Wow. Now we're talk'n!

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Wow. Now we're talk'n!

Post by kevinswatch »

Chapter 3 of FR was single handedly better than all of Runes.

Drunk Covenant + Linden Bashing = Fun for the whole family!

Oh, and the story is finally starting to get interesting.

Anyway, back to avoiding this forum. I don't want to run accross any spoilers.-jay
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

prepare thyself by placing the refigerator in the bathroom along with FR...you will need nothing else until end of book..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

dang jay! 8O you're actually reading FR in a timely manner!! 8O
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

1 chapter in 1 week doesn't seem very timely, heh.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Oooh! See, I knew you'd like it, Jay! :biggrin:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

kevinswatch wrote:1 chapter in 1 week doesn't seem very timely, heh.
You've exceeded your 1 page per week rate of reading! Glad you like it!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

/bets Kevin has really read the whole book. :P
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Well.....

I don't yet have the money to buy FR...but i advance-reserved it from the library. I got it, and once my girlfriend got home, we put the kids to bed, I nuked some leftovers and sat my butt in the chair and read that thing. Four hours later, i got up, mind reeling. i've got a theory about the Insequent..I inadvertently posted in in another forum, had be told of my error (thanks Emotional Leper).
Spoiler
look at their name..Insequent. In, the prefix meaning "not" Sequent, in order. Not in order. With teh emphasis on temporal continuity, I think the Insequent are a people from the future, maybe End of Time, who used their Lore (non-Law type) to travel back into the far past. A bad experience (maybe most of their people got wiped out by one?) with Elohim sets up their rivalry/antagonism. And they are making sure that history unfolds correctly to avoid paradox. Just a thought.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Re: Wow. Now we're talk'n!

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

kevinswatch wrote:Chapter 3 of FR was single handedly better than all of Runes.

Anyway, back to avoiding this forum. I don't want to run accross any spoilers.-jay
Okay, now I'm genuinely interested. Can I borrow the book when you're done? Wait, I bet it'll be out in paperback by then. ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Wow. Now we're talk'n!

Post by Ur Dead »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:Chapter 3 of FR was single handedly better than all of Runes.

Okay, now I'm genuinely interested. Can I borrow the book when you're done? Wait, I bet it'll be out in paperback by then. ;)
I got the hard cover book at Barnes and Nobles for about $22. It had 20% marked off.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Spoiler:
Spoiler
look at their name..Insequent. In, the prefix meaning "not" Sequent, in order. Not in order. With teh emphasis on temporal continuity, I think the Insequent are a people from the future, maybe End of Time, who used their Lore (non-Law type) to travel back into the far past. A bad experience (maybe most of their people got wiped out by one?) with Elohim sets up their rivalry/antagonism. And they are making sure that history unfolds correctly to avoid paradox. Just a thought.
Dude, your thinking is right in line with my own! The name of these beings alone is extremely telling. Plus, your plausible theory goes a long way to explaining their seemingly inherent antagonistic relationship with the Elohim. Infelice mentioned that the shadow of the the hearts of the Elohim is the very thing that Linden does at the end: resurrect TC. And if what you say is true, that the Insequent are beings from the end of Time are there to make sure that it all falls out the way it's supposed to, then Linden's act is supposed to happen.

Is it just me, or does this bit seem to belong in another thread altogether?
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Spoiler
Interesting, but even the Mahdoubt has said that all of them specialize in a different form of knowledge and the Mahdought used her exceptional knowledge of time to threaten the Harrow (who could not use time travel).
No, as interesting a theory it is I don't think the Insequent are tmie traveller per se...
:2c:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I agree, they do not have to be seen as time travelers per se. It is clear that not all of them have this knowledge. However,

if their name is any indication, then their flow of time might just be backwards with respect to all other beings. They seem to have very long lives, but that could be because they emerged at the end of all things. And do they die natural deaths? The only two we know of--the Mahdoubt and the Vizard (if he's indeed dead)--only happened when they interfered with another Insequent's right to his/her own unfettered purpose.

We know that SRD chooses his names (his words) very carefully and consciously. Though Insequent may turn out to have a different meaning than what this theory poses, it's nonetheless plausible and possibly fitting with other elements to this saga.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I don't think the Mahdoubt's dead yet, actually -- she's just gone mad. Nobody's found her body. I think we'll see her again -- whether sane or insane, however, is arguable.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “Fatal Revenant”