Inconsistancies...

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

ScrapOSamadhi
Stonedownor

Inconsistancies...

Post by ScrapOSamadhi »

Having read the first chronicles half a dozen times or so and (admittedly the last chonicles once) I have noticed some inconsistancies between the last chronicles and the first and second. I haven't seen a thread to capture them here, if there already is - my appologies.

The one I remember clearest is how the One Tree got its guardian.

In WGW Covenant asked Findail about the failure of the mission:
Findail paused at the wall, answered over his shoulder. "The Worm was not made restive by his approach, for he did not win his way with combat. In that age, the One Tree had no Guardian. It was he himself who gave the Tree its ward, setting the Guardian in place so that the vital wood of the world's life would not again be touched or broken."

Berek? Covenant was too astonished to watch the Elohim melt out of the cabin. Berek had set the Guardian? Why? The Lord-Patherer had been described as both seer and prophet. Had he been shortsighted enough to believe that no one else would ever need to touch the One Tree? Or had he had some reason to ensure that there would never be a second Staff of Law?
However, in Fatal Revenant it was recounted:
Spoiler
That the Theomach accompanied Berek to the One Tree and bested in combat the Elohim who was the current guardian of the One Tree and took his place. It was (presumably) the Theomach that Brinn defeated later with Covenant. This contradicts the Elohim in two ways, first there was a Guardian already when Berek got there and second that it was some form of confrontation. I'd imagine one between the Elohim and Insequent would be a little more than the pummeling Brinn endured. Of course both parties may have fought in such a way as not to irritate the Worm as the one thing in common they cared about was the survival of the world. Of course Elohim have been known to mislead - somewhat.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We've been talking about this quite a bit in the FR forum. It would be better to continue this particular conversation there.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I almost highlighted the spoiler ...but im gonna wait. :D
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

dlbpharmd wrote:We've been talking about this quite a bit in the FR forum. It would be better to continue this particular conversation there.
Can you or anyone else link it here?
I've looked a few times for that thread and I keep missing it.
Thanks!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:We've been talking about this quite a bit in the FR forum. It would be better to continue this particular conversation there.
Thanks!
Try this.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Blackhawk wrote:I almost highlighted the spoiler ...but im gonna wait. :D
It was wise to not read it :)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

dlbpharmd wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Thanks!
Try this.

:thumbsup:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”