DEXTER!!!

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

There are just so many variables going into next season. Will Trinity striking so close to home make Deb or Quinn suspicious of Dex? Who gets custody of Rita's kids? How is he going to manage as a single dad?
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

The Dreaming wrote:There are just so many variables going into next season. Will Trinity striking so close to home make Deb or Quinn suspicious of Dex? Who gets custody of Rita's kids? How is he going to manage as a single dad?
i'd say quinn certainly and deb possibly too since she's just revealed (so she thinks) to dex who he is.

and i think the suspicions will depend a lot on how he handles the situation. we didn't see anything but him standing there holdin harrison.
whats he gonna do? stand there wiggin till somebody comes and finds him?
or is he gonna call deb? that would be my guess.

or are the writers going to time shift forward and we'll have to get what happened in flashback exposition?

custody would depend largely on what living relatives rita has and living relatives of their bio daddys. for some reason i can't see dex keeping them but anything's possible i suppose. heh.

it'll be interesting to see how it pans out, eh? :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Just for the record, I am a huge fan of the show, and have now written a post on my blog about it: zahirblue.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-friend-dexter.html
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

So there IS a Dexter thread ...

Just a bump to say I really like this show. Started earlier in the year, am up to episode 3 in season 5.

I knew I was hooked when in season 2 I found myself hoping he could kill someone. 8O

What a shocker at the end of season 4! But it looks like he's getting off the hook for 2 of his 3 dependencies.

Dexter's sister is not hot. But Lilah is. Was. I blame the accent.

Waiting for the villian of season 5 to emerge. I hope it's not the roadkill guy. I hope it's Quinn. :twisted:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

And it's over.

A disappointing end to a disappointing show. A great premise ruined by indifferent and lazy writing and direction. Season 4 (Trinity) gave me hope, but then there was Season 5 to remind me how awful the show could be.

And oh God, was the finale awful. The whole season's been bad, but there was at least a chance that it could have been wrapped up well. Nope.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

That finale was beyond stupid!

I can't believe someone actually sat down and wrote that script and they actually filmed it. It was horrible IMO.

I wish I could go back in time and un-watch the last 3 seasons :(
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay ...
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

How would you folks have wrapped up an 8 year series? I thought it was better than the Sopranos ending.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

For starters, the show WAY overstayed its welcome. Showtime was making a pile of money on it, and kept it around way too long. Quite frankly, everything important could have been condensed down into 4 really good seasons, culminating in Dexter either being killed or captured after being outed as the Bay Harbor Butcher.

The Jimmy Smitts and Eddie Olomos seasons both could have been condensed into 3 or 4 episode arcs. Hannah should have been excised from the show entirely.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Cail wrote:Hannah should have been excised from the show entirely.
Especially since they teased us with nudity and all we saw was Dexter's butt :(

Anyway... how would I have ended the series?

Dexter needed to pay for his crimes. Even though he only killed the "bad guys", he was breaking the law. On some other site, I saw someone who posted his version of the ending. It was similar to "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge" if you are familiar with that. Basically, the entire series would have boiled down to a flashback in Dexter's mind as he was being strapped in for a lethal injection. The final episode ends with him coming back to the present and looking over into the gallery and seeing all his victims watching him be executed.

That would have been better than what we got I think, but still not sure that would have worked though.

I would have loved to see Deb turn against him. After he led her to kill LaGuerta (and after her time with Dexter's brother in season 1), I wanted her to turn things around and dedicate herself to stopping him. Then the ending could be some big showdown between the two of them and Deb shoots him.

Barring that, then Hanna and Mizuka's daughter wrestling nude in jello would have been a good way to fill that final episode!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It comes down to believability. We have to accept that the Miami Metro police are all idiots (except for Doakes). We also have to accept that the US Marshals are idiots, as is the dead Carradine brother.

Change the chronology of a few things, and have Deb catch or kill him at the end of the 4th season when he's outed as the BHB. And for God's sakes, forget the whole Pinocchio subplot. Dexter was never going to be a real boy.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We started this on Netflix after finishing Walking Dead (S3). The first season was good, the second even better, then it turned into a soap opera in the third. Suddenly all the women got makeovers (or even plastic surgery, for Rita) and love stories became the focus, instead of a bizarre juxtaposition to the murders, which had up until now provided or an interesting source of tension. Is this worth continuing? Does it get any better after S3?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

The season with John Lithgow (S4? I think?) is awesome. After that you can stop watching it :)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Akasri wrote:The season with John Lithgow (S4? I think?) is awesome. After that you can stop watching it :)
This. Season 4 is fantastic. There are some decent moments after that, but nothing to compare with Trinity.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I thought the season with Hanks and Olmos was worth sticking around for. It's not awesome, but better than reruns of CSI.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

wayfriend wrote:I thought the season with Hanks and Olmos was worth sticking around for. It's not awesome, but better than reruns of CSI.
There were some decent parts in that season, but overall the season left me flat. Without spoiling too much... I wish Olmos and Hanks had been reversed. But that's probably because I like Olmos a lot.

The season with Yvonne Strahovski (sp?) had some decent moments too, except for the lack of nudity on Yvonne's part :)

I just feel the series could have ended after Season 4 and nobody would have complained much.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Halfway through S4, it's got the same problems as S3: pointless romances that do not advance the plot or develop the characters. I couldn't care less about the Lieutenant and Sergeant hooking up ... I've been fast forwarding through their pointless scenes. The new guy and the reporter add nothing, except some boobs every now and then. The Vacation Killers add nothing except a diversion from Trinity, and the misdirection of Lundy's killer. Lundy himself adds nothing, except a chance for Deb to have a cry scene, and a brief love triangle with a character she has already dated in S2 ... a retired old fart. I suppose he does lead Dexter to Trinity with his tape recorder, but that could have been accomplished in other ways.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Welcome to the frustration of Dexter.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

My daughter's home from college and catching up on the show, so we've been watching a bit together. I'd forgotten Ray Stevenson's character, and have to say that he was a real bright spot.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

S4 ended strong. Turns out the female reporter had quite a lot to do with the plot after all! Thanks for not spoiling that one. :lol:

S5 is starting out nicely, too, by following up on the aftermath. I'm really glad Dexter is out of the homemaker trajectory of the last two seasons. Sure, he has a kid now. But the wife thing was dragging down the story.

Trinity was awesome. The confrontation in the police department was one of the ballsiest things I've seen from any character on this show.

Return to “TV Shows”