever's presence covered the chaste circlet like an aura, bound it, sealed up its power. And the aura itself ached with anguish.

Is this why Mhoram repeatedly tells TC that he is the white gold? He catches hold of TC and starts to pull him into the Close. As he reaches the Close, TC becomes faintly visible. But he is in sorry shape. He is starving and wounded and Mhoram is shocked by the sight of him. TC is yelling, "Not now! Let me go!" TC resists so strongly.
"Covenant!" Mhoram groaned. "Oh Covenant." In his fatigue, he feared that he would not be able to hold back his weeping. "You are in hell. Your world is a hell."
TC again begs to be released. Mhoram pleads with him, telling him of their plight - the seven years of no progress, the unnatural winter, and -worst of all - the loss of the Bloodguard. The prophecy of Lord Foul is upon them. TC shoots back with a little girl who will die if he doesn't save her. His resistance to Mhoram astounds Mhoram.
In the back of his mind, Mhoram marveled that Covenant could so grimly deny the summoning without employing the power of his ring.
TC is certainly one stubborn man! Mhoram makes the hardest decision in his life - to let the Unbeliever go. He releases TC but says one last thing -
i]You[/i] are the white gold."
Mhoram collapses in exhaustion.
Through his sorrow, he heard Trevor say, "High Lord - the krill - the gem of the krill came to life. It burned as it did when the Unbeliever first placed it within the table." Mhoram blinked back his tears. Leaning heavily on his staff, he moved to the table. In its center, Loric's krill stood like a dead cross - as opaque and fireless as if it had lost all possiblity of light. A rage of grief came over Mhoram. With one hand, he grasped the hilt of the silver sword.
A fleeting blue gleam flickered across its gem, then vanished.
"It has no life now," he said dully.
Then he left the Close and went to the sacred enclosure to sing for Covenant and Callindrill and the Land.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Very well done! :D caam

At this point I realized that the Oath of Peace was a sort of ignorant bliss. They were protected with it but weak. The marrowmeld statue showed Mhoram the passion and guilt of the Land. The "all or nothing" mentality of Covenant and Bannor made him realize restraint from power was futile with the siege of Revelstone. I remember a certain creation of Kevin saying that desecration came to any willing hand.
Truly Covenant's world does seem to be a hell yet it is the only world he trusts or is willing to accept.
What would Covenant be without Mhoram?
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

Excellent point, Kinslaughterer!

The people of The Land had effectively closed themselves off from many of the emotions that made the expression of power possible. I have often heard the observation that emotions themselves are neither good not evil unless they are placed in some context. It is in the full range of emotions that power is expressed, both for good and for evil.

SRD himself, in a quote I cannot immediately attribute to a specifc character, makes this point well:
Despair is an emotion like any other. It is the habit of despair that damns, not the despair itself
This chapter also contains my favorite Mhoram quote of all time:
We will not be undone by such motives
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Could the Ritual of Desecration be a natural expression of Earthpower, like a volcano or something, which is only "evil" if invoked without proper caution?
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

or maybe without proper motivation. we c mhoram usin the knowledge 2 aid tohrm against trell in the close, & again 2 kill satansfist, & the world wasnt destroyed either of those times. i luv mhoram 4 lettin TC go, he demonstrates that life anywhere is precious. i always felt that many ppl in the land cared nuthin 4 wot TC faced wen he returned 2 his own world, most didnt even bother 2 ask & find out which i always found amazin. by releasin TC, & by assertin that such motives will not work against the land, mhoram shows that he is cut from different cloth. even in the middle of the lands darkest hours, he can think of lives that have little or nuthin 2 do with him. this is wot makes him, i believe, a great man & a great leader of the land.

sum sui generis

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

very well said, Variol Son!
And in fact,
Spoiler
I have always felt that in letting TC go, Mhoram saves the Land. If TC had stayed, he might not have ever had the chance to travel to Foul's Creche -- he would have probably been trapped in the siege of Revelstone. And to me, saving that child is what begins to turn TC's depression and despair around...
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

yeah, its like its the act that helps him 2 put the madness of chapter 1 behind him.

Spoiler
i always luvd it @ the end of chap 3 how he calls out 2 mhoram, tellin the high lord that he is ready, & askin him 2 summon him bak 2 the land now.
its like once he fullfilled 1 set of responsabilities, he could finally begin 2 look @ the other set.

sum sui generis

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I couldn't agree more with you! This chapter is what makes Mhoram my favorite character. His goodness shines through in every gesture, word, or action he takes.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Outstanding points and a great post srtrout!

I barely missed the Vietnam draft and have no idea how I found myself in the Navy 5 years later...when I woke up and remembered my vow of ahimsa the I wandered around in hell 4 2 years. Events nowadays don't really make folks question the depths of their souls like they used 2. But SRD, TC and Mhoram serve 2 keep us on our toes!
fall far and well Pilots!
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Post by srtrout »

One of the most moving parts of all of the Chronicles for me is when Mhoram reveals that he has found that their weakness is what they thought was their strength, the Oath of Peace. He feels this has kept them from understanding Kevin's wards. He is honest enough, and has become brave enough, to question the very foundation of their belief and integrity.

When considering this, I feel it is important to recall that SRD was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war. Surely he is putting some of the emotion of that difficult part of his life into this chapter. Although I can certainly respect the courage that goes into making the decision to become a conscientious objector, I can also imagine that there must be times when COs either doubt their committment to non-violence, or at least can see the difficulties in it. I have met some who feel violence is absolutely never the answer to any problem ( as with Thomas Covenant in the latter parts of the books!) but most of us have some doubt about that even if we favor peaceful solutions.

A bigger theme here is just the doubt that we all must face. Thomas Covenant proclaims his "unbelief", which the Lords first find hard to comprehend and later criticize. While blind faith may not be the best answer to life's problems, doubt can also make walking forward difficult. Here we see Mhoram as the first Lord to really "doubt" their basic faith, and thus he joins Thomas Covenant as another Unbeliever!

Do we have the courage to question our deepest held beliefs? Can we find truth in doing so, or do we just destroy the faith we need so badly? This is the dilemma SRD has posed for us in this brilliant chapter.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

wow, mhoram as another unbeliever. i never saw it that way. so both he & TC have 2 come 2 their own different realizations of power in their own ways.
Spoiler
4 mhoram its that passion is not the only releasing emotion & that luv of the land can b used 2 wield the earthpower, & 4 TC its that the land is worth fightin & dyin 4, whether it exists or not.
i luv this book! :D

sum sui generis

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Great discussion so far folks!!!

I can' say how much I love chapter 2. Yes, Callindrill, that is also my favorite Mhoram quote. So good that I'll quote it again!
You turn from us to save life in your own world. We will not be undone by such motives.
There isn't a word in the English language to express the joy and respect I feel for Mhoram's courage and faith!!!! This was a big a victory for him as any other!!

And on top of that, let's throw in:
The Haruchai yet live within their mountain fastness. In their way, they know the name of the Earthpower more surely than any Lord.
And:
"We provide the meaning of our own lives. If we serve the Land purely to the furthest limit of our abilities, what more can we ask of ourselves?"
How brilliant IS this guy?!?!

And, of course, there's the fact that he figures out the incompability between the Oath of Peace and Kevin's Lore. Though I don't think he doubt his convictions, as I think has been suggested. I think it's more like, "Damn! Why does this conviction that I will not abandon have to be the 'problem'? Oh well, we'll have to figure something out." Yes, he understands how the Oath limits them in this specific way, but we know that he doesn't think that specific way is the only way.

I also love that he realizes the disservice he does to the others by withholding his knowledge.
By keeping the secret to himself, he prevented Callindrill and Amatin and Trevor and Loerya and every Lorewarden or student of the Staff from finding within themselves the strength to refuse Desecration; he placed himself falsely in the position of a judge who had weighed them and found them wanting.
Mhoram has damned few flaws and weakesses, but he doesn't hide from them when they come along!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Yes, Mhoram really shines in TPTP. Almost like a definite contrast to TC.

Return to “1st Chronicles”