Borderlands - New Game Suggestion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

that message was when you posted as mister bean and me and shawn were like "wtf"

Then i noticed it was you
Cobalt
Ramen

Post by Cobalt »

Test
“A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.”
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I'm very impressed by the ideas floating around here so far. I'm also impressed by those nice looking avatars.

The first draft of the rules should be finished by the end of the weekend, so now's the time to put in some rules input if you like. In particular, I'd like to know from the players what they would like to see in the game (this could be anything from event/location types, to suggested rules mechanics). I can't make any promises that your cherished wish will make it into the game (I have the constraints of balance and speed of processing to think about), however, I will do my level best to accomodate everyone.

So, feel free to make suggestions :)
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

Excellent.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I want it to be a rule that all Indian and gas mask wearing priests suffer severe penalties when fighting fascists
Cobalt
Ramen

Post by Cobalt »

Montressor wrote:In particular, I'd like to know from the players what they would like to see in the game (this could be anything from event/location types, to suggested rules mechanics).

(all musings I have floating around)
--radiation mutant raids
--wandering plague ridden crazies
--artificial inteligences? Like in the postman, maybe? But that would be more like an NPC faction
--mutant (seemingly) prehistoric beasts.
--pyscic powers (telepathy, telekenisis, remote viewing, etc...)
--sybiotic relationship with another creature
“A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.”
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

To respond to these individually:
the Patwa wrote: (all musings I have floating around)
--radiation mutant raids

There will be raids and such. There will also be NPCs suffering long-term, even generational, effects of radiation - whether this is what people traditionally think of as rad-mutants will remain to be seen.
the Patwa wrote: --wandering plague ridden crazies
There'll be crazies, without a doubt. As for plague-ridden . . . it's quite likely.
the Patwa wrote: --artificial inteligences? Like in the postman, maybe? But that would be more like an NPC faction
There will be no artificial intelligences in the Cyberdine sense. However, there are one or more possible encounters/locations which will incorporate AI in one sense or another. This may be surprising . . .
the Patwa wrote: -mutant (seemingly) prehistoric beasts.
I've never been a fan of the giant rad-scorpion type adversary in these settings. You won't see any creature which is a giant form of its contemporary self. However, do expect to see hostile animals perhaps in abundance. Some might be a little bizarre, others more familiar.
the Patwa wrote: --pyscic powers (telepathy, telekenisis, remote viewing, etc...)
Hmmmmm
the Patwa wrote: --sybiotic relationship with another creature
Probably not.

Nice suggestions, feel free to add more. In response to your PM request, I'll pose the question to the other players:

Who wants to see a flaws and perks system in faction generation? I was going to give some choice to plares re: starting forces and structures, though I could expand this if others want.

And, no, Dorian, Indians and Gas-Mask wearing Priests will not get a negative when facing fascists. Even though fascists always have the coolest uniforms.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Montressor wrote:
And, no, Dorian, Indians and Gas-Mask wearing Priests will not get a negative when facing fascists. Even though fascists always have the coolest uniforms.
What a load of shit. Wheres the realism?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Montressor wrote: Nice suggestions, feel free to add more.
Thanks! Only one more I can think of, if we're doing this in a turn submission/summary type system, could we include what season it is? I would think that (particularly) in this kind of game the differences between high summer and low winter would affect what we do each turn greatly.
Dorian wrote:
Montressor wrote:
What a load of shit. Wheres the realism?
:haha:
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

what follows is the founder of my group. A mister Dorian. Ten points if you can figure out the nationality of the camo im wearing

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Russian.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote: Thanks! Only one more I can think of, if we're doing this in a turn submission/summary type system, could we include what season it is? I would think that (particularly) in this kind of game the differences between high summer and low winter would affect what we do each turn greatly.
Ah, well, it's always been my intention to have each turn represent a week. There's a chance I might make that a month. If it's the former, keeping track of seasons might be arbitrary. If it's the latter, I'll give seasonal advice.

In either case, environmental effects will play a large part of this game. I intend for part of the wasteland to still be covered in poisoned winds, some areas to be heavily irradiated, and all places to be prone to acid rain and so on.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Loremaster wrote:Russian.
Close, but no Cigar. The pattern was designed originally by russia, but theres a few thing son that uniform that show, whilst its russian camo, its not a russian uniform.

A further ten points if you can name the type of unit as well. C'mon I know theres a few military buffs here, and a few closet communists
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Czech
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

nope
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I know, though I have been forbidden to say. What's that? A stalker? (hint, hint)

Also, I fell a bit behind this weekend, though the rules are coming along at a good pace. 1st draft rules, plus all the events and locations should be done by the end of the week.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Starting tomorrow, I shall begin to write up the rules online. Please refrain from commenting on them in the rules thread until I am done. You can always PM me about them, or ask here.

The rules will be kept to a 'need-to-know' basis. Factions will have generic information regarding units and structures, but only those players who take a faction will know exactly what they can do.

Furthermore, I will not upload the map until the 4th or 5th turn. This is to preserve some of the mystery. Players will be able to communicate to each other through a convenient 'plot' device, however.

Finally, when turns are processed, I shall present some of the information in the context of a historical document, written years after events portrayed in the game. Anything mentioned in the documents, however, should be considered common knowledge by the players.

After the rules are completed, I shall give everyone one week to submit their faction details to me, and to decide on starting units, characters etc.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

So there'll be a rule's thread, but only with all the public knowledge and game wokrings? All the specs, will be specific to the people who chose them. I like that. Keeps everything sneaky.
Halal_Kebab
Servant of the Land

Joining In

Post by Halal_Kebab »

Hi All

I heard Dorian was planning on taking you all on solo - so I thought I might join in and lend a hand!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Welcome, Halal.

Good to have you on board. This time you should rest assured that God won't be on your side, so things might just work out alright.

Decided yet on a faction, or still mulling it over?

Return to “Borderlands”