American Thanksgiving

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Stonemaybe wrote:|G Menolly
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sorry about you health issues, Menolly, but like SD said, glad you are dealing with your health issues right now.

As for me, no plans. I declined several invites because I am bitch these days and not fit for civilized society. (can I say bitch?) Ah what the hell...bitch, bitch, bitch. (can I say hell?) I don't give a damn.... hell, hell, hell (can I say damn?)..................
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I may be tough on the use of some words and images here in The Galley, but the above are fine for the Watch's PG-rating, IMO.

|G to you, lorin.
I hope things get on an even keel for you soon.
...and I hope you reconsider accepting an invite. While it may force you to be "civilized," it may still break through whatever dragons are personally challenging you. At least for a day...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, all. If y'all could focus them on the 28th and after, I will be grateful. :hearts:
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Mini-Thanksgiving was a success!

The turkey was the star of the dinner. Brined and roasted turkey seems easy to me -- no messing with an oven bag, the brining virtually guarantees a moist bird, and roasting it without bag or cover results in excellent browning which means extra flavor. Combine that with a relatively small bird (10lbs) and the results are super juicy and flavorful. Looking forward to leftover turkey sandwiches for supper tonight!
The stuffing recipe I tried ended up being to liquidy to make stuffins, so I baked it in a dish instead. The flavor was pretty good -- partly pumpernickel, lots of herbs, and a pound of bacon---but the consistency was not my favorite. It started out very wet, and used eggs to set in the oven, so it ended up being in the middle between a traditional dry "Yankee" stuffing and the wet dressing that my family makes. I probably won't make that one again.
The double-cream mashed potatoes were good... and a brined turkey makes copious drippings which translate into excellent turkey gravy.
Another breakout of the meal was the butternut squash bisque. Roasting fresh cubed squash made for a slightly sweeter tasting soup, enhanced by the sauteed onion and carrot base. Vegetable stock kept it light - this was a meat-free dish. A touch of pepper and allspice, then blitzed it hot in the blender to make it uniform, and then the real magic, adding just 1/2 cup of heavy cream to transform it into satiny liquid gold. Silky smooth, and bursting with a soft-touch creamy flavor.
Pumpkin pie bars, and bourbon & chocolate bread pudding afterwards, when it became possible to pretend we had room for dessert. Both very tasty.
The whole affair was fun to prep, execute, and enjoy.
On Thursday, I will attend my family's traditional Thanksgiving, where I barely have to lift a finger. That will be fun, too.

dw

P.S. -- Menolly.... [hug].... will be thinking of you in the coming days, with prayers and such. Wrap your family around you. And remember you have digital family waiting for you when you log in here.
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The mini-Thanksgiving sounds awesome, dw!

Have you ever tried doing your stuffing in the crockpot? If it was really wet, I would put the lid askew the last couple of hours or so, but I really like the way stuffing in the crockpot turns out. Reminds me of actual stuffing baked in bird, without the potential bacterial threats.

I love butternut squash soups. Serious Eats published a recipe that calls for apples and fresh ginger be added. I may have to give that a try later in the season when it starts really getting cool here.

And thanks for the well wishes. I know I have the Watch family to turn to when needed. I'll probably post a more blatant post requesting good thoughts in the How Do You Feel thread late Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. But I am bringing my laptop in hospital with me, as Shands supposedly as free wifi. So, I am hoping the Watch is busy that day. At least until they put me under...
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Menolly wrote:At least until they put me under...
Omnipresent you
Surely can chat and do posts
While anesthetized
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

DPJ...
:|
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Menolly.

I'll be making this from scratch, warm ginger cake, caramel sauce and pumpkin ice cream for my dessert contribution as well as the savory yams as my dinner contribution. I think this is the least I've done in ten years....
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Here it is, the eve of Thanksgiving and time to bump-and-update this classic thread.

First and foremost, there is much to be thankful for:
  • All are healthy
    Dam-et is doing well in his first quarter at Uni
    I have been offered permanent full-time employee status by the company for which I have worked on contract for the past year
    Six months ago, Dam-sel and I welcomed Savor Rhee (whom attentive Watchers know by another name... ;) ) as a member of our household
As you might expect, Savor Rhee is putting her own special touch on Thanksgiving. Here is the menu she is doing:
  • Turkey (dry brined ala Kenji Lopez-Alt and roasted ala Alton Brown)
    Crockpot Dressing
    Yam Casserole
    Carrot Souffle (in the role of the traditional "tall pudding")
    Green Bean Casserole
    Pea Salad
    Cranberry-Orange Relish
All of which is more than enough food for the four of us. Having been the cook for Dam-sel and Dam-et for all these years, it has been a bit of an adjustment to not have to do so much, but I am happy to be demoted to being her sous chef.

The one thing I am doing on my own is a layered cheesecake, pumpkin over white chocolate.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I would have liked to have planned a soup course to start the meal, and possibly hors d'oeuvres for earlier in the day. But adjusting to a new family does involve give and take, and I'm being told what is planned is already more than enough...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Rest assured...there wil be nibbles prior to the main meal, as well as potables before and during.
:beer:

:twisted:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:as well as potables before and during.
:roll:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote:
OK, fine...and after too!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Smoked turkey ... man, there is no better way to experience this Thanksgiving tradition. I don't brine it. I just salt and pepper it, then cook low-and-slow (225F) for 5 hours on hickory smoke (breasts only this year). The juiciest, most tender and delicious turkey in the world.

And lots of other stuff ....
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I got a colleague who is from Californy. Whenever she comes back from a trip to LA she brings me stuff like nuclear hot sauces or liquid smoke - thing not easy to get over here in Germany.

A week back she was very unhappy because Thanksgiving (the US date - over here it already was Nov 10) was near and she forgot to buy pumpkin pie spice last time she was abroad. So Doc Vader went to his lab and created some for her as a present. It might not be much and doing it was not exactly rocket "surgery" but at least I made someone happy.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm doing the usual this year. 8) The only difference is that I'm swapping out the broccoli for acorn squash. Which reminds me, I'd better get going on that... Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:
Menolly wrote:
OK, fine...and after too!
Well, so far, all I've had was the prosecco with dinner.
Yummy!

...but I'm glad to hear the macerating liquid worked well for your tiddley earlier today.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Might I interest you in a cordial glass of amaretto with your cheesecake and coffee?

As for the pre-drinks...further, deponent sayeth naught. 8)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:Might I interest you in a cordial glass of amaretto with your cheesecake and coffee?
If the coffee isn't decaf, I'll need something to counter caffeine this late at night...
Savor Dam wrote:As for the pre-drinks...further, deponent sayeth naught. 8)
...and again. :roll:
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

have a horrible cold and been running a fever. have not been able to make the meal i wanted to. (pork chops, asparagus, figgy pudding, stuffed mushrooms.)

we will do that meal at a later date. we had the traditional turkey with all the fixings at julie's sister's house. along with three of julie's nephews and their families. and julie's brother and his wife. and julie's sister and her husband. and of course julie's mom.

my mother-in-law's birthday is around the same time so we always celebrate that. we got her some pj's, slippers and a teddy bear this year.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The Galley”