Borderlands - Rules Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

8)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Due to a large volume of research, increasing obligations to indigenous representatives, and starting an ambitious new project for my PhD, I am going to have to take a much longer than expected break from Borderlands. It may be as much as two months and, if it is, it may just as well become permanent. My apologies to all my players for the inconvenience, but the real world has to come first.

This may not be permanent, though I think it has an equal chance of being so. Again, I'm sorry to have to do this, and I was looking forward to seeing players plot and react, but I'm just snowed under at the moment.

I shall likely dissapear from KW some time very soon, though I will continue to submit Pantheon orders and occassionally check the stat updates. Please message me if you feel the need to do so.

In the case that I do close the game, I will happily answer any questions about it.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Looking bleak.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*patiently waiting*
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Probably stating the obvious here - I will not be able to continue running this game. My deepest apologies. I will post a summary in this thread soon.

Halal Kebab
Servant of the Land

The game ending

Post by Halal Kebab »

Looking forward to the summary.

I think it probably best that we stop now anyway. I had just finished my first battalion of AT-AT Walkers and Stormtroopers. It would have been ugly.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

It's coming. I'm compiling the lists in my spare time.

The Sisters of Solace
Servant of the Land

Re: The game ending

Post by The Sisters of Solace »

Halal Kebab wrote:Looking forward to the summary.

I think it probably best that we stop now anyway. I had just finished my first battalion of AT-AT Walkers and Stormtroopers. It would have been ugly.
You can't deny
Voices deep within
Fierce is the blade that stands in your way
Bound by misfortune to lead you astray
Right of the chosen to search for a brighter day

You have seen your last tomorrow
Now I shall return
From the ashes of the fallen
I shall be reborn
As I ride across this wasteland
I will stain with blood and rage
Till the glory is restored
I am a warrior forlorn

Reach for my hand
You will see the light
G-ds of the earth have blessed you my friend
Break out from the chains you are free once again
Rise on the mountain and wait for your soul to ascend

And all together
We'll keep the flame alive
By fire and blood I'll live...again!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

While I compile summaries etc, players may want to consider this:

Please see latest post

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The funny thing is - after comparing all faction's relative strengths and weaknesses - how certain deficiencies manifested in some factions in which other players probably didn't expect.

- So far, it looks like Murrin's NWUL were ahead of the all the rest. Though they struggled on many resource fronts, they had a very impressive arsenal, and a lot of unique finds around them. They were also the most technologically advanced faction.

- Shadow's Mrykta (whose spelling always escaped me) was probably the most solid performer, on average. They had few troubles, and were doing well in almost every resource. Their one problem, was a seeming isolation for any major PC or NPC settlements and interactions. Not a lot was going on in their sector which, though that meant they were relatively safe, it also denied them the benefits of becoming more famous in the region.

- Menolly's Sisters of Solace were not nearly as badly off as she thought, and actually had one of the strongest armies in the game. Although, they had pretty much killed their chances of good population growth.

- Loremaster's Sanctus Spiritus (hands-down, a really excellent faction concept) were doing quite well, despite a sudden drastic food crises. They had seen the most action and, if they had of kept at their watch on Paradise-7, would probably have shot far ahead on the weird and wonderful technology stakes.

- Dorian's goose-stepping LSF faction were number two in the combat stakes, thanks to their invasion of the ICBM complex. They had some pesky problems - such as the fearsome Wolf of Bulvai, and Fafnir - though they were doing quite solidly. They had access to enormous potential and basically held one of the game's most powerful weapons (the ICBM complex).

- Halal's USA, despite seeming to always be scraping the barrel for scrap, actually had a first-class resource base from which to slowly, but surely, build their strengths. Being the only player to have gained the tech to onstruct sea-going vessels, they also had a unique edge. The USA's army was also quite fearfully big. Though they may have lacked the armoured punch of the NWUL, the USA had numerous professional soldiers, in well-balanced company distributions.

That's just a brief summary. I'll elaborate more when I find the time. :)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

You knew this was coming...
Montresor wrote:and actually had one of the strongest armies in the game.
Say what???
Now I'm totally confused...

I really need to figure out how to read my stat reports more accurately...

...sitting back and patiently awaiting more details...
(NOT!!! I want them NOW!!!) ;)
yeah, yeah...I'll wait.

Thanks for an excellent game, Montresor. :)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

One last update, I think. Time has gotten away from me so much, I've forgotten a lot of the details. This may be of interest to the players, though:

THE REPUBLICAN UNION

Little more than a bugbear. The Republican Union never really existed. Colonel Artemis Benton, and the whole 'government' of the RU were a complete fiction, though no-one alive knew it.

Before the war, workers fooling with sophisticated simulated AI programs, and with too much time on their hands, decided to create a computer program which aped certain facets of government and diplomacy. As fans of the early 21st century comic book hero Artemis Benton (who fought for the glory of the United Republic against such villains as the Erkirithi-Sha Empire, and the Cosmic Serpent, Eshli-Qoatle) , they decided to use some of the details of his comic sagas for their pretend government. Any faction which encountered the rare "Comic Book Store Ruins" location would have come across old samples of these comics, and had sufficient cause to be suspicious.

The RU were given a vast range of possible options, and told to react to a number of events which were transpiring around it. However, being a simple program, it only had a limited number of responses, and constantly ended up contradicting or repeating its proclamations. Housed in a central building in a major city, the program escaped destruction due to the metropolis being targeted by biological warheads, rather than conventional nuclear devices.

The program, due to its association with the manufacturing firm its makers were a part of, was linked to the same system which automated production. A simple oversight on the behalf of the programmers allowed the RU to access factories and maintain control of drones to compile resources and produce goods. Absurdly, the RU kept making its governmental decrees, based off the information it was interpreting from access to satellite technology.

Pumping out weapons, uniforms, supplies and so on, the RU haphazardly established a kind of ghost empire, in which local warlords were 'contracted' to become RU governors. Assuming, by the manufactures they were receiving, that the RU was indeed the last acting government remaining, the warlords carried out the increasingly erratic dictates of "Colonel Artemis Benton".

A fatal flaw in the computer systems of the RU led to frequent reboots and, thus, constant declarations of "The newly elected head of the RU, Colonel Artemis Benton"; "First act of State" . . . In truth, local warlords had to make up their minds how to interpret the orders of their supplier, and none really knew just how vast, but misguided, the RU empire was. Sometimes misinterpreting data, the RU could even issue orders against its own agents, as well as form sudden and inexplicable alliances with old enemies (as the NWUL would have found out soon enough). In a sense, the different representatives in the waste of the RU were like a nest of snakes, each thinking they were the heads of a vast hydra, though there never really was a body to unite them.
Last edited by Montresor on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Heh, very nice. Still wish I could've had things play out a little longer than they did, to see what was going to happen between the RU and my faction, but no matter. Game was fun while it lasted.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Thanks :D I enjoyed it, a lot. And I miss it. But I think I would have topped myself by now if I had of tried to run it and do everything else I've had to do in the last few months :)

Here's a quick comparative list of units and resources at the end of the game:

LSF
Fuel - 22
Scrap - 31
Arms - 7
Supplies - 78
Pop - 25
Military Elements
Reg - 8
Elite - 2
Non Com Elements -11
Leaders - 3
Vehicles - 1
Researched Tech - 4

USA
Fuel - 43
Scrap - 5
Arms - 7
Supplies - 30
Pop - 14
Military Elements
Reg - 15
Elite - 1
Non Com Elements - 21
Leaders - 2
Vehicles - 0
War Machines - 1
Researched Tech - 4

Sanctus Spiritus
Fuel - 22
Scrap - 37
Arms - 9
Supplies - 21
Pop - 31
Military Elements
Reg - 17
Elite - 2
Non Com Elements -17
Leaders - 2
Vehicles - 1
Researched Tech - 3

Sisters of Solace

Fuel - 13
Scrap - 6
Arms - 8
Supplies - 21
Pop - 9
Military Elements
Reg - 12
Elite - 3
Non Com Elements - 40
Leaders - 2
Vehicles - 2
Researched Tech - 3

Myrkta
Fuel - 49
Scrap - 9
Arms - 19
Supplies - 61
Pop - 42
Military Elements
Reg - 8
Elite - 6
Non Com Elements - 15
Leaders - 2
Vehicles - 4
Researched Tech - 2

NWUL
Fuel - 17
Scrap - 19
Arms - 0
Supplies - 12
Pop - 35
Military Elements
Reg - 16
Elite - 0
Non Com Elements - 14
Leaders - 2
Vehicles - 4 (3 tanks, 1 War Train!!)
Researched Tech - 6

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

If anyone has any questions re: locations or encounters, I'm happy to answer them. PM, or in this forum, I don't mind.

Thanks all for taking part in what we did actually play. Borderlands may see a reformat into something thematically similar, depending on discussions between Lore and I. One day . . .

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Heh. Funny that I had plenty of ways to make Arms, but was still scraping the barrel every turn to get any of them.
I would've gotten that second engine working eventually....
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Murrin wrote:
I would've gotten that second engine working eventually....
Had you started to research the AA guns you found and, even, the artillery, you could have combined those with your trains and really packed some serious armoured punch. There's no question that, at this stage of the game, you had the most powerful army - though you were just a turn or two from a major battle.

You had some pretty unique finds which might also have been combined with certain weaponry. Had you and Dorian exchanged info on your strange plant encounter, and his green house and botanist, you both could have made a very dangerous and unpredictable weapon . . .

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm. Only problem was I never had enough resources or orders to get that research done, and be ready for an attack which was coming "soon"...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*shakes head*

I did have an awful lot of Non Com Elements.

It was a fun, excellent learning experience.
Thanks Montresor.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Man I wish I had had the time to play. If this comes back, so will the Patwa.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Return to “Borderlands”