:clap: :lol:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Joining In

Post by Dorian »

Halal_Kebab wrote:Hi All

I heard Dorian was planning on taking you all on solo - so I thought I might join in and lend a hand!
Hahaha nothing like old allies!!! I tell you what, you invade from the south and Ill go to the north. Dont worry about the mines and the blood baths, its only temporary tehehe
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Where's our rules? :biggrin:
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote:Where's our rules? :biggrin:
Patience, patience . . .
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Montressor wrote:
Balon wrote:Where's our rules? :biggrin:
Patience, patience . . .
Isn't something I have in very large amounts.... :P
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote:
Isn't something I have in very large amounts.... :P
You wouldn't have made much of a Roman . . .

The first entry of the rules, which is simply the game concept and rules summary has been posted. Each night I shall add a new section. Easily finishing it by the end of the week. I think it sinks in easier this way.

As I've noted elsewhere, could players please refrain from comment on the rules (in the rules thread) until after I have fnished posting them? Comments are welcome here, or by PM to me, of course. :)

Oh, and I really wish I could give the artist of that marvellous painting dredit, only - I have no idea who's responsible (I found it on a free site on the net). Whoever they are, they have my thanks.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

YAY!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

More rules added.

The rules will actually be very brief. It's in the playing that complexities will begin to show. At its heart, this game is about exploration and survival.

Game history will become apparent when I do the first post in the Game Thread, in case people were wondering.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I'm liking how this is turning out. It's got a good feel to it with the Order system.
These shall be detailed to each individual player after they have selected their faction type. In the case of constructing or recruiting items available on the list, a player MUST fulfil the individual requirements.
Does this mean there will be a base list for each Faction, and then we'll be able to ALSO customize the list with whatever specific details we have that make our own idea unique? Or are we building the list from the ground up?
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote: I'm liking how this is turning out. It's got a good feel to it with the Order system.
Thanks. It's an intergral part of the game. It's also a way of balancing players who have vast territories with those who do not. Command and Control, and The Tyranny of Distance . . .

Balon wrote:Does this mean there will be a base list for each Faction, and then we'll be able to ALSO customize the list with whatever specific details we have that make our own idea unique? Or are we building the list from the ground up?
There will be a base list for each faction. Most of the things on the list will be fairly generic. The player can decide exactly what a "Mechanic" or "Militia" might mean to their own conception, although the stats will remain the same for balance and ease of play reasons.

Depending on a player's own idea, I may also give them some individual options. Players will also begin with one thing that no other player (even one from the same faction type) has.

There are also A LOT of items which may become available to players which are not on their lists. This depends largely on exploration and interaction in the Wasteland.
Last edited by Montresor on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Montressor wrote:Thanks. It's an intergral part of the game. It's also a way of balancing players who have vast territories with those who do not. Command and Control . . .
Yes! That's what I was thinking of. It's a GOOD idea. Let's a lot of ideas float around that would normally not be effective, if it was unbalanced.

Montressor wrote: There will be a base list for each faction. Most of the things on the list will be fairly generic. The player can decide exactly what a "Mechanic" or "Militia" might mean to their own conception, although the stats will remain the same for balance and ease of play reasons.

Depending on a player's own idea, I may also give them some individual options. Players will also begin with one thing that no other player (even one from the same faction type) has.
That's cool.
Montressor wrote: There are also A LOT of items which may become available to players which are not on their lists. This depends largely on exploration and interaction in the Wasteland.
YES. Very excellent. Looking forward to the next set.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Sorry, but haven't been able to do an entry tonight (very busy with research and writing a report for my supervisors) . . . I will try to do two tomorrow. I will definitely do the entry on settlements tomorrow night, though.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

New details up. A lengthy entry, but I don't think it'll need much more than one reading.

Not much more to go.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Some special items may also have to be taken back to settlements.
Can you inercept the untis returning with the item, kill them, and take it for yourself?
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote:
Can you inercept the untis returning with the item, kill them, and take it for yourself?
Absolutely. Furthermore, after any fight, there is a chance you will be able to salvage the armaments of your slain enemies.

Oh and, please note, I added a crucial bit of info to the Movement orders: Units which are grouped together under a 'company' (see upcoming ORGANISATION rules), always moves at the speed of its slowest element.

Companies etc will be much clearer soon.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Added a new rule section, and also edited the section on settlements to include:

TAKING AND LOSING TERRITORIES

Once resources are taken to a settlement, they become part ofan overall 'pool'. It is not necessary to know which settlement holds exactly what amount of resources. Players may assume that, if they need 5 Scrap at one location for construction, and they have at least 5 in their overall pool, they can use those resources at any settlement they own. If the home base id taken, the player will automatically lose 50% of all resources. If a player has only one other settlement, the loss will be 75%. If any other settlement is lost, they will lose a proportion of 50% (i.e., if they had 5 other settlements besides the home base, they would lose 10% of their resources.
Last edited by Montresor on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Added two new rules sections. The most important section of the rules is the ORDERS section. Essentially, all a player actually needs to read to play is the orders section and their own faction details, which shall be sent privately. The preceeding sections can be referenced for more detail on certain rules.

There is only one more section to write, which will be an example of play. The rules for Borderlands (I hope) are very straightforward. They may even seem to be sparse. This is because a lot of the game's flavour and complexity will come as a result of what players actually find in the explorations of the Waste. The Devil, as they say, is in the detail . . .

If all players could please email me some brief faction information as soon as possible, that would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide what individual perks I shall give each player. Every player shall have something completely unique so, the more detail you can give me, the easier it will be for me to decide.

Players are welcome to wait until I write the first 'history entry' (which should be in a few days) before deciding anything.
Shadow Strike
Stonedownor

Post by Shadow Strike »

Sign me up gov, seeing as Dorian don't have the shelter dwellers to himself anymore, I'll go with nomads
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Will do me ol' China. Waste Nomads it is.

That's 6 players which, I think, is an ideal number. If anyone really, really wants to join, I could take one other player - however, I will assume there are no more challengers and lock registration off here.

I am aiming at 'starting' the game by Friday next week. I will process turns every two weeks - faster if I can - and keep it in an alternate week to Empires. I may process slightly faster at times, perhaps at the beginning.

The registered players are:

Loremaster - Cultists
Balon - Waste Nomads
Murrin - Waste Nomads
Shadowstrike - Waste Nomads
Dorian - Shelter Dwellers
Halal Kebab - Shelter Dwellers

A nice spread. Congrats to Loremaster for seemingly monopolising the cultist faction.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Montressor, will you be posting a Game summary each turn? This story interests me highly, and I think I would like to lurk. I will admit I'll be pulling for Lore at the start, as my only real exposure to post-apocalyptic settings is A Canticle for Liebowitz...

Although Balon, you may win me over with the First Native tribe.

Return to “Borderlands”