"what's the deal with Jeremiah's red car?"

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

"what's the deal with Jeremiah's red car?"

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

A question I picked up from SRD's GI, which of course SRD refused
to answer. But I think the toy car is the source of Jeremiah's magic.

Everything that comes from the "real" world has some mystical import to the Land. Remember, as an example, back in LFB Covenant was forced to strip off all his clothes, including his boots, since there was something special or unnatural about their fabric which made Covenant traceable to Rockworm.

A race car is a means of traveling quickly, as we saw on the journey to Melenkurian Skyweir.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

It's possible.

There probably are <i>metals</i> in that car after all. ;)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

You know, the first time I read this I burst out laughing. The idea of the car being a "source of power."

But after I actually thought about it for a while, it started making some sense.

My only questions are these:
-Why did Jeremiah crush and drop the car? Is he, roger, or anyone else aware of its importance?
->Yet the fact that he held onto it for so long might mean something. Was it just a ploy to convince linden (doubtful), or something else?
-Whether he knows about it or not, will linden having it curtail his power?
There probably are metals in that car after all. Wink
Some blingin' white gold rims?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Holsety wrote:You know, the first time I read this I burst out laughing. The idea of the car being a "source of power."

But after I actually thought about it for a while, it started making some sense.

My only questions are these:
-Why did Jeremiah crush and drop the car? Is he, roger, or anyone else aware of its importance?
->Yet the fact that he held onto it for so long might mean something. Was it just a ploy to convince linden (doubtful), or something else?
-Whether he knows about it or not, will linden having it curtail his power?
There probably are metals in that car after all. Wink
Some blingin' white gold rims?
Anything unnatural to the Land is a potential source of magic. That could include human flesh and bone, what Linden, Covenant, et. al. are made out of, anything "not born of the Land," which means we could take the statement "you are the white gold" almost literally.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I seriously doubt the car is a source of power. If that's the way that it turns out, then SRD is just getting silly in his old age.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Re:Jeremiah's car

Post by thranathiril »

Perhaps we will learn in the third and fourth books that there is something more powerful than white gold - RED LEAD/TIN ALLOY!!!!!

Fear the wrath of the Chosen as she wields the awe-inspiring powers of both the Staff of Law and red lead/tin alloy, using the krill of Loric to channel them to create a new Arch of Time shaped like a Mattel toy car.

Thranathiril
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Anything unnatural to the Land is a potential source of magic.
Anything, natural or not, is a potential source of magic. Is there not power in wood, and in stone?

The power of magic comes from the person. Objects are just a "means of articulation". Some are more apt than others, but everything has potential.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

dlbpharmd wrote:
I seriously doubt the car is a source of power. If that's the way that it turns out, then SRD is just getting silly in his old age.
I'll bet it's at least a symbol for his power though. It represents the first thing that got a reaction out of him in the real world. Ok, not a speaking reaction, but a reaction nonetheless.

And that's right, Linden has possession of this car. (How did that happen again?) If it were the source or outcropping of his power, would he have let her get her grubby mits on it so easily?

I didn't even give this a second thought, though the fact that she had it kept coming up. I guess I was blinded to it by all the other doings a-transpirin' in FR. Never underestimate SRD for making a seemingly inconsequential detail turn out to be significant!

thranathiril wrote:
Perhaps we will learn in the third and fourth books that there is something more powerful than white gold - RED LEAD/TIN ALLOY!!!!!
That junk ain't funny, dude. :lol:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Personally, I think it is far more likely that the car is a literary device.

Jeremiah grabbed it as he was being kidnapped, in a reaction or in some level of recognition that he was in danger.

The fact that he dropped it, I think means that he recognizes in some way that Linden was THERE, and would protect him. That he was no longer in danger.

Also...consider the color of the car. Red=Danger.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

A Gunslinger wrote:Personally, I think it is far more likely that the car is a literary device.
Amen.

A ring as a talisman of power? Sure.

But a toy car? What is this, a Disney movie?
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Re:Jeremiah's car

Post by Ur Dead »

thranathiril wrote:Perhaps we will learn in the third and fourth books that there is something more powerful than white gold - RED LEAD/TIN ALLOY!!!!!

Fear the wrath of the Chosen as she wields the awe-inspiring powers of both the Staff of Law and red lead/tin alloy, using the krill of Loric to channel them to create a new Arch of Time shaped like a Mattel toy car.

Thranathiril
Lead/Tin Alloy is known as SOLDER!!!!
The bonding agent for metals and stuff.
It is a mystery here. Two metals when combined has a lower melting point than the two original metals.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

earthbrah wrote:dlbpharmd wrote:
I'll bet it's at least a symbol for his power though. It represents the first thing that got a reaction out of him in the real world. Ok, not a speaking reaction, but a reaction nonetheless.

And that's right, Linden has possession of this car. (How did that happen again?) If it were the source or outcropping of his power, would he have let her get her grubby mits on it so easily?

I didn't even give this a second thought, though the fact that she had it kept coming up. I guess I was blinded to it by all the other doings a-transpirin' in FR. Never underestimate SRD for making a seemingly inconsequential detail turn out to be significant!

thranathiril wrote:
That junk ain't funny, dude. :lol:
Then how about someone writing a "Legend of Red Lead/Tin Alloy"?

There is wild magic graven in every rock
contained for red lead/tin alloy to unleash or control.
Red lead/tin alloy
not born of the Land...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Did you guys see this in the Runes Forum? Significance of the toy car?
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Not too sure it was Jeremiah who dropped it as much as the Cryol (sp) who, feeding off him, crushed it before dropping it and running away with Roger. Perhaps the car is indeed a source of power, but when crushed it looses that power. Watch for Linden to uncrush the car somday and have it become a another source/ehnancement of earthpower, as is the orcrest stone.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

I will be UBER Pissed
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Seppi2112 wrote:I will be UBER Pissed
So will I!
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Most likely it's just a piece of a not-yet built doorway.

Remember that Jeremiah needs a specific "recipe" which varies from doorway to doorway. It's quite possible the car will be used to create an important door in the future.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Krilly wrote:
It's quite possible the car will be used to create an important door in the future.
Now that's just downright more plausible than the car being uncrushed and thereby unleashing its Tonka power.

I have more faith in SRD than to even consider the notion that the car is some sort of talisman of power. His imagination is far richer than that weakness!

Death to this idea of the car bearing some sort of power. :rocket:
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

earthbrah wrote:Krilly wrote:
It's quite possible the car will be used to create an important door in the future.
Now that's just downright more plausible than the car being uncrushed and thereby unleashing its Tonka power.

I have more faith in SRD than to even consider the notion that the car is some sort of talisman of power. His imagination is far richer than that weakness!

Death to this idea of the car bearing some sort of power. :rocket:
Hahaha!! Don't you see!? THE CAR BEING CRUSHED UNLEASHED ITS POWER!!! AND AS YOU CRUSH THE IDEA OF THE CAR, YOU UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE IDEA OVER YOU BY OBSESSING OVER ITS ELIMINATION!!
Soren Kierkegaard wrote:Dread is an alien power which lays hold of an individual, and yet one cannot tear oneself away, nor has the will to do so; for one fears what one desires.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Krilly wrote:Most likely it's just a piece of a not-yet built doorway.

Remember that Jeremiah needs a specific "recipe" which varies from doorway to doorway. It's quite possible the car will be used to create an important door in the future.
Great idea! So that explains why I start crazy threads like this one... :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS:

Return to “Fatal Revenant”