Insequent Names

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

wayfriend

Insequent Names

Post by wayfriend »

The Insequent have very interesting and informative names. Knowing Donaldson, knowing what they mean would probably tell us a lot about who they are.

Let's start with Insequent. Insequent is actually a real word. It means "random", in the sense of random-access: not predicated by a cause. It is the opposite of "subsequent" or "consequent". Insequential means "belonging to no particular sequence".

When I first read of the Insequent, I assumed that this referred somehow to a time-travelling ability. The Insequent were "timeloose", not burdened or restricted by linear time.

Then, as things went forward, I discovered that being timeloose was not the rule for the Insequent. The Theomach has it, and the Mahdoubt has it. But as many Insequent do not have it. In fact, it is probably the exception rather than the rule.

Furthermore, it seems that slipping through time is a trait or a lore that they acquire purposefully; they are not born with it. So it makes even less sense for a race to name themselves Insequent for that reason.

Surely the word's meaning plays a part in Donaldson's vision of them. But I cannot see how it would apply. Other than to think, it means that they are without any apparent cause; inexplicable.

The Insequent choose names for themselves so as to discourage use of their real name. We can assume therefore that the names they choose have a meaning, both to the character as well as to the author.

Among the Insequent is the Theomach. Another real word. Theomachy means "battle with the gods", or "battle among the gods". Theomachist and theomach are "someone who opposes divinity or who fights against God or the gods”.

Most interesting. Is the Theomach someone who fights the gods? or who fights for the gods? And who are these gods?

I can only assume right know that the Theomach contends against the Elohim, whose name, of course, means "gods".

And I cannot help but think about how the Theomach dedicated his life to reaching the One Tree, to become the Guardian ... to be merged with a Haruchai and possibly an Elohim as well. What battle does he intend to participate in, armed with so much might?

Then there is the legendary Vizard. A vizard is a mask, a guise. For either disguise, or for protection. In plural, vizard, or visored or vaizard, are masked soldiers.

The application of this definition to the character seems rather obvious. The Vizard considers himself a warrior. But is he in disquise? Or is it merely that his name is a guise he wears to protect himself from other Insequent?

And then there is our bad guy Insequent, the Harrow. To harrow is to pillage, to plunder; to torment, to vex, as in a "harrowing experience". A harrow is also a farming implement, a set of spikes drawn throuth the earth to pulverize the soil; a rake.

Certainly the Harrow is vexing. Certainly he seems out to plunder Linden's most valuable possessions.

The fact that he wears a brooch shaped like a plowshare suggests the third meaning of the word as well. Perhaps he considers himself someone who creates fertile ground from unyeilding soil; someone who harvests what he sows. People might choose names like The Reaper or The Scythe in order sound daunting, as if their profession is mowing people down. The Harrow's name seems to be of this ilk.

Certainly he is a rake.

And then there is the Mahdoubt. Ah, the Mahdoubt. We've had three years to figure out what her name means, and have had no luck. Alas.

But now we do know that she is different from the other Insequent. The other Insequent choose names with meanings, but she did not. Does that, in itself, have meaning? Or does it prompt us to search harder for the meaning of that word mahdoubt?
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I suggest that the Mahdoubt is a spliced together name.

I pronounce it mad-out, so it is easy for me to see how she might easily go mad at the end of her life, as it is part of her name.

Also, the full word itself reminds me of a similar sounding word, redoubt.

Among its several denotations, a redoubt can be a small, often temporary defensive fortification. Is this not the service that she provided to Linden, temporarily defending her from the Harrow?

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Theomach
Servant of the Land

Re: Insequent Names

Post by Theomach »

Wayfriend wrote: Among the Insequent is the Theomach. Another real word. Theomachy means "battle with the gods", or "battle among the gods". Theomachist and theomach are "someone who opposes divinity or who fights against God or the gods”.

Most interesting. Is the Theomach someone who fights the gods? or who fights for the gods? And who are these gods?

I can only assume right know that the Theomach contends against the Elohim, whose name, of course, means "gods".
it sounded like all of the Insequent were against the Elohim. (or the Elohim were against the Insequent)

although that the Theomach is specifically against the Elohim sounds very possible, i still think that he is opposing an elder god... Lord Foul! :biggrin:
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Wayfriend wrote:The Insequent have very interesting and informative names. Knowing Donaldson, knowing what they mean would probably tell us a lot about who they are.

Let's start with Insequent. Insequent is actually a real word. It means "random", in the sense of random-access: not predicated by a cause. It is the opposite of "subsequent" or "consequent". Insequential means "belonging to no particular sequence".

When I first read of the Insequent, I assumed that this referred somehow to a time-travelling ability. The Insequent were "timeloose", not burdened or restricted by linear time.

Then, as things went forward, I discovered that being timeloose was not the rule for the Insequent. The Theomach has it, and the Mahdoubt has it. But as many Insequent do not have it. In fact, it is probably the exception rather than the rule.

Furthermore, it seems that slipping through time is a trait or a lore that they acquire purposefully; they are not born with it. So it makes even less sense for a race to name themselves Insequent for that reason.

Surely the word's meaning plays a part in Donaldson's vision of them. But I cannot see how it would apply. Other than to think, it means that they are without any apparent cause; inexplicable.

The Insequent choose names for themselves so as to discourage use of their real name. We can assume therefore that the names they choose have a meaning, both to the character as well as to the author.

Among the Insequent is the Theomach. Another real word. Theomachy means "battle with the gods", or "battle among the gods". Theomachist and theomach are "someone who opposes divinity or who fights against God or the gods”.

And I cannot help but think about how the Theomach dedicated his life to reaching the One Tree, to become the Guardian ... to be merged with a Haruchai and possibly an Elohim as well. What battle does he intend to participate in, armed with so much might?

Then there is the legendary Vizard. A vizard is a mask, a guise. For either disguise, or for protection. In plural, vizard, or visored or vaizard, are masked soldiers.

The application of this definition to the character seems rather obvious. The Vizard considers himself a warrior. But is he in disquise? Or is it merely that his name is a guise he wears to protect himself from other Insequent?

And then there is our bad guy Insequent, the Harrow. To harrow is to pillage, to plunder; to torment, to vex, as in a "harrowing experience". A harrow is also a farming implement, a set of spikes drawn throuth the earth to pulverize the soil; a rake.

Certainly the Harrow is vexing. Certainly he seems out to plunder Linden's most valuable possessions.

The fact that he wears a brooch shaped like a plowshare suggests the third meaning of the word as well. Perhaps he considers himself someone who creates fertile ground from unyeilding soil; someone who harvests what he sows. People might choose names like The Reaper or The Scythe in order sound daunting, as if their profession is mowing people down. The Harrow's name seems to be of this ilk.

Certainly he is a rake.

And then there is the Mahdoubt. Ah, the Mahdoubt. We've had three years to figure out what her name means, and have had no luck. Alas.

But now we do know that she is different from the other Insequent. The other Insequent choose names with meanings, but she did not. Does that, in itself, have meaning? Or does it prompt us to search harder for the meaning of that word mahdoubt?
It means "stop doubting" or, inversely, "be true."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:It means "stop doubting" or, inversely, "be true."
All I can come up with that seems relevant is:

misdoubt: to doubt

mahdi: a messiah or leader, from Arabic, "rightly guided one". Once can believe in mahdism, and be a mahdist.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Wayfriend wrote:Among the Insequent is the Theomach. Another real word. Theomachy means "battle with the gods", or "battle among the gods". Theomachist and theomach are "someone who opposes divinity or who fights against God or the gods”.
I love the theory that Theomach means the same as Deus ex Machina and the name is a private joke of the author's.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

The Vizard is certainly against the Elohim... he wanted Jeremiah to constuct a trap for them (at least if Jere-croyel, Roger, and the Harrow can be believed).

And remember that the Mahdoubt's name is a tribute to the Shadout Mapes from Dune. SRD has also said how she "surprised" him by growing into more of a character than he'd first envisioned... maybe the entire Insequent, or at least their importance, were a late discovery? If so, he didn't need to give her a meaningful name 3 years ago, but the rest then got them.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Relayer wrote:maybe the entire Insequent, or at least their importance, were a late discovery?
That might be a polite way of saying they were needed to make sense of the plot.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Interesting topic, WayFriend!

WF said:
I know how the battle sequence went in TOT, and what Brinn said to the company after he defeated Aku (that he was both Brinn and Aku), however the merging of Brinn into Theomach, and an earlier Elohim whom the Theomach apparently bested also merged into Theomach -- then we have this being who is part haruchai, part elohim, and part Insequent.

Is this awkward to anyone else?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iQuestor wrote:Is this awkward to anyone else?
I like it because it fits in with what Esmer has been doing. He has been blaming the Haruchai for "what they had done". Unleashing "havoc".

Now, it's possible that Esmer speaks of himself as the havoc. But it would be more Donaldsonian to let the ambiguity hide something else that the Haruchai had done. After all - he is never explicit about what the Haruchai have done that is so upsetting to Esmer.

Secondly, also Infelice mentions ak-Haru, and his intention to affect the Würd, to cause a disaster. Again, the haning implication is that the disaster is that Brinn let TC into the Isle, and everything we know happened at the One Tree. But it's never explicitly stated. Except that the Harrow remarks how Infelice misleads with the truth! So, again, the implication is that there is another disaster caused by Brinn's ascension.

Then there is the fact that SRD added the bit about the Elohim Guardian. To a story that was already told, and without an Elohim Guardian. SURELY this means that some part of the story is going to devolve by what ak-Haru has done there. Something that we don't know yet. (Not to mention that he got an Insequent thrown into the story as well.)

So I think that we will discover another important thing that was caused by Brinn's becoming ak-Haru. Something that involves the Elohim Guardian. Something that Infelice does not like. Something that maybe Esmer calls havoc.

"Battling the gods" qualifies as havoc.

Finally, the big Elohim parlor trick is to merge with other things, become something else. And Brinn merged with the prior ak-Haru to be the new ak-Haru. The coincidence can't be ignored. You would have to argue how it could NOT be that an Appointed Elohim Guardian merged with the Theomach, and then with Brinn ... it is almost assured.

I think it fits. It's not a lock, but it fits.
Last edited by wayfriend on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Good points WF. As usual, there are more questions than answers. I don't know if this also fits, but...
iQuestor wrote:then we have this being who is part haruchai, part elohim, and part Insequent.
In a strange way, this sounds suspiciously like a mirror of Esmer. He's certainly the first two...

In the context of Kastenessen's lover, we don't know what "a mortal woman" really means. Although I think we've all assumed it means someone like a Woodhelven girl or a woman of Bhrathair or some such "normal" person, we could be wrong. What if she's one of the Insequent? I suppose one could say they're "mortal." Or the whole "he loved a mortal woman" story could be another bit of obfuscationary legerdemain by the always forthcoming Elohim.

Now that I think about it, it's hard to imagine an Elohim falling in love with a normal human -- the Elohim generally regard humans like we regard ants. But the Insequent are more similar... and I could certainly understand the Elohim getting pissed at Kasty if he hooked up w/ one of them ;-)

Maybe this explains why the Elohim and Insequent dislike each other so much. We haven't been told anything about that story or the background of the Insequent yet.

And maybe it also explains some of Esmer's powers.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Excellent idea!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

In the context of Kastenessen's lover, we don't know what "a mortal woman" really means. Although I think we've all assumed it means someone like a Woodhelven girl or a woman of Bhrathair or some such "normal" person, we could be wrong. What if she's one of the Insequent? I suppose one could say they're "mortal." Or the whole "he loved a mortal woman" story could be another bit of obfuscationary legerdemain by the always forthcoming Elohim.
Very good observation. This does make a bit of sense. Kastenessen was appointed (punished) for consorting with an Insequent. It also would be a base for why the Insequent want to humilated the Elohim or get rid of them. They are a vengence driven. Plus it was a bit diffucult to understand how a "normal mortal" woman was able to readily create the Merewives. Now if the "mortal woman" was an Insequent, they have an aptitude for lore that could have been used when Kastenessen taught her.

Maybe this is the darkness in the Elohim's heart.
Very good speculation Relayer. :)
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Relayer wrote:The Vizard is certainly against the Elohim... he wanted Jeremiah to constuct a trap for them (at least if Jere-croyel, Roger, and the Harrow can be believed).

And remember that the Mahdoubt's name is a tribute to the Shadout Mapes from Dune. SRD has also said how she "surprised" him by growing into more of a character than he'd first envisioned... maybe the entire Insequent, or at least their importance, were a late discovery? If so, he didn't need to give her a meaningful name 3 years ago, but the rest then got them.
Where did he say these things? On the GI?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ur Dead wrote:Plus it was a bit diffucult to understand how a "normal mortal" woman was able to readily create the Merewives.
It does say that she gained her powers by learning from Kastenessen. (Maybe she was the first Insequent?)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

In the context of Kastenessen's lover, we don't know what "a mortal woman" really means. Although I think we've all assumed it means someone like a Woodhelven girl or a woman of Bhrathair or some such "normal" person, we could be wrong. What if she's one of the Insequent?
HOT DAMN that's the best speculation I've seen yet! Relayer :Hail: That makes perfect sense to me.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Relayer wrote:The Vizard is certainly against the Elohim... he wanted Jeremiah to constuct a trap for them (at least if Jere-croyel, Roger, and the Harrow can be believed).

Where did he say these things? On the GI?
No, I think they were both in interviews... maybe among ones linked on his site? Anyone else remember?

callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

It should be noted that the symbolism of the Harrow's name is reinorced by that copper plow thing he wears. And I would think that that would give you some clue as to his rather mysterious motivations for wanting the ring and staff.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... he wants to farm with them? :)
callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

Nope he wants to plow them under and recreate the earth.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”