The Next Phase of Immigration Reform

Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

Pope meets new arrivals in Rome, says helping migrants is moral duty
Pope Francis blesses a cross featuring a refugee's life vest during a meeting with recently arrived refugees from the Greek island of Lesbos at the Vatican Dec. 19, 2019. The pope met 33 refugees and migrants who had arrived in Rome two weeks ago. (CNS/Stefano Dal Pozzolo)

Vatican City -- Before blessing a large resin cross constructed around a used orange life vest, Pope Francis insisted human beings have a "binding" moral obligation to save those whose lives are threatened, including the lives of migrants and refugees.

"We must rescue and save because we are all responsible for the lives of our neighbor and the Lord will ask us to account for them at the moment of judgment," the pope said Dec. 19 as he met 33 migrants and refugees brought to Rome two weeks earlier by Cardinal Konrad Krajewski, the papal almoner.

The group, which included 14 children and teens, arrived in Rome from the Greek island of Lesbos Dec. 4. Most were originally from Afghanistan, but there also was a woman from Togo and a young mother and her 3-month-old baby from Cameroon. The group included both Christians and Muslims.

The life vest in the center of the cross, which the pope blessed and had hung in an alcove by the guest elevators in the Apostolic Palace, was picked up by a migrant rescue organization in the central Mediterranean Sea July 3, 2019. A small plaque below the cross gives the date along with the GPS coordinates of where it was recovered.

Francis said he wanted the jacket to be part of a cross because the cross symbolizes both suffering and redemption through the triumph of Jesus. "The unknown migrant, who died hoping for a new life, participates in this victory," the pope said.

[...]

No one knows who the life vest in the cross belonged to, he said. "We are facing another death caused by injustice. Yes, because it is injustice that forces many migrants to leave their homelands. It is injustice that obliges them to cross deserts and endure abuse and torture in detention camps. It's injustice that rejects them and makes them die at sea."

Francis said he wanted to display the life vest "'crucified' on the cross to remind us that we must keep our eyes open, keep our hearts open and to remind everyone of the binding obligation to save every human life, a moral obligation that unites believers and nonbelievers."

"How can we not hear the desperate cry of our brothers and sisters who prefer facing a stormy sea rather than dying slowly in Libyan detention camps, places of torture and despicable slavery?" the pope asked.

Francis called for the closure of all detention camps in Libya, where many of the migrants and refugees attempting to reach Europe are held for a time.

And, he said, "we must set aside economic interests because at the center must be the person, every person whose life and dignity are precious in God's eyes."

[...]
How many immigrants does the Vatican City take in per year? Oh that's right! Zero.

Hashi, why do you allow religious propaganda to persist in the Tank? We have a religion forum. Why are we inundated constantly with the Pope's opinion on our moral duties? There is absolutely nothing political about a religious leader telling me how I should be living my life, or what morals I should have.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

1) linking articles does not violate any rules
2) the articles are actually on topic
3) if Wosbald does not want to have any original thoughts then who are we to deny his desire to be nothing but a parrot?
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

1) linking articles does not violate any rules
2) the articles are actually on topic
3) if Wosbald does not want to have any original thoughts then who are we to deny his desire to be nothing but a parrot?
4) because at the center must be the person, every person whose life and dignity are precious in God's eyes.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:[...]

Oh, if there's an original thought out there, I could use it right now.
-- Bob Dylan

;)

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Zarathustra wrote:[
How many immigrants does the Vatican City take in per year?
Oh that's right! Zero.
The Vatican is also surrounded by a Wall.

I say that as a Catholic who does not support
This Pope and his liberal ideology.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Lazy Luke wrote:a quotation without citing it as a quotation
If you are going to quote me then quote me.
Lazy Luke wrote:4) because at the center must be the person, every person whose life and dignity are precious in God's eyes.
Sounds like The Close. Take it up there.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

David Agren @el_reportero | Twitter
NO MORE
NO MORE FALSE ASYLUM
NO MORE "DETAIN AND RELEASE"
NO MORE ILLEGAL ENTRY INTO THE UNITED STATES
#DoNotRisk

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Owolibl woliby bolyba woloba
I saw an opportune opening and knocked it in the net, to use a footy metaphor.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fair enough, Yondu.

I saw a news story about another caravan heading north from Honduras. I would also advise them against making that journey--the only groups which will benefit from a new influx of migrants are the cartels, given that they will have a new crop from which to pick a few unwilling soldiers and some more women and children to traffick and exploit.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Priest, staff helping migrants in Guatemala receive death threats [In-Depth]
Scalabrinian Father Mauro Verzeletti pictured Jan. 12, 2020, at San Antonio Parish in Soyapango, El Salvador, discusses the worries he has over the treatment of migrants headed toward the U.S. in the latest caravan that formed in mid-January. A few days later, Verzeletti, director of the Casa del Migrante shelter in Guatemala, received death threats for his work providing migrants with humanitarian aid and is under round-the-clock protection as authorities and others worry about his safety. (Credit: CNS photo/Rhina Guidos)

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A Catholic priest helping feed and shelter migrants in Central America has filed a complaint with Guatemalan authorities after he and his staff received death threats for providing humanitarian aid for the latest mass of migrants headed toward the United States.

Father Mauro Verzeletti told Catholic News Service Jan. 23 via WhatsApp audio that he's under 24-hour protection issued by Guatemalan authorities after receiving threats in mid-January.

Verzeletti has been a vociferous critic of U.S. immigration policy involving Central America, including with Guatemala's former president Jimmy Morales, who struck a deal with U.S. President Donald Trump to designate Guatemala a "safe third country," meaning that migrants who pass through Guatemala headed north must first seek asylum there instead of heading to the U.S.

It is a deal that newly minted Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei, who took office Jan. 14, opposes.

[...]

Verzeletti, who is originally from Brazil, belongs to the religious order known as the Scalabrinians, whose charism is to help migrants. He runs shelters throughout Latin America and has called attention to the immigration crisis through the lens of the Catholic Church, which calls for taking a humanitarian approach and treating the root causes of immigration as a solution.

He also has criticized agreements that Trump has made with the government of Mexico called the Migrant Protection Protocols, or the "Remain in Mexico" policy, and the recent use of force against migrants by Mexican forces seeking to deter those trying to cross the border between Guatemala and Mexico.

In El Salvador, where he lives part of the time, he has organized a "Migrant Via Crucis" during Lent, weaving themes of the situation experienced by Central American migrants into the Stations of the Cross and what many migrants suffer on their way to the U.S.

Through his writings and other commentary, he often calls out governments for their lack of commitment to provide living conditions for the poor and has shed light on attacks -- physical, political and policy-related -- directed at migrants.

Representatives from international aid organizations denounced the threats against the priest, including Carlos Carrera Cordon, head of Guatemala's UNICEF, who expressed his support for the priest and the work of his staff via Twitter. Carrera said his organization "energetically" condemns the threats and praised the priest and his staff for caring "day and night" for children and families who are migrating.

Verzeletti also runs other Casa del Migrante shelters in Central America, helping not just those headed north but also people displaced within their own countries and protecting those who have received threats of violence from gangs or other criminal factions.

[...]

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I don't doubt he has received death threats--his work interferes with cartel business.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Texas Refugee Ban: Jesuits Speak Out

Three Jesuit superiors, leaders of their local Jesuit communities in Texas, sent a letter on Thursday, January 16 to Texas Governor Greg Abbott denouncing his decision to ban refugees from the state.

[...]

Citing the Jesuit order's presence in Texas for over a century and the religious order's commitment since 1980 to accompanying and serving refugees through Jesuit Refugee Service in the U.S. and internationally, the three Jesuit superiors wrote: "We feel compelled to express our strong disagreement with your letter to Secretary Pompeo of 10 January about ending refugee resettlement programs in Texas. We think the complaint that Texas is being called on to do more than its share in resettlement lacks proper perspective."

The letter goes on to compare refugee resettlement numbers in Texas -- 16,700 in the past three years and an additional 80,000 in the past 18 years -- to that of Uganda. That country is one-third of the size of Texas with a larger population and ranks 200th in the world in Gross Domestic Product, and is currently sheltering over 1.16 million refugees.

"Resettlement programs are meant to reduce the burden borne by poor countries like Uganda as an expression of international solidarity," continues the letter. "Texas, we feel, should continue to welcome resettled refugees and be proud that we are taking more than other states."

The letter was signed by Rev. Walter T. Sidney, S.J., rector of St. Aloysius Gonzaga Jesuit Community in Dallas, Rev. Timothy McMahon, S.J., superior of Sacred Heart Jesuit Community in El Paso, and Rev. Anthony Rauschuber, S.J., superior of the Houston Jesuit Community.

[...]

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

No Refugees Allowed. lol
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Bullshit. Until every American citizen is taken care of we should not be allowing in any more new, prospective, would-be citizens. Pro-immigrant people care more about immigrants than their own fellow citizens--why am I the only person who sees this or mentions it?
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Bullshit. Until every American citizen is taken care of we should not be allowing in any more new, prospective, would-be citizens. Pro-immigrant people care more about immigrants than their own fellow citizens--why am I the only person who sees this or mentions it?
Quite a few people see it, and it's going to cost the Democrats dearly in a few months.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Pastor apologizes for words 'hurtful to Muslims' in homily on immigration
Father Nick VanDenBroeke, pastor of Immaculate Conception in Lonsdale, Minn., is pictured in an undated photo. (Credit: Dave Hrbacek/The Catholic Spirit via CNS)

ST. PAUL, Minnesota -- A Minnesota pastor has apologized after remarks he made about Muslim immigration and Islam being "the greatest threat in the world" sparked controversy.

"My homily on immigration contained words that were hurtful to Muslims. I'm sorry for this," said Father Nick VanDenBroeke, pastor of Immaculate Conception in Lonsdale, which is south of the Twin Cities, in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.

"I realize now that my comments were not fully reflective of the Catholic Church's teaching on Islam," he said in a Jan. 29 statement.

In a homily VanDenBroeke gave Jan. 5, the feast of the Epiphany and, in Minnesota, Immigration Sunday, he acknowledged the complexity of immigration as a political issue and that the Bible challenges Catholics to "welcome strangers."

[...]

Then he said that immigrants' religion and worldview should be taken into consideration when the country decides whom to admit.

"Both as Americans and as Christians, we do not need to pretend that everyone who seeks to enter America should be treated the same," he said. "I believe it's essential to consider the religion and worldview of the immigrants and refugees. More specifically, we should not be allowing large numbers of Muslims asylum or immigration into our country. Islam is the greatest threat in the world, both to Christianity and to America."

He continued: "Of course there are peaceful Muslims, absolutely, but the religion as a religion, and an ideology and a worldview, it is contrary to Christ and to America."

"I am not saying we hate Muslims. I am absolutely not saying that. They are people created out of love by God just as each one of us is. But while we certainly do not hate them as people, we must oppose their religion and worldview," the priest said. "And if we want to protect our great country not only as a Christian nation, but also as the land of the free, then we must oppose the immigration of Muslims. That's an example of keeping bad ideas out of the country that we have the right to do as a sovereign nation."

A recording of the homily was posted on Immaculate Conception's website. It drew the attention of City Pages, the Twin Cities' alternative newsweekly, which posted a story to its website Jan. 29. The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called for the Minnesota Catholic Conference to repudiate his comments.

In a Jan. 29 statement, Archbishop Bernard A. Hebda of St. Paul and Minneapolis said he spoke with VanDenBroeke about the homily "and he has expressed sorrow for his words and an openness to seeing more clearly the Church's position on our relationship with Islam."

"The teaching of the Catholic Church is clear," Hebda said, pointing to several sources. "As Pope Benedict XVI noted, 'The Catholic Church, in fidelity to the teachings of the Second Vatican Council, looks with esteem to Muslims, who worship God above all by prayer, almsgiving and fasting, revere Jesus as a prophet while not acknowledging his divinity, and honor Mary, his Virgin Mother.' He called upon the Church to persist in esteem for Muslims, who 'worship God who is one, living and subsistent; merciful and almighty, the creator of heaven and earth, who has also spoken to humanity.'"

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

It's a shame. He apologized for making a truthful statement. Guess the archdiocese gave him a call and told him to change his tone.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
SoulBiter wrote:It's a shame. He apologized for making a truthful statement. Guess the archdiocese gave him a call and told him to change his tone.
Seems to me that the priest-in-question would no longer affirm the following as being a "truthful statement":
In the [b] [url=https://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1107970#1107970]above-linked article[/url][/b], Father Nick VanDenBroeke wrote:[...]

... "And if we want to protect our great country not only as a Christian nation, but also as the land of the free, then we must oppose the immigration of Muslims. That's an example of keeping bad ideas out of the country that we have the right to do as a sovereign nation."

[...]

Return to “Coercri”