TC's last words

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

Ok this one has some jumping around so bear with me: Back in 2nd chron. dead Elina tells TC " Care for her beloved, so that in the end she can heal us all" and in Last chron Linden is told by Anele (I think?) that HE is the last hope of the land. Perhapes she was to aid Anele in some way instead of bringing TC back?
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

CT wrote:
Ur Dead wrote: Linden rises from the ground. She sees Thomas on his knees, a look of formication press upon him. Slowly walking as a paradox of white gold, she remembers him during their trial under Mt. Thunder. The Cavewrights passed and their nemesis confronting them. She remembers and raises high the Staff of Law. Her darkness explodes and she doesn't forgive. Forcefully beating Thomas around the head and shoulders she screams: "We had a date and you jilted me!! I had to stay behind and clean up that mess!! I had to fix the Sunbane! I had to fuse those two goons together. And I was the one who had to heal the Giants! And what did you do!! You just took off that ring and get fried! And now with all that I have gone through, you have to blame me!! Striking Thomas further, she occasionally says "Melenkurion Abatha!"
The Harrow and Elohim shake their heads, along with Linden companions they slowly drift into the hills.
Covenant vomits a chiaroscuro of blood.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Wayfriend wrote:Linden was supposed to find Covenant. It's no coincidence that the krill was right there when she found him. Caer Caveral upgraded her staff. Precisely so that it could do this. Which Linden had been thinking long and hard about, with the Staff in her hands, silently communicating with her what it was capable of.
It was Caerroil Wildwood, but no matter, SRD himself made the same mistake somewhere in Revenant.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I don't think TC's comment "what have you done" was said out of stupidity, as if he doesn't know. I translate it as "Oh my God Linden, I can't believe you just did that." If this is the real TC, he feels tremendous dismay and compassion at the same time. He loves Linden, and can understand how she feels. And he loves the Land, and knows exactly what's happened. He might have had something very different in mind when he said "you're the only one who can do this."

When Hollian (and by extension Anele) was resurrected, the Law of Life was broken. At this very same location. But Hollian was "just" a woman of the Land. Covenant is a) the white gold wielder from another world, and b) the Timewarden. The amount of power/theurgy it took to accomplish resurrecting TC must have had a tremendous effect on the Arch... which in turn has awakened the Worm. So is there now no Timewarden, no one guarding the arch? I bet Foul is quite the happy camper right now. As someone said, Joan could create some real problems w/ caesures now. Or is it no worse than before the end of WGW, when presumably there was no Timewarden?

I'm sure a lot of this has been discussed in other threads but I just joined the FR forum and haven't had time to read it yet ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

It could turn out that TC will have a special relationship with Anele because both of them were resurrected in virtually the same place. They're the only two dudes to be resurrected in the Land. In Anele's case, a Law was broken to do it. In TC's case,...? Either some Law was broken, or some new "thing" (Law?) was created. We're not sure.

But I also see something else about Anele. His name is the exact converse of Elena. (I'm sure this is no revelation to y'all.)

Wild magic graven into every rock. Thomas Covenant IS the white gold. And Anele wants to read the oldest rock. Hmmm. Connection? :?:
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Good pointing that out earthbrah..

And Loric's Krill was used to do it. Yet in TPTP it took the life of a Giant Raver. If I remember(In ROTE or FR) it was Loric who used the Krill to Slay a loremaster of the Demondin.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I see more...

There are so many parallels in this universe. Roger seems to have a special relationship with Jeremiah/croyel, so why not TC and Anele having a special relationship? Isn't it already implied by the guy's name (being the exact backwardness of Elena)?

Let's look:

Elena broke a Law (the Law of Death) to summon the spectre of Dead Kevin to defeat the Despiser (a reckless and not-well-thought-out move to be sure), and died because of it. Anele was restored to life through his mother Hollian by breaking the brother of the Law of Death: the Law of Life. And he lived as a result. A nice parallel. Elena was later made to serve the Despiser; Anele may be made to "serve" TC, whatever that might mean.
The final confrontation between TC and Elena in TPTP resulted in the original Staff of Law being shattered. Anele was the rightful bearer of Linden's Staff of Law until he lost it. Now, with TC around again Anele may be coerced into taking possession of the Staff back into his own hands. With whatever he reads in the deepest rock, he will get over his sense of inadequacy and finally serve the Earth in the way that he was meant to. He is the hope of the Land after all...
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

Is it possible that LA is doing the same thing TC did in thinking that she is the one to fix everything? Perhaps she is there only to enable Anele (and the land) ot care for themselves? Could the Creator be thinking of severing whatever connection links the land and the "real" world. Without white gold it doesn't seem possible that Foul could get out of the Arch. The way the Theomach talks about the Elohim it makes me think that they alone might be able to stop anyone from awakening the Worm.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

The way the Elohim talk they are there to stop anybody from screwing up..right? They will stop anyone from changing time to mess with the Arch as explained by the Theomach and Roger.
Why didn't they stop Linden from bringing TC back and Waking the Worm?

If the Worm is truly awake and the end is near. Linden will open a Caesure pretty quick and we are in for some more time travel!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Jerico wrote:The way the Elohim talk they are there to stop anybody from screwing up..right? They will stop anyone from changing time to mess with the Arch as explained by the Theomach and Roger.
Why didn't they stop Linden from bringing TC back and Waking the Worm?

If the Worm is truly awake and the end is near. Linden will open a Caesure pretty quick and we are in for some more time travel!

Bring me Mhoram!!!!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

earthbrah wrote:It could turn out that TC will have a special relationship with Anele because both of them were resurrected in virtually the same place. They're the only two dudes to be resurrected in the Land. In Anele's case, a Law was broken to do it. In TC's case,...? Either some Law was broken, or some new "thing" (Law?) was created. We're not sure.

But I also see something else about Anele. His name is the exact converse of Elena. (I'm sure this is no revelation to y'all.)

Wild magic graven into every rock. Thomas Covenant IS the white gold. And Anele wants to read the oldest rock. Hmmm. Connection? :?:
Yes, it is a revelation. Thanks! I had only thought of "anele" by its definition, synonymous with "anoint."
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

A Gunslinger wrote: Bring me Mhoram!!!!
I know!
I don't know who I miss more TC or Mhoram.
Seriously, if Linden brings Mhoram back somehow for at least the length of a whole book.....I'll renounce THOOLAH.....for a year maybe 2 depending on how well he's written.
But chances are better that she'll end up killing him at the end. ;)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

earthbrah wrote: Wild magic graven into every rock. Thomas Covenant IS the white gold. And Anele wants to read the oldest rock. Hmmm. Connection? :?:
I've seen several posts lately referring to the oldest rock - where is this coming from?
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

Page 470. Anele become sane again and gives some kind of criptic warning.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Indeed. Pg. 470 says: "Urgently he hissed, 'Only rock and wood know the truth of the Earth. The truth of life. But wood is too brief. Morinmoss redeemed the covenant, the white gold wielder. The Forestal sang, and Morinmoss answered. Now those days are lost. All vastness is forgotten. Unsustained, wood cannot remember the lore of the Colossus, the necessary forbidding of evils--'............

Anele gnashed his teeth. 'Forget understanding,' he snapped. 'Forget purpose.' His eyes were hints, nacre and frenetic, in his shadowed face. 'Forget the Elohim. They, too, are imperiled. Become as trees, the roots of trees. Seek deep rock.'"

Anele, make sense! :screwy:
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Deep rock and the oldest rock aren't necessarily the same thing to my reading.
Where were the Viles from, BTW?
Deep rock?
But I think this is Covenant, the Fatal Revenant of the book's title is Roger, this will be good guy coverant.
But "What have you done?" is literally, "Holy crap!"
You've awakened the worm.
Being Dead, and being the Arch of time, he'd kind of have two tracks on this.
Let sleeping worms lie.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:
Let sleeping worms lie.
Man, that's deep. (:poke:)

But seriously, you make a nice observation here. The Viles--they come from deep rock don't they. And no, deepest rock and oldest rock aren't necessarily the same thing. That distinction may in fact turn out to be important.

But how is Roger the Fatal Revenant of the title? How is he a revenant at all? He hasn't been brought back from the dead (unless I'm really stupid! :shifty: ).
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Among others, TC can be thought of as the Fatal Revenant throughout the book. At the beginning of the book, what appears to be TC is Roger all glamoured up, and his designs are definitely fatal.

Lindens act at the end, forcing TC back into Life with the combined yet opposed forces of Law and Wild Magic, brought the second Fatal Revenant into play.

Both were TC... sort of.

I also agree with the others asserting that Linden is herself a Fatal Revenant, for the reasons they have already stated.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
khalgregar
Servant of the Land

Post by khalgregar »

Re: Anele = Elena in reverse

I've asked SRD about it in person, and he said that it was just a coincidence, and that he'd not even realised it until after RoTE was released.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Man, that guy's subconscious must be a sweet place to live. |V

Return to “Fatal Revenant”